Has anyone done a Sugar Detox?

rhende24
rhende24 Posts: 2 Member
I just started day 1...95% greens and a few supplements...feeling headache from the caffeine withdrawal..but everything I have read says it is a great start to detox!

Replies

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Detox isn't necessary and can make you feel awful while you're doing it. Don't bother. Ditch the supplements too. That's all marketing gimmickery.

Your liver and kidneys cleanse your system 24/7. That's what you have them for. So eat, eat healthy, and enjoy your meals. So-called detoxed aren't doing anything your body was already doing for itself.

And for heaven's sake, have some coffee! It isn't hurting you and eliminating it won't make you lose any more weight.
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    My cousin did the 21 day fix and loved it. I'm not a big detox fan though. I have cut way back on sugar. Basically use local honey as a natural sweetener and organic sugar (1 tsp in my coffee only).

Really focused on selecting whole foods, locally grown and organic when possible and budget allows. Limited processed foods.

20 pounds down (1/2 way to my goal) and feeling great about our lifestyle changes!

• henrydenise2000
    henrydenise2000 Posts: 6 Member
    Great job Rhende24! To curb your headache try some green tea which is also a cleanser, or some black tea just to get you thru, and leave out the sugar. I have not done a sugar detox yet, but I'm heading in that direction. As part of a life-style change, I've cut out sugar (except raw in VERY limited quantity), processed foods (with minimal exceptions...I've had some bad days recently...) upped my veggies, fruit and whole grains. I have heard really good things about stevia, but I have not tried it yet, but I do use a lot of honey as sweetener (I even drink honey with organic cider vinegar with warm water to keep the inflammation out of my joints for medical reasons). If you have a specific plan in mind, post it, and I'll do it with you. I would be a day behind you, but I would definitely get on board. Please share your progress as I am very interested!
  • blucas2013
    blucas2013 Posts: 18 Member
    I'm slowly trying to minimize/eliminate sugar. Wow. It is everywhere. For the same of my sanity I am not aiming for 100 percent but am shooting for 90 percent elimination.
  • grace4u2receive
    grace4u2receive Posts: 333 Member
    Detoxing with food, is one of the best things I could have done on my weight loss journey! :D You do not starve yourself. Detoxing is necessary to reboot your body and help your metabolism!

"The liver is your body's filter, charged with neutralizing all sorts of substances from the waste products of everyday metabolism to the ever-increasing load of toxins in our air, water, food, cosmetics, and workplace. One of the most serious results of an overstressed or toxic liver is that it becomes so bogged down, it can't fully metabolize fat. As a result, it dumps fat and cholesterol back into the bloodstream, sabotaging your weight loss and putting you at risk for numerous health problems, including indigestion, fatigue, high cholesterol, depression, mood swings, lupus, arthritis, and other autoimmune conditions. A toxic liver also creates disastrous results for your skin, leaving you with a tendency to blotchy patches and rashes.

Meanwhile, your colon - designed to eliminate both natural bodily wastes and toxins is likewise laboring under a double strain. An overworked colon means that toxins and bile (a crucial substance produced by the liver) can sit in your gut too long. Eventually, your body reabsorbs the toxins and sends them back to the liver once again. What's the point of struggling to manage our food intake if our organs are giving way under the strain of processing a toxic overload?" quote by Ann Louise Gittleman

Read a good detox book (Dr. Mark Hyman, Ann Louise Gittleman- a nutritionist).

Don't take detox supplements! Just change your food to the suggestions written by one of the above authors. I lost 6.4 pounds in 11 days on one of my detoxes and feel tons better, just by incorporating certain foods and eliminating sugar and a few more things. The headache is one of the symptoms you will experience as your body eliminates the toxins built up in your body.

Get educated and here's a group to get some information and encouragement as we walk through a detox starting on April 1st!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103019-revitalized-bodies

35813963.png
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    edited March 2015
    I was sugar free for 9 months last year. I gave up coffee completely, it has been a year and a half. I sleep better now that don't drink coffee. I have sugar on occasion and feel better without it.
  • the_raptor
    the_raptor Posts: 24 Member
    Give up sugar? Screw that! I have cut back based on WHO reccomendations,tho I still fail some days, but I could NEVER detox off it completely! I enjoy my choc milk and occasional chocolate (dark when possible) far too much.

Apparently chocolate will be less of a problem in the future, as the cacao plants (where choc comes from) are rapidly getting wiped out, meaning chocolate will be a rare treasure in the near future! :o:(
  • kalin73
    kalin73 Posts: 595 Member
    rhende24 wrote: »
    I just started day 1...95% greens and a few supplements...feeling headache from the caffeine withdrawal..but everything I have read says it is a great start to detox!

I detox every once in a while. I do believe in a good cleanse and I consult a nutritionist or my doctor before. I don't do anything drastic and I do it moderation. I feel like my body feels lighter and more energetic after a good detox. It shows in my skin and hair. Whatever you put in your body, shows on the outside.

A sugar detox sounds good. Make sure you consume all nutrient rich foods and keep those energy levels up. Try including natural sugars from berries and other fruit. Berries are great for you.
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    nine days no sugar, refined carbs.. pasta bread etc, dairy.. feels awesome.. 14 day reboot cleanse.. Id like to stay eighty five percent like this in the future min. funny how sweet things smell