How do you motivate yourself to leave your console?

Options
2»

Replies

• estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem at times, but nowadays I've realised that the anxiety I get from skipping an exercise in order to play makes gaming boring.

(The first month of WoD was quite hopeless though.)
  • abrazil65
    Options
    Your pretty much asking for the answers to the universe. :#
  • kiragami
    kiragami Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I haven't been motivated much before until now, but have been this last month. I have a very wild imagination and I started thinking, "Wouldn't it be nice if I could free run like Arno?" Or "Man, I wish I do *insert cool move from any game here*! Wow!"
    But then it dawned on me that 1st, I'm no free runner lol and 2nd, I will never be able to attempt to be as active as my digital friends, if I don't get off of my @$%. I realize that I won't be able to do everything, but if I try and stay active and get off the console, I can at least get cosplay ready.^^
    I also set aside the time for myself. If I have gone to the gym or my homework is done, I give myself the time to play my vids. :)
  • didda1
    didda1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do what I need to get done before I allow myself on a game. I've always done this.
    I'm a still ffxi daily player, but living near the Rocky Mountains (Canada) is plenty of motivation to haul my diseased carcass (I have many health issues that get in the way of real exercise, but I make sure to walk what I can every day) outside, and take a look around!
  • spngnetwork
    spngnetwork Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the comments - work before play.

For weekdays, If I get my hour of morning exercise in (walking/jogging or kinect/wii fitness game), I allow myself 30min (30 WHOLE MINUTES!) to 1 hour of gaming after putting the kids to sleep each night. If I don't miss any days, I can stay up late and play video games on Friday nights.
  • FairlyOddChelle
    FairlyOddChelle Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree with most people here, workout before play. I don't really find myself devoting my time to marathon gaming sessions, but back when I used to it was pretty bad and as long as I still went to the gym in the morning, I'd still lose weight.

And I didn't have any idea that FitRPG app existed! I've been wanting a FitBit, but decided to go with an HRM instead. The app sounds interesting...
  • Hijinkz
    Hijinkz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ironically something I found that really works for me is Fitocracy because it has achievements! Albeit that they can be very lacking sometimes and I started to make my own and that seems to work. It can be super hard to get moving sometimes, and sometimes the best way to start is to do it BEFORE you even touch the pc, console, handheld, etc for the day so you are seemingly rewarding your workout with the game and not forcing yourself off the game to workout.
  • c0untingsheep
    c0untingsheep Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I try to work out first thing in the morning, before I can convince myself otherwise. :p
  • SupermanAddict82
    SupermanAddict82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't leave my console. I used the exercise/fitness "games" to get up and move. I compete with myself and can track progress. But if I don't use my console I grab my jawbone up and take my bike out for a ride for about an hour.
  • NinstonBiller
    NinstonBiller Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use to be a hardcore gamer who would devote every moment of my life that wasn't for work or school to gaming. Then i became friends with some non gamers/ casual gamers and we would go out and have drinks and meet girls and have so much fun. So then i decided to take some of the time i put into gaming into my appearance. I lost a lot of weight and started lifting and started going out more and meeting new and exciting women, most of which enjoyed gaming occasionally.

I guess i just wanted to level up myself rather than my champ. If that makes sense ?
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use to be a hardcore gamer who would devote every moment of my life that wasn't for work or school to gaming. Then i became friends with some non gamers/ casual gamers and we would go out and have drinks and meet girls and have so much fun. So then i decided to take some of the time i put into gaming into my appearance. I lost a lot of weight and started lifting and started going out more and meeting new and exciting women, most of which enjoyed gaming occasionally.

I guess i just wanted to level up myself rather than my champ. If that makes sense ?

My boyfriend and I talk about that all the time: leveling up life skills, as if it had levels like in the games we play. It can be motivating to think of it that way.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Motivation? The best motivation is when I wake up and my KDR is .01 because I keep falling asleep. In all seriousness. I found a balance. I don't play during the week until my boys are in bed and my wife doesn't need my attention because studying needs to be done. Weekends though, me and the boys with game until the cows come home. Spring break is almost upon us. After morning workouts and some reading, it's game time!
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I used to do this thing where I'd turn all of my games into workouts? When Skyrim first came out, for example, I could not pull myself away for the life of me, so I made little goals to do after every in-game event. Kill a dragon? 10 pushups. Squat or lunge through NPC interactions. 3 rounds of 10 bicep curls and 20 crunches every time I died. It's not the best method, but it's better than nothing. Mornings are working out for me now though. Nights are my designated scream at the screen time.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Im surprised this thread wasn't revamped with the release of pokemon go, I haven't been so motivated to get off my laptop in months lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Im surprised this thread wasn't revamped with the release of pokemon go, I haven't been so motivated to get off my laptop in months lol

I've been quite impressed with the amount of people that I've seen moving about that I've never encountered before. I honestly hope that game can maintain a good head of steam, because damn people seem to be walking around a lot more.

I'd love to see some actual data on increased physical activity since it's launch, though I doubt that such a thing is possible.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Since you are a gamer try to find exercise activities which feel like they have a objective. You might want to look into fishing, hunting, bird watching, or geocaching.
  • thehexenbiest
    thehexenbiest Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Since you are a gamer try to find exercise activities which feel like they have a objective. You might want to look into fishing, hunting, bird watching, or geocaching.

I think you might be onto something here. While I'm not into any of those exercises, the machines at my gym have screens that show your progress like levels. For example another little dot lights up for every minute you've passed on there or for a certain distance you've gone. I find that really motivating in pathetic kinda way. :p
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It is pretty easy for me. I stare at a computer all day at work now. It is hard for me to play games for a long time on top of that without getting a headache. But also, I'm old now so I'm like ready for bed at 8pm.
  • xDesertxRatx
    xDesertxRatx Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just have to turn off and think of the benefits of an hours fitness copmpared to an hours gaming...no brainer for me.