Sleep

Options
catchyb
catchyb Posts: 31 Member
Hi everyone, quick question.

Does anyone else find it really hard to sleep after a fast day?

I'm just getting the hang of fasting and go most of the day on decaf milky coffee and water, then have a big bowl of chunky meaty soup around 6 or 7 pm, bed with a book around 10. I usually get to sleep ok after about an hour, but am waking up around 1 and find it impossible to get back to sleep. I have a 9 month old who wakes frequently and on non fast days I usually go straight back to sleep.

It's time for me to get my 5 and 3 year olds up for school now, and I think I've only had 3 hours sleep. It's Wednesday so they finish at 11.30 and then the marathon begins, lunch, then speech therapy, then 2 gym classes, then dinner... I'm dreading it as I have no patience when I'm tired. I'm breastfeeding the baby so can't take sleeping pills or antihistamines.

Is this just a coincidence or is it the diet? I thought coincidence but it's happening regularly now on fast days and my husband wants me to stop. Has it happened to anyone else and what did you do? I don't want to stop :)

Replies

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of trouble falling asleep on fast days. But i sleep really well. However if I'm woken up by my son it takes me forever to fall back asleep.
    Yayyyyyy you for breastfeeding. How does your milk supply go on fast days? I don't know if fasting while breastfeeding is such a great idea. But I'm not your dr. Just keep an eye on your supply
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I had this in the beginning. It evened out after a while. No issues with fasting / sleeping anymore.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Hi catchyb :) Were you the one breastfeeding? Can't find that thread now. Back to your question: it's hormonal. When it happened to me last fall, I took a portion of bouillon, which is low in kcal, but gives salt and comfort. I bet it's hard to have a sleeping routine having a baby!

Normally I suggest for people to exercise, but I understand that can be hard for you. Maybe a 10 minute mediation or some other relaxing activity ? Try experiment with different techniques and sleep inviting methods? Having a regular routine is recommended though. I bet that there's a reason why mothers all over the world have baths, reading, singing etc on the menu for their babies to fall asleep, in effect programming sleep. Before I've listened to "nature sounds" or some guided meditation...it usually works :)
  • charmcity10
    charmcity10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I started having a casein powder shake right before bed on fast days (cals count towards 500) and that has helped a lot. Casein is a slow digesting protein so I do not wake up starving at 1 am
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I also agree with @karen_fitzgibbon‌ - check with your doctor about breastfeeding while fasting (or any kind of calorie reduction). Good for you to fast but not your baby. Your baby needs all the nutrition he/she can get.

I have heard some people in this group say that fasting intensifies the effect of caffeine. Could your milky coffee be contributing to the early morning wake up? Some decaf coffee can contain some caffeine.
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tend to save calories for a bedtime snack cos I have the awful habit of soothing myself to sleep with food, sometimes oatts but now having warm protein drink.
    I remember reading that the alertness andffocus you get while fasting would help us to find food in lean times so it is a sort of good thing.
  • catchyb
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I live in France and my Dr told me fasting is a terrible idea for anyone, he recommends moderation... I am the breastfeeder :). Sounds like quite a statement there! I'm on a breastfeeding multivitamin, drink a lot of liquid and eat like a savage on feast days, so I'm hoping that'll cover the baby's needs. She is feeding a lot at the moment, I put it down to teething and growth spurt, but maybe there is a problem with the supply. I'll start keeping track for a week to see if there's a pattern.
    I'll cut back on the coffee too. I do practice mindfulness when I can't sleep but it hasn't been helping recently. I'll try a midnight snack as well, hopefully it'll pass :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Fasting isn't recommended during pregnancy or breastfeeding by Michael Mosley either. If you notice your milk supply diminishing, please put 5:2 on hold until you have finished.

Just some food for thought: I know my cycle has been a bit messed up for the last year. It was normal during my first 9months on 5:2 and then it became erratic to non existent. If that was the fasting or the weight loss in general, I have no idea. For me a regular cycle isn't an important issue anymore, but the whole fasting / weightloss thing can mess up your hormonal cycle, thus it is not recommended during this time.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I had to stop drinking coffee on my fast days. It makes me feel terrible. maybe it's related!
  • jknight001
    Options
    Consider that breastfeeding is already a weight loss plan! :smile: ->
    thecaloriecounter.net/calories-burned-breastfeeding/
  • jknight001
    Options
    BTW, I think it is really great you can breastfeed. Really, really good for your baby.

IMHO, The best milk comes from a rested, nutritionally charged mom. Since the breastfeeding season is so short, take this time to make your milk the best quality it can be by getting good sleep and eating nutritionally packed meals every day, since your baby eats what you do every day. If you feel you still need to lose weight during this season, increase the amount of exercise you are getting. Exercise will also relax you and help you sleep deeply through the night.

Once your baby is weaned you can pick up 5:2 with vigor! And know you are always welcome to hang with us.
  • catchyb
    Options
    I'm struggling with today's fast and now I have the perfect excuse to give in :)
    The thing is, I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for the larger part of 6 years now and I haven't had the time, energy or willpower to do anything about the 8kgs I put on. I've been managing this though, and seeing a result and it's really cheered me up - I was beginning to think the old me might still be in there somewhere.
  • mowbry
    mowbry Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I demand breast fed until my boys were 6 months old and then started to to substitute some feeds with solids; as they were clearly requiring more food than I could deliver. I see your son is 9 months old, therefore, I assume you're are giving him solid foods now. I would agree with your doctor regarding fasting if your baby was very young as do some faiths who state in their religious books during Ramadan. If your baby is still content on your fast days, which all mothers know then your fasting is not harming your baby. I think the culprit is the coffee in the caffeine for sleepless nights, which I have a problem with. I have also limited the amount of milk I consume, as it contains a growth hormone for the calf to put on weight, hence why it also works on us humans. I have a small amount in my tea and the rest is coconut or almond milk. Your big bowl of meaty soup sounds like a good idea to aid you sleep.
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think, whatever we eat or drink on a fast day has a hightened effect, our digestive system is empty and clear of stimulation and we are/or become possibly more sensitive to what we consume, ie; what is going to be your response to a chocolate bar after 16-24hrs fasting? I know that for the first time in my life I have become aware of my reactions or sensation to different foods or drinks, this is a good thing, I am no longer numb, BUT the effects of hightened stimulation must be considered! :)