72 hours until surgery! Question on water please

Options
1ZenGirl
1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
In less than 72 hours I will have my surgery done! I've been working at this for a year. I know many people don't get this chance and I've very appreciative.

Question:
1. I know the stomach is swollen after surgery but is the difficulty in getting water in related to fullness, pain or both? Or something different?

I am looking for friends that have had this surgery or are upcoming so please feel free to add!

Replies

• readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'd say both. I really struggled to get water in at first but you just have to keep at it. Good luck!
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much!
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My surgeon told me it's mainly swelling of the stomach from the surgery - only really able to take in 1.5 to 2 ozs. at a time. My nurse at the hospital put it into prospective for my first couple weeks - one ounce of water every waking hour is about all I was expected to be able to take in. I'm now 4 1/2 months post op, so getting 64 ounces is much easier.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had my Sleeve on Feb 16th. Which procedure are you having? I found and still find some difficulties in drinking all my water due to feeling full. I never had any real issues with pain, praise God! I have pretty much felt good from the time I woke up after surgery. Not to say that there wasn't some pain from the incisions and I was definitely tender for a few weeks but that was about it. The only time I feel uncomfortable drinking is if I take to large of a drink or swallow to fast. Sipping is definitely the key! I have found warm herbal tea and warm lemon water feel easier to drink that cold water. Everybody has a little different experience. I wish you all the best!
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi! I too had surgery 2/16. Water for me is absolutely no problem. At first like others said you sip, sip and sip some more. I think I sipped slowly more because I didn't know my body yet (caution isn't a bad thing post op). Now, if I'm sitting up straight/ standing/walking can get a 16 oz glass of clear liquids down easily in an hour. I have zero restriction with thin liquids... Not a bad thing but something I need to be aware of and be conscious not to drink liquids with any calories. Thicker liquids (shakes) are harder, anything with bubbles (shakes mixed in the blender for example) are the toughest. I too had zero pain post op and only took 2 of the dilaudid once released at bedtime. However, I got a twinge of pain/discomfort when I drank cold stuff at first, now I'm fine. I agree with the warm liquid comment too.

As long as you remember this is a gift and that you chose this for the bigger picture you will be fine. I had to remind myself the first few weeks of this when I was having a fat kid tantrum. Don't be scared tho, i don't regret it and would do it again in a heart beat!!!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am 62 years old and had VSG Jun'2013 but still clearly remember how hard it was to get water (or anything else) down at first because the inflammation from the surgery squeezed the stomach even smaller.

As the inflammation diminishes over the first few days, it gets easier to drink. But it's still really important that you sip as often as possible to be able to get all the water and nutrition you need.

I never had pain and so wasn't taking the pain medicine. Then the nurse told me to take it anyway because it would help me be able to drink (and she was right).

If you have an app (or even an alarm clock or egg timer) set it for every 15 minutes to remind you to drink your ounce of liquid (broth, protein shake, water... it all counts as liquid). It's important to drink a little often - because you won't be able to drink a lot to catch up. If you can, stay away from coffee to leave room for the nutritious liquid proteins and water you will need.

The first day was the only time that scared me.* I was afraid something had gone wrong, because it was so hard to get anything in. But it got better day by day. One of my great milestones was when a few months had passed and I could finally gulp again.

*Get the number of someone (a nurse, someone from your support group, a friend who's done this, etc.) who you can call the first day or so who can reassure you.

You have a great attitude. Best wishes.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    im almost 3 weeks out from surgery (3/4/15). i had a lot of spasms and nasuea so everytime i would try to take in water at room temp even, my stomach would spasm..we decided that warmer fluids like warm tea, and broth werent quite as hard on me..just like everyone else said, sip very very slowly, if you're having trouble try warmer fluids and make sure if you're having nasuea or spasms that you're keeping up with your medicine for it..makes it much more tolerable..Good luck :)
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It was hard to get liquids in for me because of nausea after surgery. I ended up staying another day to make sure I could stay hydrated enough. Sip, sip, sip --- all day. Ice chips helped a lot for me and the sf popsicles. Good luck and best wishes.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with getting enough water for the first 4 weeks just felt full and could only do a table spoon at a time. But that didn't last now I'm 8 months out and getting the water no problem the protein no problem, it's time for vegetables.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    I've heard that some people react better to warm fluids and others like cold - find out what works for you.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It was a little uncomfortable to put anything in my tummy for the first week, but not so much that I couldn't manage it. I never took the narcotic pain meds prescribed. I DID find for the first couple of days it helped to keep water at the bedside and drink during the night to maintain hydration.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had some trouble with water at first because I just don't like it. For me, drinking it cold and with some crystal light added in was the way to go. I also didn't take naps during the day because that took away from sipping time.