Options
Hello!

Newbie here. Just finished reading The Fast Diet and am excited to give this a go! I've read through some posts and you all seem like a great group of people. My first fast day is Monday. I think physically it won't be hard but I'm a little nervous about staying disciplined during my lunch break when I usually reward myself with tons of food. And then in the evening when I reward myself with something sweet. Any tips on getting through these times?

Replies

• lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi Nadia and welcome! Lunchtime try a packet of chicken noodle soup. It does fill you up. If you need something sweet a teaspoon of peanut butter generally does the trick for me, or a diet coke ( not very healthy!) But perhaps the best thing to do is say 'I can have that tomorrow'. Good luck - it really does work.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Yes, many of us say...
    lulu1066 wrote: »
    'I can have that tomorrow'.
    It really works well!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lunchtime - it's hard to beat salad / vegetables if you are used to high volumes of food.

Evening - Ii you like "something sweet" on a fast day then berries can be remarkably low calorie while still giving you the taste.

Planning makes a huge difference so think about taste and volume as well as calories and nutrition. Also try and make your meals something you concentrate on rather than just grazing.

I have a small amount of sushi sometimes on a fast day and concentrating on the food, appreciating the intense flavours (wasabi, soy, ginger) is far more "filling" than just mindlessly stuffing down a sandwich while working or watching TV.

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi Nadia! I'm new too - we can learn together :)
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Welcome Nadia, Yes 'You can have it tomorrow' is phsycologically very powerful, for me it is the element that sets the 5:2 lifestyle apart from every other, and yes! after a while amazingly to paraphrase 'Monty Python' most find out that they do not actually want whatever it was that they wanted just the day before but put off until today lol :)
  • NadiaMirabilia
    NadiaMirabilia Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome and great tips! :)
  • ELMcGutters
    ELMcGutters Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    today is my first fast day, I had planned to not eat anything until tonight, but as I am usually a big eater, am beginning to struggle. Not much in the fridge, but have thrown together a carrot soup... as all I had was a carrot and onion that is low calorie... hope it tastes nice, chucked a load of herbs and spices in.
    I think my worry is that I will end up bingeing later on as I will be so hungry!!
    any tips people have for taking their mind off the hunger?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Keep busy, drink lots of water, and have your menu planned out in advance!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    today is my first fast day, I had planned to not eat anything until tonight, but as I am usually a big eater, am beginning to struggle. Not much in the fridge, but have thrown together a carrot soup... as all I had was a carrot and onion that is low calorie... hope it tastes nice, chucked a load of herbs and spices in.
    I think my worry is that I will end up bingeing later on as I will be so hungry!!
    any tips people have for taking their mind off the hunger?

try chewing gum too....it does help
  • snaps27
    Options
    I drink tea with a bit of milk all morning and that helps until I have my dinner. But you will find out what works for you over time.
  • phanmale13
    phanmale13 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been successful so far 3 weeks into the 5:2 and lost weight and sometimes inches every week. I have a routine cup of tea with milk and no sugar in the morning, but then drink water all day until a 500 cals or less meal in the evening.
    If I *really, really* crave something that I haven't counted, I hide it away at the back of my fridge or cupboard and think "I can eat that tomorrow, just be good for the rest of today and you know you have earned it". A lot of the time, the next day comes and I've completely forgotten about my hidden stash! There has been just 1 day of the last 20 odd that I just couldn't contain my fat mouth and overate by about 400 cals (just over 900 for the day), so I made that week a 4:3 - stuck to the 500 fast the next day, then went back to my normal fast days without a pang of guilt.
    I found a half eaten packet of biscuits last night that I bought over a month ago - it wouldn't have been unusual for me to demolish those in one sitting (I live alone, so the option is there) but just don't do it now.
    The 5:2 doesn't work for everyone, but all the time it's working for me, I'm sticking to it :)

• NadiaMirabilia
    Options
    Hey guys! So my first two fast days are done. I didn't quite keep it at 500 calories either day. I think I'm still finding how to make it work for me. Monday I hit 700 calories and Wednesday I hit 600. I am trying not to be too down on myself and think of it as "lessons learned" ie. breakfast is not the way to go for me as it makes me hungrier all day, and planning ahead is THE key to making it work.

My question is - I found it hard to hit my full calories on feast days! Overall, I feel like I am just eating less on a daily basis which is maybe not the point of the 5:2 lifestyle. Any thoughts on this?
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I vary the numbers, and try to be guided by appetite, often the day after a fast I'm not that hungry and get to 1500 but the more consecutive food days the higher the cals get higher up to 2300 and then a fast is a relief. I try not to eat back exercise calories but they are there if I have a chocolate attack
  • ACSL3
    Options
    I end up eating my full calorie allotment on non-fast days (sometimes a bit more) - but I end up feeling sick and feeling like I overate. That's just me tending to eat everything that's on my plate even after I know I'm full though. I think if I can get myself to not do that, I would also have a hard time getting to my full calorie goal on days after fasting.

I definitely find it's easier to stay under my calorie goal for the week though which is a huge blessing of this way of eating. Hopefully now I can get myself to stop when I'm full, even if there's a dessert staring at me :)
  • NadiaMirabilia
    Options
    ACSL3 - I understand! yesterday I reached for more chocolate and prepackaged snack foods to use up all my calories and I felt TERRIBLE. I guess if I am eating healthy and eating until full that is all I really need to worry about. I was also raised to "clean my plate" so I just use smaller plates now. ha!
  • ACSL3
    Options
    It took me a while to realize that if I use smaller plates I'll eat less - what a novel idea right? :) I've been using bowls lately for the same reason.

I also found these freeze dried soybeans that I pre-portioned into serving size baggies and put them in my drawer to eat after I work out. I think it's a bit more than 100 calories per portion and since they're already measured out I don't mindlessly munch through half the bag :blush:
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Lol yep smaller plates make a massive difference. I eat off a bread and butter plate now. I finish my plate off too. I wonder if our parents all went to the same parent school lol
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I make a 10 calorie hot chocolate some nights - 1 tbs. of unsweetened cocoa powder, a tsp. of vanilla and a packet of splenda.
  • snaps27
    Options
    I have discovered 8cal Werther sugar free sweets. I have one of these if I'm real desperate and it really helps.