Question for Fitbit Users

Options

Replies

• JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'll second retirehappy in saying that weight loss is more difficult when you can't exercise, but I think that practicing maintaining your weight is just as important as losing it.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support. OK I made the decision only to find the fitbit I want is on back order. Oh well at least I managed to hit that buy button finally. Today would have been a day I would have loved to see how many steps I took.
  • RLF022012
    RLF022012 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bvifun, It's great that you're going to give it a try. It's too bad that some of the Fitbits continue to be on back order; I think that discourages some people who want to give it a try. But, I do think you'll be happy once you get started.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    ker95texas wrote: »
    ........ and I just learned today that you can link Fitbit to your AARP account (i've been a member for a long time but just registered online today) and earn 'good points' for reaching 10,000 steps a day and some mile goals. 'Good points' are redeemable like cash for some items that actually make sense :)

Been trying to get the walgreens one set up without success. . Seems to only support certain fitbits. Any advice appreciated. Will also try the AARP.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    @Sharon - I was able to set up my fitbit at the Walgreen's site in their balance rewards section. I had to set up an online account first, and choose 'show all devices' for my style fitbit to show up.

An interesting thread: [url="http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084218/fitbit-accuracy"[/url]

Pretty encouraging for the accuracy, and a bit DIScouraging as well. I have to put in 10,000 steps just to 'earn' eating 1000 calories a day and stay 1000 calories under :scream: And that's only going to get worse....
  • sharondtd
    Options
    @Sharon - I was able to set up my fitbit at the Walgreen's site in their balance rewards section. I had to set up an online account first, and choose 'show all devices' for my style fitbit to show up.

An interesting thread: [url="http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084218/fitbit-accuracy"[/url]

Pretty encouraging for the accuracy, and a bit DIScouraging as well. I have to put in 10,000 steps just to 'earn' eating 1000 calories a day and stay 1000 calories under :scream: And that's only going to get worse....

Leaving your whole post in, as I loved the emoticon. I enrolled in the site, but my Charge HR is not supported. Called and talked to them, and they said Fitbit App is supposed to work, but last I checked, no joy. Not a huge issue, but they are the preferred pharmacy. Will check back later on to see if the issue is resolved. I don't care to manually enter my steps.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    sharondtd wrote: »

Leaving your whole post in, as I loved the emoticon. I enrolled in the site, but my Charge HR is not supported. Called and talked to them, and they said Fitbit App is supposed to work, but last I checked, no joy. Not a huge issue, but they are the preferred pharmacy. Will check back later on to see if the issue is resolved. I don't care to manually enter my steps.

• retirehappy
    Options
    I have my Charge linked to Walgreen and AARP. I selected Flex and everything is working fine. Try registering device as a Flex. If it doesn't work delete your cache and cookies to try it again.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Thank you @retirehappy. Will try that
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Great info on fitbit and MFP interaction and what you should be doing to be as accurate as possible:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy
  • sharondtd
    Options
    I have my Charge linked to Walgreen and AARP. I selected Flex and everything is working fine. Try registering device as a Flex. If it doesn't work delete your cache and cookies to try it again.
    I got that done with Walgreen's today and it's working! Will try AARP later. Thank you again.

• retirehappy
    Options
    Sharon, you're most welcome. Just a bit more motivation. We can take all of that we can get.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

For reference and the bump up. If you use MFP with a Fitbit you'll want to read that FAQ.
  • ker95texas
    Options
    I'm so confused LOL. My husband decided he'd like to use my old fitbit zip to see just how many steps he took in a typical work day, so we moved it off my desk and he managed to get it 'registered' to his new account. The same day he did that, the calorie burn for my FitBit One changed... a LOT. I don't know if it's related. My steps on the fitbit and the dashboard have agreed, and my profile is correct. To summarize:
    • Wednesday & Thursday, I logged a bit over 22,000 steps each day, and a bit over 50 active minutes. FitBit calorie burn was just over 2400.
    • Yesterday (because of shopping and going out for the night), I only logged 16,600 steps and 19 active minutes. And FitBit gave me over 2500 calories. A recent comparable day in steps/minutes resulted in 2200 calories. There was no more than one pound weight difference between the results.
    I don't get it..... sorry.gif

Anyone have any insight they could share or has Fitbit changed their calculation algorithm?
  • retirehappy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Marilyn, I think fitbit.com is a better place to ask that kind of question.

But you could do some basic troubleshooting:
    1. Check is the stride length on the new FB1 the same as the old Zip had you using.
    2. How about the activity level of the FB1, same terrains, more or less stairs?
    3. If you have it synched up you might want to consider the timing of those steps as well, if you are reading them from MFP or FB site. Lots of lagging going on these days with all the new users from MFP getting Fitbits over the holidays.

The FAQ link I posted might shed some light on it as well. AFAIK, no new algorithms are being used.

One of the reasons I went with the version with the heart rate monitor is I can check against my heart rate monitor to see if the burns are anywhere near the same, for me they are, so I am just committed to using the Fitbit data to guide me in my Journey.

And congrats on those awesome step totals, I am already having to get creative to get in my 12K steps daily this month, 22K just really sounds amazing to me at this point.
  • ker95texas
    Options
    must have been a one day thing... FitBit is back to its usually stingy self today :disappointed:
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Love the tip about fitbit and AARP! I will have to try to connect.

Ker, that is funny. Maybe it just had a day of shock and now it has adjusted lol
  • ker95texas
    Options
    bumping for Reba smiley-with-glasses02.gif
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, Ker
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    OK, please give me some good places to buy a Fit Bit. I really am interested in getting one, however I do not want to pay too awful much for it. Those folks that I see using them, seem to have good success because it " spurs them on " Thanks