Ouch! Help

Options
mebeep
mebeep Posts: 38 Member
I just had my braces put on as of Monday. Boy my mouth is so sore!! I'm finding it impossible to follow Keto WOE . I cannot chew and am falling back into the green monster smoothie, high carb yogert , starchy soup world because I cannot chew. I think I can handle scrambled eggs and broth but what else could one in my predicament eat? I'm ok with a slightly higher carb intake of 50g . Do you guys have any ideas? I need to adapt, these braces will be on for 18 months and adjusted every 6 weeks making my ability to eat meat probably only every 5 th week and only for a week at a time. What would you do?

Replies

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat meat to do keto. There's eggs, protein powder, cheese, sour cream, full fat yogurt, HWC, butter, coconut oil, bone broth, fat bombs (suck on them?), avocado, nut butters, mayo, etc. If you really want meat, maybe you could handle ground beef? If you want to make it work, you'll make it work!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You can make keto-friendly smoothies, too. Heavy cream, a low-carb secondary liquid (I like unsweetened almond milk), leafy greens, avocado, a scoop of low carb protein powder in your flavor of choice (for flavoring and some protein) or other low-carb flavoring item of choice (nut butters tend to be a pretty good option), a little low-carb sweetener if needed to cut bitterness or whatever, and you're good to go!

If you have a good enough blender, you can also blend up meats into a pudding like consistency, like what people often do for babies, but I don't know how appetizing that actually is. You can get away with a raw egg in your smoothie, though, for added fat, protein, and nutrients.

Don't forget Bulletproof Coffee and its variants. You can actually chill it, and probably even make it into a sort of "coffee shake" thing, after you've emulsified the fats (ie - blended the ingredients well with a blender), so they shouldn't separate out when you cool it down.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    ohhh poor baby…your mouth will adjust, honest. Look for full fat whole milk yogurt vs the carb stuff, when you can eat soft meats like pork and chicken,they will shred and stick, as will berry seeds, so look into a water pic machine to clean, blend cherries and non berry LC fruit. Adding the raw egg as Dragon says can work if you know the source, my mom used to feed us one nightly in hot chocolate to bulk us up on nutrition ( gee, thanks mom!) Soft cheese, cream cheese with fine chopped bacon. Kids have braces for years and manage to chew everything so it may be just building a little jaw muscle, and patience. (your jaw isn't wired shut, right? just braces? why every 5 weeks for meat?)
  • mebeep
    Options
    Yea, I'm probably just a big baby right now. And yes the kids do eventually eat everything in sight even with braces. I think I'll just need a plan for the times when I'm tightened. You have all given me great ideas, thanks
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had braces, I know how bad it hurts. I had trouble sleeping the first few days. Tylenol can help the constant ache. You'll feel better and be able to eat better in about 2 weeks. I ate oatmeal for breakfast and soups or soft pasta for dinner/lunch but thats not so keto.

Id say soups are still the best bet. A broccoli cheese soup with some hamburger. A bacon and cheese soup. Slow cooked chicken/beef in gravy with veggies cooked until very soft. A beanless chili made with ground meats and spices with melted cheese on top. DIY whipped cream with sweetener and some cocoa or lemon/strawberry/vanilla extract. Tastes great frozen too :)

And dont worry. Tightening isnt bad. They'll feel a little achy for a day then be ok again.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Google low car/Keto cereals and soups to add to all that. There are few good ones. Good luck with your braces, it's tough at the beginning but it will get better :)
  • mebeep
    Options
    LunaKate wrote: »
    I had braces, I know how bad it hurts. I had trouble sleeping the first few days. Tylenol can help the constant ache. You'll feel better and be able to eat better in about 2 weeks. I ate oatmeal for breakfast and soups or soft pasta for dinner/lunch but thats not so keto.

Id say soups are still the best bet. A broccoli cheese soup with some hamburger. A bacon and cheese soup. Slow cooked chicken/beef in gravy with veggies cooked until very soft. A beanless chili made with ground meats and spices with melted cheese on top. DIY whipped cream with sweetener and some cocoa or lemon/strawberry/vanilla extract. Tastes great frozen too :)

And dont worry. Tightening isnt bad. They'll feel a little achy for a day then be ok again.

:D
  • mebeep
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    Google low car/Keto cereals and soups to add to all that. There are few good ones. Good luck with your braces, it's tough at the beginning but it will get better :)

(*)
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Add as much heavy cream as needed to your green smoothie so that your fat percentage comes out to 65 - 70% & keto friendly.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    GiGiBeans wrote: »
    Add as much heavy cream as needed to your green smoothie so that your fat percentage comes out to 65 - 70% & keto friendly.

The % of fat wouldn't make the shake keto: the carb count would.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    GiGiBeans wrote: »

The % of fat wouldn't make the shake keto: the carb count would.

Exactly. There is no set percentage of fat for something to be "keto".