TMI Tuesday Paleo style!

Options
KombuchaCat
KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
Has anyone noticed that going Paleo makes your, um, #2's smaller? I feel like when I eat extremely nutrient dense there's less waste...in more ways than one :wink:

Replies

• sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It's because you're operating on all cylinders! lol

Now that's efficient! :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Smaller and easier. Less stinky. Just a much happier bathroom experience.... made even better with a Squatty Potty.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Smaller and easier. Less stinky. Just a much happier bathroom experience.... made even better with a Squatty Potty.

^ :star:

I like the term I saw in an MDA article one time about the insoluble fiber in the grain products -- "insoluble fiber-driven fecal hypertrophy." (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/do-you-really-need-to-eat-vegetables-to-be-healthy/)

It's a perfect description, because that's basically what happens. Insoluble fiber is to human fecal matter what packing peanuts are to shipping boxes -- stuff to add bulk and not much else (in fact, I'd argue packing peanuts serve more purpose to shipping boxes than insoluble fiber does to said fecal matter).

I've also found going #2 to be cleaner this way. I never understood the idea that our perfect stool should be the consistency of toothpaste, which results in quite a bit of a mess. That doesn't make sense from a "wild"/Paleo point of view, in my opinion. At some point, we didn't use even leaves to clean ourselves up, but having *kitten* caked on our butts would not only spread disease (and cause discomfort), but would add a smell to us that our prey and hunters would be able to pick up.
  • Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I noticed the same thing when I switched my cats to a grain free diet. Less stool and less smell.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I noticed the same thing when I switched my cats to a grain free diet. Less stool and less smell.

I switched my dogs to raw, prey model a few years back. Helped my shepherd mix immensely (and not just with stool, either, which was awesome). The poor dog had the worst stool before that. Smelled horrible and was rarely solid. Switched to prey model and within a week, they were solid and didn't smell. Breaks down to nothingness within a couple of days, too, which is awesome.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Do you mind sharing what you switched to. I have three stinky cats!
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use wet food, the brands are Weruva and BFF from my local pet store. They also have special dry food because one has urinary problems and the vet says he needs it.
    The poop is much less stinky and not as creamy. One of my cats has issues cleaning her butt. She used to leave smears on furniture. But now it's all clean!
  • Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use BLUE Wilderness, grain free for indoor cats.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Do not necessarily follow the advice of vets on pet food! That's my experience anyway. Cats should not be eating the foods they usually recommend, low fat and/or low protein (this is what they do for kidney problems!!!), grains, toxic seed oils. Always read the ingredients. Their urinary issues are due to biologically inappropriate foods. Cats are meant to eat meat, just meat, even more so than dogs. It would be very affordable to make your own cat food to address specific health problems. I own two big dogs so less affordable but the grain free kibble with whatever real meat, bones, and organs that I can give them is working very well.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Yeah, cat's aren't humans and don't respond the same way as humans to "kidney diets." They actually need the protein for their kidneys to be healthy. It sounds backwards as hell, but it's true.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I put my 3 FAT cats on Taste of the Wild and Precise Holistic (both grain free) 2 yars ago and now they are skinny! I have to supplement with JUNK FOOD and give them non-grain free to bulk them up! They are old! My oldest is 18, then 17 then 15. I put them on it originally when I got my puppy. I was feeding him homemade food and the vet scared me off so I got him grain free! They LOVED it!! So I bought them the cat version.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^Vets drive me nuts. How is homemade food inferior to a kibble in a bag from a factory? Of course one has to understand the nutritional needs of the animals and make sure that's addressed (organs, bones etc) but where's the logic that real food is bad for pets? Or anyone? It's like too much education creates a form of mental retardation especially when it comes to critical thinking and logic.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @Akimajuktuq‌, they scared me because they said if I didn't get the balances of minerals right I would screw him up for good and his development. They wanted to send me to a canine dietician 50 min away I can't afford. Nor can I afford the websites they promote
    So its grain free!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    @Akimajuktuq‌, they scared me because they said if I didn't get the balances of minerals right I would screw him up for good and his development. They wanted to send me to a canine dietician 50 min away I can't afford. Nor can I afford the websites they promote
    So its grain free!

80% meat/sinew/fat
    10% edible bones (not supporting bones of large animals, that will tear up their teeth)
    5% liver
    5% other organs

Whole prey have the correct ratios you need, so if you don't feel prey model, then use that as a guideline.

I love this resource -- http://rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html -- from it:
    Raw bones are living tissue composed of living cells and just like any other part of the body, they are a complex source of biologically balanced minerals, especially calcium, yet also copper, iodine, iron, magnesium, zinc, and manganese. It is highly probable that bones in a dog’s diet play a similar role to fibre, that is, a role of bulking out the food, thereby removing toxins and promoting general bowel health.

I also love this one -- http://rawfed.com/myths/

I found one a while back that talked about puppies raised on raw vs kibble, and it mentioned that, especially in large breeds, their growth was a lot more symmetrical (instead of the almost cartoonish growth kibble fed dogs go through), and the larger breeds didn't have as many of the joint issues commonly associated with being larger.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    One of my cats loved bone broth. I especially gave it to her the weeks before she passed away not long ago. And my surviving cat, Kitn, eats grain free food that I purchase, but we have always supplemented with real food as well. Runny egg yolks are really good for them and they love it.....and bacon fat too. They get the breakfast plates after we finish with them, with a few treats left. I had a cat years ago that I used to feed raw meat to. We don't have dogs, but my farmers supply dog bones for free to the dog owners in our subscription group.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Pet food is rocket science... lol Think of a whole animal - that's what's safe to eat; info Dragonwolf so kindly provided. I don't have the means to feed my dogs all raw animal foods either but I certainly give them what I can. Even if it's only grain free kibble and dried organ meats it beats the vet recommended grain based, low fat kibble. Of course the neighbours starving dogs get the majority of the good stuff that gets donated to me. :(
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have a german shepherd puppy 22 weeks old and the breeder raised him on a raw diet and we continued this. He is still on 3 meals a day and his meals consist of (we rotate these) chicken wings, sardines with greek yoghurt 1 egg and kelp powder and raw pet mince complete with bones, sweet potato and our own vegetable concoction. The veg concoction is raw broccoli, spinach, carrots, Apple, garlic and fish oil puréed together. He also gets bones and duck necks regularly.
    He is growing well and his coat is glossy but he still gets loose stools on occasions. The children don't feed him anything and he doesn't get the opportunity to steal food. Could it be the Greek yoghurt. We found cottage cheese didn't suit him at all and took it out of his diet even though the breeder swore by it. Any ideas.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    The dairy most definitely! Dogs (and cats) do not need dairy products and it does much the same as it does to many of us.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I'd say there might be too much fiber, too. Dogs aren't omnivores like humans, they're carnivores who might eat plants once in a while. The dairy is probably the worst offender, but if you're still having issues, remove the fibrous vegetables, namely the broccoli and spinach.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^what Dragonwolf said too. Dog ancestors ate some veggies and berries but very little. I just couldn't believe that the breeder was recommending the dairy. omg I think I'd want to be cautious with all things not animal based. Kelp too just doesn't seem right.