Bariatric Surgery Myths

Options
JamesAztec
JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
Part of my nutrition education through my dietician was to watch this bariatric surgeon's video. Here's one on Surgery Myths. They seem to make a lot of sense to me. Was wondering what other people's thoughts might be?

https://youtu.be/z5nm1GXqrm4

Replies

• cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It mostly made sense to me, but I don't understand why he's saying seltzer is A-OK but diet soda isn't. (Beyond the slippery slope into bad habits)

I am hopeful that eventually I can readd seltzer, because I really enjoy a bit of fizz in my water. But if I can't, c'est la vie.
  • Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is the exact opposite of what my doctor says. So who do we believe.?
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My doctor said no carbonation because it expands in the stomach so for bypass patients can restretch and for those with the sleeve, since there's nothing to stretch, it can be painfull and if you have it before you are healed can cause major leak issues. That said, I'm sleeved and the only flavored water I drink is carbonated. I get very uncomfortable from carbonation so I shake out the carbonation. I'm sure I still get a little, but not enough to cause a problem.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I can't do carbonation. I get super bloated and it's uncomfortable. It's not something I even want to try at this point! (9 months)
  • Kleona29
    Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think that was interesting. I'm a little unsure about the carbonation. I think I'll skip that for awhile to be on the safe side. But I really liked his focus on listening to your body. That's a skill I need to learn. Also, I worry about stepping right back into my addictions so I'll focus on that also. Thanks for sharing.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have tried carbonated drinks on a few occasions -- glass of champagne at Christmas. I love champagne and will probably do this again (I am almost two years out btw). But it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable and weird in my stomach. I have no interest in doing this on a regular basis or trying something like soda or beer. I don't believe it is stretching anything but it is not comfortable for me. Also, I just don't really think soda or beer or anything along those lines is particularly good for you.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Bugged53 wrote: »
    This is the exact opposite of what my doctor says. So who do we believe.?

I watched the video and this Dr is consistent with my Dr and most of the people on this list.
    Every Dr can pursue his own theory that's what it means to practice medicine. Most Dr's work collaboratively with each other to establish best practices. What I heard very clearly was we are all different and to listen to our bodies.

Randy. (registered nurse)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I agree with Randy, and everyone else, that we learn what is right for us. No general concepts will work the same for all. Find your good life and love yourself through it all! Best to all!
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with the school of thought that carbonation causes bloating and discomfort. I choose not to drink it because there is absolutely no nutritional value and doesn't count towards fluid consumption.