What's the “low carb flu”?

Options
aishlynn
aishlynn Posts: 181 Member
I've heard of the “low carb flu” and was wondering what it was. Is it something that happens to everyone in the beginning of LCHF and why? I just started the LCHF way of eating and am a little concerned about this.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Can happen due to inadequate hydration, salt, potassium, and magnesium, but isn't a foregone conclusion.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've only ever heard of keto flu.
    I know that that supposedly comes from the 10-30ish days it takes your body to adjust to using fat as energy rather than carbs. Your body is essentially used to one fuel source and has a time period in which it gets used to the new fuel source.

Common symptoms are usually just grogginess, some sluggishness etc. Basically just really tired for a week or two, and then there's supposed to be a huge spike in energy.

You can also "relapse" into keto flu if you eat too many carbs after you're keto adjusted.

I say 'supposedly' cause I haven't switched to keto yet, but I will be soon (during spring break too
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Can happen due to inadequate hydration, salt, potassium, and magnesium, but isn't a foregone conclusion.

Not every one gets it. Or if they do get it, the duration varies. It depends on how low your carb count is. If it's low enough to get you into ketosis, than it is possible to get it while the body is transitioning into burning fat for fuel instead of sugar.

I had a little bit of a headache. I can't be sure it wasn't sugar withdrawal. I was a 1/4 cup of sugar in each cup of coffee kind of girl. A eat-a-bag-of Hershey-Miniatures-in-2-days kind of gal. I did my research and made sure I was hydrated and was drinking salty broth. So other than that I didn't get keto-flu. After the 3rd day, I actually felt fog-free for the first time in forever.

Some people have a harder time of it.

This link gives a quick overview of what to expect:
    http://elowcarbfoodlist.org/the-keto-flu-symptoms-and-relief/
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My personal anecdote is that I had been trying (though not quite succeeding) to eat a reduced-carb diet anyway, as a matter of habit.

I did have a couple of sluggish, headache-y days. Whenever I'd feel that way, I'd have a cup of broth and increase my water intake. I got off pretty easy, from some of the cases I've read. My husband tends to get it pretty rough, and he normally drinks over 120oz of water a day, easily. But he has medication that reduces his sodium anyway, and with that much water I don't think he was replacing it fast enough (or the magnesium and potassium).
  • aishlynn
    aishlynn Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your input and education! I feel better now that I know my fatigue after a week of being LC is normal for some people. I'm very well hydrated, but I'll try the salty broth, as well.
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with this now, feeling very lethargic and all my muscles ache, back is hurting and headache. I'll be glad when it's done lol!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with this now, feeling very lethargic and all my muscles ache, back is hurting and headache. I'll be glad when it's done lol!

You don't have to go through it at all, drink some broth, use some MIO in water, have some avocado and mushrooms. Make sure you're getting plenty of water, too. It's not like it's something your body is forcing itself to do. I've never had it, and I've been popping back and forth from LC to keto for years.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It took me longer to get over but I am an old fart... Everything takes longer... I was groggy for a week and weak for a week. Over both now though.
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

You don't have to go through it at all, drink some broth, use some MIO in water, have some avocado and mushrooms. Make sure you're getting plenty of water, too. It's not like it's something your body is forcing itself to do. I've never had it, and I've been popping back and forth from LC to keto for years.
    I feel like I'm drinking plenty of water and eating 1 1/2 avocados a day, I'll try the broth, and love mushrooms, but don't have any right now. Thanks for the advice!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Huh. Mushrooms, you say? My first two weeks I was adding mushrooms to everything. Suddenly they didn't taste appealing at all around the same time I figured I was through the flu danger. Wonder if I'd had a craving I didn't even realize.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I fat loaded and sodium loaded (broth twice a day), but I was a major carb junkie before. (I could give @nicsflyingcircus‌ a serious run for her money....probably a bag of minis in a day if not a sitting! I also ate an entire 17 oz box of chocolates by myself in the three days immediately prior into jumping into LCHF, and even then, adding fats, adding sodium, and ignoring calories until the flu passed minimized my impact!)
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    completely avoidable. I have a vegetable stock (vegeta) with a tblspn of butter in it each day, no headache or lethargy.
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The first few days of lchf was fine for me until the 'flu' kicked in. But I heard of it and so wasn't surprised by it. as mentioned above broth was a a great way to deal with it as well as letting my body rest as it needed. Three weeks later I have my mojo back and feel so good I am not even as concerned with weight loss so much, although I'll take it. :)
  • bluesdivaca
    bluesdivaca Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My first three days are always full of energy for some reason. Somewhere around the third/fourth day I get a horrible headache and feel generally awful due to the headache and malaise. In fact - this morning I was IN that during my 75 minute job interview. Painful. I had not read ahead about trying broth, but glad to know that now.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've been Keto for probably a total of at least 3-3.5 years over the past decade...the first time was for >2 years solid and I dropped 60#s. I've played with refeeds over the years or used Keto during times when I was recovering from a broken wrist or abdominal surgery and couldn't exercise. Now I'm adapting a sort of CKD plan around my running/cycling races. I've never once experienced symptoms that I found to be uncomfortable. A few times I've had veggies that tasted bitter, but that could be as much the veggie itself being overripe (recently had a yellow squash that was awful, but it's getting to be the time of year where that's not in-season anywhere and they're probably picked at a bad time, then sit on a truck for days to get to Michigan).

Maybe this is why I've not struggled with doing a cyclical keto diet -- I usually feel so mediocre and bloated after a day or two of even moderate carb intake that I can't wait to get back to fat and protein. If the quality of the carbs I eat is processed crap, then I really feel gross and want a steak, cheese, and salad like no one's business!! The thought of falling off the keto wagon permanently doesn't sound at all pleasant to me and I feel better within 12 hours of cutting the carbs.
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My first three days are always full of energy for some reason. Somewhere around the third/fourth day I get a horrible headache and feel generally awful due to the headache and malaise. In fact - this morning I was IN that during my 75 minute job interview. Painful. I had not read ahead about trying broth, but glad to know that now.

I hope you got the job anyway despite how you felt. :)