starting over.

Options
fancyroberts
fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
Why is it when things are going well, I hop off the boat and now the scales tell me 10 of the 17 lbs that I had buried in my past have come back to haunt me? Well that's it, enough is enough. Today is the day I say enough is enough. Tough luck for carbs, I can do without! God help me!

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Welcome back....
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    I'm in the same boat lol. Lost 42 lbs last year and gained almost 20 back! No worries, just get back up, brush yourself off & get back on that horse! I took 5 lbs off the first 2 weeks, so far so good.
  • fancyroberts
    Options
    Good for you!! I hope I can have that in the next 2 weeks...its just to break the sugar and carb craving all over again!! Damn it all!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have done this in the past too - self-sabotage. As soon as someone notices, I break the diet/woe. hopefully you can move past it. is there any way of thinking about what the greater weight protects you from?
  • fancyroberts
    Options
    I am not sure. I have been stressed lately...guess eating makes me feel like I am comforting that stress? I am not sure but that is something to think about..!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. It takes strength to get back in the game. You can do this!

Try to identify your stressers. Notice it. Own it. And then get busy either fixing the situation or, if it's beyond your control, get busy distracting yourself. If you feel the urge to comfort eat, identify those feelings for what they are and do something you enjoy instead. Check email, web surf, read, go out with a friend or call/text one, go workout, go shopping, watch an episode of your fave show. Anything you enjoy besides eating. The more you resist, the stronger your resistance will become.

I read this blog post from Dr Peter Attia that was inspiring to me. You need to develop grit. But even more than that: dogged determination. He was talking a lot about training in it, but it applies to life much more than one would think at first glance.
    http://eatingacademy.com/weight-loss/got-grit
    If you remember nothing else, remember this: the game is won – or lost – not by the infrequent big changes, but by the frequent, deliberate, and repeatable small ones. This is where grit comes in.
    I can’t beat myself up over it. I have to let it go and remember that tomorrow is a new day. The sum of my days determines my success. (The bolding was his own. He was talking about workouts here but it applies to other stumbles in our life quite well.)

This is a principle I use myself, and it's one I use in educating my children.
    Just some thoughts.

Hope the stress calms down for you soon, but in the meantime, see if you can figure out ways to deflect its impact on your eating habits. I know it isn't easy, but it IS worth it. :smile:
  • fancyroberts
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!
  • leahawilson
    leahawilson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new to this low carb way of eating. I have not eaten pizza, rice, potatoes, pasta, cereal etc. What I am curious about is fruit. I would like to start making green drinks or even eat an apple or banana or any fruit lol!! I recently found out that I have a slow thyroid. I was working out and eating 1200 calories a day and not losing anything. Finally my Dr. ordered blood work because I started gaining about 5lbs. a week and knew I wasn't over eating. He advised NO carbs. I have lost 6lbs. since 2/22. I drink a fiber drink(Meta) but still am not reaching my 25 grams of fiber AGH!!! Help!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @leahawilson

For fruits, stick with berries and stone fruits (peaches, etc.). Pair them with a fat (whipped cream, sour cream, cream cheese, etc.) to tell your body how to use them. Small amounts of these in a smoothie or as a dessert, if your carb allowance is high enough might be okay. My carbs are not...and I don't miss them at all. You need to get good and into the plan before the craving stops, and then it is mostly mental.

And if you have enough fats, fiber is not needed. Fiber is needed to move carbs along. There are whole threads here dedicated to this point. Some still need the boost, but unless you have outlying issues, you should be fine by just making sure you get sufficient fats.

**I should add you also need sufficient water. Most plans recommend 100 oz minimum when eating this way, but if you take your weight and divide it in half, and drink that many ounces, you should do well. I'm about 240 now, so that is 120 ounces of water a day.**

You have an awesome doctor to advocate the no carbs. Check out @FitGoat's story, and you'll see that a relatively no-carb existence is indeed possible.

I'm hypothyroid, and adapted well to this way of eating.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Most fruit is high carb. I eat berries instead.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And if you have enough fats, fiber is not needed. Fiber is needed to move carbs along. There are whole threads here dedicated to this point. Some still need the boost, but unless you have outlying issues, you should be fine by just making sure you get sufficient fats.

This. I eat less than 10g fiber a day, sometimes less than 5. Not constipated. Don't worry about the fiber.
    wabmester wrote: »
    Most fruit is high carb. I eat berries instead.

Right. Bananas and apples are pretty high in carbs. Berries can be better, but depending on your carb threshold they may still make it difficult to stay under. You can put berries in smoothies, but I don't recommend going nuts on them.
  • leahawilson
    leahawilson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This is all new. Does anyone have a green shake recipe? I am so glad I found this Dr as mine retired. How come the weight isn't falling off? Lost 5lbs in a month.
  • jharwell58
    jharwell58 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Why is it when things are going well, I hop off the boat and now the scales tell me 10 of the 17 lbs that I had buried in my past have come back to haunt me? Well that's it, enough is enough. Today is the day I say enough is enough. Tough luck for carbs, I can do without! God help me!

Thank you for your post...I have been really struggling lately and needed to see that someone else is dealing with the same type of issues. It inspires me!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This is all new. Does anyone have a green shake recipe? I am so glad I found this Dr as mine retired. How come the weight isn't falling off? Lost 5lbs in a month.

The first bit you lose is retained water that is required to process carbs. After that, you body has to step back, take stock, and find balance before converting to using fats as fuel. This process takes 4-8 weeks, depending. Some people have good genetics and lose quicker, but just remember, this way of eating isn't a miracle diet, and many times you will lose inches before the pounds drop off... There are many threads in the past month in which you can find all sorts of science to back this all up.
  • SOWISAorjustplainLora
    Options
    hello, i just started over....three days ago. i was on here for a little while a few months ago, i went a bit crazy with a move and other things. i would like to make friends again. thank you. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Um....5lbs in a month kind of is "falling off." That's over a pound a week, and is phenomenal.