T4/T3 combo?

Options
I was born without a thyroid and was on Synthroid for 32 years. It worked fine for me until I got pregnant, which is when everything went to hell really, really fast. The last nine years of my life have been HELL. I gained 80 pounds and no matter what I do I can't drop the weight. I finally found a doctor to switch me to WP Thyroid this past December. I feel SO much better, even though my numbers are getting worse, and I still can't loose any weight.

Has anyone been on a T4/T3 combo and had results? Is it comparable to NDT?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    From what I've read, the natural thyroid contains the 4 thyroid hormones in the same ratio as we should have naturally, if we have the proper working compliment. Medics don't seem to have discovered the uses our bodies have for T1 and 2( which seems to be made in the ovaries) this is probably why synthetic medications only address the T4 most often and 3 deficit for fewer. I expect the synthetic combo would have the t4 and 3 in balance. I have read that many people on here really like the NDT, probably because it is closer to what we actually need.

I have no experience of anything other than t4.

I'm pleased for you that you are feeling "SO much" better, I hope your numbers improve soon.
  • tarahkendall
    tarahkendall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • tamaradwyer
    tamaradwyer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wild shot here, have you looked at calcium levels? Your body built a baby's bones, which is incredible. Pregnancy can pull significant calcium from your body which you have to balance back out.

Thyroid hormones and the calcium available to rebuild your bones are closely linked, I don't know enough to explain it. Reading about T1, T2, calcitonin and parathyroid hormone will show the linkage though.

I have never been pregnant, have no expertise other than keeping my eyes and ears open, and I do significantly better with a calcium - magnesium - zinc supplement every day.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I take Synthroid (T4) + Cytomel (T3). The human body should convert T4 to T3, but my T3 was really low. Even so, it took me a year & a half to persuade my endocrinogist to prescribe Cytomel. The fatigue, brain fog & aches are much better now.

It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • abenardini
    abenardini Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was also born without a thyroid and I convinced my Dr. to switch me to Levothyroxine (Generic Synthroid) and Cytomel, about 9 years ago (I'm 35 now). That was shortly after I had my second baby where I also gained A LOT of weight. While it took a bit to find the right dosage, it has changed my life! I managed to lose 80 pounds, the foggy headedness is mostly gone and I don't have what I call my "thyroid face" which was always a little puffy and swollen around the jawline. I am having issues with my numbers now. My TSH is low, my t4 is high and my t3 is on the low end of normal. So I am guessing I am having a hard time with the t4 to t3 conversion. I am really considering switching to NDT but whenever switching medicines when you don't have a thyroid, can be very frustrating. Shortly before I added Cytomel, I tried Thyrolar which is a combo of T4 and T3. My dr. didn't convert my dosage correctly and luckily I read everything about thyroid replacement and caught it before it was an issue but even after catching the mistake it took a while to find the right dosage.

If your numbers are getting worse, you may need to change dosage or try a different medication. I agree that it is a trial & error!