Low-carb baking dilemma

Options
I wonder if I am alone or if anyone feels the same way. Do you find yourself hesitating to make low carb baked goods? I have bought the almond flour, the flax meal, the coconut flour, swerve, etc., yet I have yet to bake anything. I believe that my reluctance comes from the idea of good food/bad food and knowing that baked goods is what got me to where I am. I don't know that I could eat even a low carb chocolate chip cookie or brownie without feeling guilty.

Has anyone found themselves in this mindset and if so how did you deal with it?

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have tons of low carb baking supplies (all the ones you mentioned and more.) And I bake....hardly ever. I don't think that's a bad thing! Lots of reasons why I don't bake more: not worth the calories, not worth the carbs, not worth the effort, not worth eating something sweet just to eat something sweet and then "having to" keep eating it for a few days until the recipe is gone. I did make a few things around the holidays, but I also gained weight over the holidays. So, when I am in weight loss mode I generally avoid the low carb baked goods. If I really want something I will look at the one minute muffin recipes, so that I'll have one serving and be done with it.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I dont bake at all. I dont seem to have any concept of portion control and if i did bake, it's eat it all. I made a low carb cheesecake a couple of years ago....the large amount of sweetener gave a horrid aftertaste. I stick to MIMs and pseudo puddings. :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I do bake, but only a couple times a month. We loved baked goods pre-LC and so we do bake cookies or muffins etc a couple times a month when we crave something. Almond flour is our go to and it is so filling it is rough to go too over board with the baked goods.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like the single portions made in a mug. I don't always do sweet. Sometimes I make savory with garlic or sage and cheese. I use all you mentioned above.
  • donnaamarie
    Options
    Thank you for making me feel like I am not alone. I have all these low carb recipes but I just don't feel like I want to bake any! I think maybe in the future when I am further along in my journey I'll figure out how to eat baked goods in moderation. But I also agree, like Mistizoom that it's not really worth the calories just to eat something sweet. I may do the one portion things that you guys mentioned for those times when something sweet is really necessary.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I bake savory more than sweet, and I hesitate mainly because I'm cheap. When I calculate how much the almond flour costs per portion, I better be really sure I'll like the end product. That's also why I never learned to make macarons, even though I wanted to. I hated the idea of how much it would cost to practice until I got them consistent with good feet.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I bought same goodies, almond flour, coconut flour you name it. It's been almost 2 month and I have still tons left. I did bake Keto chocolate roll cake once, it was ginormous but pretty good. I made my fam eat it and they did. Lasted 4 days lol
    I will do MIMs and stuff that's is easy and not time consuming. I found a recipe for flax bread and that's the only thing I want to make for now. Tomorrow I will make some bagel rolls with seeds, they look delicious so I wan to try it. :)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    I bought same goodies, almond flour, coconut flour you name it. It's been almost 2 month and I have still tons left. I did bake Keto chocolate roll cake once, it was ginormous but pretty good. I made my fam eat it and they did. Lasted 4 days lol
    I will do MIMs and stuff that's is easy and not time consuming. I found a recipe for flax bread and that's the only thing I want to make for now. Tomorrow I will make some bagel rolls with seeds, they look delicious so I wan to try it. :)

Care to share, please? I do have some golden flax I bought to try, but I haven't gotten around to looking up bread recipes specifically for it yet.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I use ground flax a lot. A TBL in the egg/cheese mix when I make breakfast for myself & my wife. A TBL into the Greek yogurt/blue berry/nut mix when she doesn't have time before her first meeting. A TBL on my lunch salad. It's 2 carbs (both fiber), 2 fat & 2 protein with a good Omega 6/ Omega 3 profile. I'd use it in baking but I don't bake much. Used it in MIM with almond flour & it worked fine,
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I almost never bake but had purchased ingredients 'just in case' the same as you. Firstly - put those ingredients in the freezer. I store all of my nut supply, including almond/coconut flour and linseed/flax meal in the freezer. It keeps it from going rancid and you can immediately use any of these items straight from the freezer.

Funnily enough, I have a Seed Loaf in the oven while I type this. I've not tried the recipe before but it's *huge*. Admittedly my loaf tin is tiny, but it's made three!!! I didn't know if it would rise or not though so they're not very high. Haven't tasted it yet so can't report back but it's called 'Banting Diet Seed Loaf' and I got the recipe from www.talkfeed.co.za which has podcasts with Prof Tim Noakes who is my LCHF hero.

Other than that, I've made bacon fat bombs once, which only involved melting cheese in the oven. In 56 days I don't think I've made anything else.
  • vanhavely
    vanhavely Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    dessiepenn wrote: »
    I like the single portions made in a mug.

This is what I do as well. Plenty of mug cake recipes out there, just have to try a few to see what you like.

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    For special occasions where I need something pretty in front of me, I do think I'll bake. But I'm finding I don't even *care* about food as more than fuel lately, so all the effort to bake seems silly when there are eggs and bacon in the fridge.

I will probably have the macadamia brownie bombs as my birthday treat. My husband's birthday, I might make a mug cake, or just pop a strawberry fat bomb.
  • Alliwan
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    itcphotog wrote: »

Care to share, please? I do have some golden flax I bought to try, but I haven't gotten around to looking up bread recipes specifically for it yet.

Basic MIM
    Serving Size: 1
    1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
    1 packet Splenda® packet (0.9 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
    1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon butter
    (total carbs is 12.07, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.27)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. Stir.
    Add the egg and the butter. Mix.
    Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Your MIM can be toasted once it's cooked and topped with cream cheese if you like.

This is the recipe we use, you can add or change spices to make it taste different but we use this as bread for fried egg and spam sandwiches.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    For guys who are trying to follow along, MIM = Muffins In a Minute. (Thank you google.)
  • donnaamarie
    Options
    Thank you GrannyMayOz, I had those flours sitting on my counter top, just waiting. They are in the freezer for when I get motivated. I find that I miss things like crackers more than bread, just for the crunch. I'll get around to it I suppose when I really can't do without it!! But thanks for all the tips from everyone, I have some thoughts floating around in my head for those "moments".
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    Basic MIM
    1 teaspoon butter

Your MIM can be toasted once it's cooked and topped with cream cheese if you like.

This is the recipe we use, you can add or change spices to make it taste different but we use this as bread for fried egg and spam sandwiches.

I use this recipe, deleting the sweetener/cinnamon, and add 1-2 Tbsp of sunflower seeds. I nuke it in a small, square pyrex casserole dish (about 4") and slice in half horizontally when done. I use it as a base for grilled tuna and cheese (open faced) and it is the bomb. Also makes a good base for hot turkey sandwiches, eggs benedict, or a philly cheesesteak kind of thing.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When I first started keto, I was very into baking. I hadn't figured out my usual foods and meals yet, and I wanted to try everything so that I knew what was good and what wasn't before I needed to make it for a family gathering. Now that I've been doing keto for 7 months, I don't bake often. I mostly make a LC cheesecake, and that's for when I need a sweet or for a special occasion. Every once in a while I'll try a new recipe, sweet or savory, just to try something new and because I like to bake. I've found that as the time goes on, while I still want something sweet , it's something more like peanut butter.

I do still make "regular" baked goods. I don't eat them. I bring them to work and feed them to students. But I like the act of making them and smelling them. I know I'm weird.
  • Alliwan
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    Alliwan wrote: »
    Basic MIM
    1 teaspoon butter

I use this recipe, deleting the sweetener/cinnamon, and add 1-2 Tbsp of sunflower seeds. I nuke it in a small, square pyrex casserole dish (about 4") and slice in half horizontally when done. I use it as a base for grilled tuna and cheese (open faced) and it is the bomb. Also makes a good base for hot turkey sandwiches, eggs benedict, or a philly cheesesteak kind of thing.

We actually do it in a square dish also for bread. Hubby makes ruben sandwiches, or tuna and cheese sandwiches and toast. He misses bread but has wheat issues so this is perfect for him. I dont miss bread much so my couple times a week of a fried egg and spam or bacon sandwich is fine for me.

There are variations in the mug for pumpkin or lemon or chocolate flavors too.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy recipe for Cheesy Almond Crackers that we love.

1 1/4 c almond meal
    1/8 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 c old cheddar, finely grated
    1 1/2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
    1 large egg
    spices optional, I use cayenne pepper

Whisk together egg and oil in small bowl. In larger bowl combine all dry ingredients, then add wet to dry, mixing well.
    With a rolling pin, roll out dough evenly between 2 pieces of parchment paper. I like mine quite thin. Remove top parchment, and score dough into squares with a pizza cutter. Slide parchment with cut dough onto a baking pan and bake at 350 F / 175 C for about 15 minutes. I do mine for 20 minutes to crisp them up a bit.
    Now for the hard part....let them cool on the baking pan for 30 minutes, then break apart crackers.

these are so good with cheese, or with dips, with guacamole, or on their own. Now I'm dreaming of a crab and cream cheese dip to go with them.......
  • mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    For guys who are trying to follow along, MIM = Muffins In a Minute. (Thank you google.)
    * finally, I was way to embarrassed to ask*