Ideal breakfast to assist with weight loss

Options
kalin73
kalin73 Posts: 595 Member
HI

Check out my blog for tasty and nutrient rich ingredients for a good breakfast smoothie as well as a yummy metabolism boosting smoothie recipe
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kalin73

Replies

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't really by the "metabolism boosting" claims made by any marketers. I have never seen any scientific evidence that those claims hold any water. The foods might be healthy, but do they speed your metabolism so you lose faster? I'd bet the farm that they don't.

I like a yogurt and fruit smoothie a couple times a week, but not with vegetables or greens. I used to choke down smoothies and "Perfect Food" supplement drinks in the morning, but I just can't get past the look of them. I get so many vegetables in solid form, I can do without them liquified.
  • Tricia8008
    Tricia8008 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal!
  • xvtc
    xvtc Posts: 1
    Options
    Oatmeal is the best.
  • kalin73
    Options
    I don't really by the "metabolism boosting" claims made by any marketers. I have never seen any scientific evidence that those claims hold any water. The foods might be healthy, but do they speed your metabolism so you lose faster? I'd bet the farm that they don't.

I like a yogurt and fruit smoothie a couple times a week, but not with vegetables or greens. I used to choke down smoothies and "Perfect Food" supplement drinks in the morning, but I just can't get past the look of them. I get so many vegetables in solid form, I can do without them liquified.

I've been into fitness and health for years now. They go hand in hand. It's easy to just eat close to nothing and lose weight. But the better way is do to it healthily. It'll show in your skin, hair, etc. Healthy bodies are also have good energy levels that can be used during the course if the day. You don't feel lethargic and wasted or hungry. The combination of good ingredients, if a smoothie is of your preference, will keep your energy levels up as well as keep you feeling full. It works differently for everyone. People who have already lost the bulk of weight they wanted to lose may find it easier to have a smoothie because their bodies don't crave big meals. The post was really just a bunch of ideas that people who prefer smoothies can have. I've been doing it for years and a good choice in ingredients keeps your skin glowing, and your body looking healthy and still being energetic. Being energetic keeps the metabolic rate up. If a smoothie doesn't do it for you, try protein shakes or even better, try whey.
  • olav1994
    olav1994 Posts: 1
    Options
    Luke warm water with Lemon on a empty stomach,
    15minuts later oatmeal with green tea
    before you leave the house a shake for on the road and eat +- every 2 houres to keep you stomach working works good for me at least.
  • 1briannamom
    1briannamom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Best cold breakfast cereal I've found is Quaker Muffets (available in Canada, not sure about the States).

160 calories per serving, 1g of fat, 5g protein and 5g fibre. No sugar or sodium.

Ingredients: whole wheat. Period.
  • juhishringi
    juhishringi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Green tea is good.....as wel as..
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with flax seeds and chia seeds or eggs
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    IMO, nothing beats eggs.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Well, except for egg beaters. ;)
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Eggs are as essential to my breakfast as coffee is.

Woe betide anyone who uses the last of the eggs and doesn't tell me!
  • kalin73
    Options
    I like a good protein shake or a smoothie.
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like no breakfast.

I fast every day from 7pm to 11am. Never lethargic or loss of energy. But I only drink water and tea. Occasional coffee and I am very strict with my diet. I like to train fasted as well. Works for me
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    All great things. How does it boost metabolism?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    MiRatlhed wrote: »
    I like no breakfast.

I fast every day from 7pm to 11am. Never lethargic or loss of energy. But I only drink water and tea. Occasional coffee and I am very strict with my diet. I like to train fasted as well. Works for me

I ate breakfast for more then 50 years, because I was told to " eat like a king " at that time. So for 50 plus years I forced some food down. During menopause ( until which point I was normal weight ) and through the loss of my thyroid due to cancer, which caused a lot of self pity eating I gained a lot of weight and did not lose, no matter what I tried.
    Coming here to MFP exactly two years ago I learned that meal time is a personal preference and not a nutritional necessity. I quit eating breakfast and because I am a volume eater ( I like my plate to be full ) I changed to the 18:6 ( give or take an hour ) and now feel so much better. I eat anywhere from 2 pm to 8-9 pm.
    Since because of childhood RA ( which forces me to take cortisone daily ) plus active systemic Lupus losing weight is a slow business I also do 5:2 twice a week. But I can't complain. While before I lost nothing, I now have during the last two years lost 55 pounds.
    I think anyone should eat the way they feel comfortable, but there is no science proving that breakfast is a " must " to lose or be healthy. I have lost weight and now am healthier that I was when I did eat breakfast. I am not saying that not eating breakfast made me healthier, I am just trying to say that it's a personal thing and does not really matter.

• Aldo4701
    Aldo4701 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Protein is good. Shown to support muscle development, satisfying, and uses up more calories to digest. Overnight oats are great or protein smoothie with peanut butter are my favourites. Best
  • orchid4mom
    orchid4mom Posts: 17 Member
    Options

steel oats cooked with 1 Tbsp raisins:)
  • S1508
    S1508 Posts: 14
    Options
    I think porridge is one of the best breakfast choices. You only need oatmeal, honey, milk and cinnamon.
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No one says breakfast has to be breakfast either, meaning the egg, or oatmeal, yogurt etc. If I'm craving a diner type meal in the morning, I'll do that, and then lighten up the rest of the day. As long as what I'm eating is clean, and also limited, meaning not a large portion, I'm good. Started clean living in January, and I'm now down 20 pounds and feel great.
  • Jason1068
    Jason1068 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MiRatlhed wrote: »
    I like no breakfast.

This works for me, I like no breakfast. I have tried to eat breakfast it does not work for me.