Scheduling Advice Needed

Options
RunRachelleRun
RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I am run/walking 4-5 days a week and doing strength/flexibility 2 days. My schedule follows. I had my lactate and VO2 max tested and the kinesiologist gave me zone targets. I am using zones 1 and 3 right now (Zone 1:139-154, Zone 3 max: 174; aerobic threshold: 154 bpm, lactate threshold: 172). For simplicity I'm calling them runs, but they are all currently run/walks generally ratios of 1:1 or 2:1 running/walking. I've slowly been graduating into more running than walking.

Sun - long run (currently @ 85 mins - high Zone 1)
Mon - easy run (30-45 mins - low Zone 1), strength (~30 mins), flexibility (~30 mins)
Tues - rest
Wed - hills or speed (~60 mins - max Zone 3)
Thurs - rest
Friday - intervals (~75 mins high Zone 1)
Sat - easy run (30-45 mins - low Zone 1) or longer walk, strength (~30 mins), flexibility (~30 mins)

I'm finding my legs are very heavy on runs the days after strength training, but since I am losing about a pound a week and still have 60ish pounds to lose, I think it's important to continue strength training so I can keep as much muscle as possible.

I've got a 5K in April, 10Ks in June and July, and a half in October so my long run will get progressively longer.

Any advice? What is your schedule like or what works for you? How do you fit in strength training without it affecting your runs? Do I just stick it out and it will get easier or should I rearrange my strength days so I can better meet my running goals? . . . Thanks!

Replies

• lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    when i started out i ran 3 days a week, and am currently at 4 days a week: two easy runs, one long run, and one speed (alternate intervals and tempo) run. since you're currently training for a 5k, you could drop one of your easy runs in favour of strength training, and then add it back in later as you start training for longer races. of course, i am old and fear injury from overtraining, so that is just what works for me.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I think you may be putting too much time into your speed/ intervals and not enough time into your easy running. I like to do my strength workouts on the same day as my speed work (and keep those runs shorter) and then I feel like I get more recovery out of my easy days.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    That makes perfect sense. I will switch my 2nd strength day to Wednesday and shorten my speed workout, making Saturday an easy/recovery day before my long run. Thank you for the replies.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    For being a beginner, you certainly are over-complicating this. Run easy until you can run for 100% of your workout duration.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Your schedule looks a lot more like an intermediate or advance runner. Intervals, hills & speed work should be put on hold until you have more experience, plus how can you get a good speed work session in when you are walking part of it. At the rate you are going an injury is in your near future.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Yes. I completely missed the part about the run/walking. I agree that you should not be worried about speed work until you get your running up to 100%.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is way too complicated for someone who is still doing run/walk intervals. I can't even understand half of this.

I would start with a Hal Hidgeon half plan. It will get you to where you want to be for your first half.

I wouldn't worry about HR zones, and hills and speedwork until you are running at least 30mpw. Easy runs is all you need. Build up your base :)
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    My program was set up by a kinesiologist in November. I am not exactly a beginner, just starting over after a lengthy illness (a virus attacked my heart) last year. I did Hal Higdon's plan for my first half a couple of years ago, but I was training way too hard - I didn't know my correct zones at the time, but now know I stayed in zone 4 and 5 mainly. My avg hr was 181 for my first half. I realized this time around I needed professional help :\

I did nothing but walking and easy runs for four months, and the intervals are still easy - they are mainly in zone 1, but have set running times as opposed to running only by heart rate. It was nice to recently add some variety with alternating hills or speed once a week (which is only a little faster than my easy pace). After my first trail 5K earlier this month I feel like hills are particularly valuable. Wednesdays are the only day I go out of Zone 1 hr into Zone 3 hr, which still feels pretty easy.

I guess I wrote a complicated post in my attempts to be thorough :blush: My program doesn't seem overly complicated to me, and I've been seeing regular progress. I have a long slow journey ahead, and the goal is always to avoid injury, but I thought strength training is supposed to help that. I simply wanted to add a second strength day as everything I read suggests two times a week is the minimum, and my program only had one.

I didn't expect so many to suggest I should not be doing most of the things I am doing, including strength training. I will think about your comments - thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • lporter229
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Reading back through this thread, I realize that some of the advice people are giving may come off sounding a little harsh. I think the point we are trying to make is that getting bogged down in speed work and HR and all of those little details can sometimes take that joy out of running. If you are currently doing mostly walk/run intervals, you can realize the most gains simply by running more at an easy effort. There is no need to over complicate it until fine tuning your running becomes necessary. Go out and enjoy running for the sake of running while you can :)

ETA:I think I posted while you were posted, so I did not read the above. Sorry to hear about your illness and glad to hear you have made a recovery. If you are working with a professional, I would trust in their advice. As far as strength training goes, I believe that you should do as much as you can fit into your running schedule. I am a big fan of yoga and pilates for core work.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    In my opinion sticking to a combination of easy running and walking will get you the results you want without risking injury.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    In my opinion sticking to a combination of easy running and walking will get you the results you want without risking injury.

This is what I'm doing currently
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    You don't need a kinesiologist to tell you to run easy. Again, overcomplicating.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    HopeToRun wrote: »
    My program was set up by a kinesiologist in November. I am not exactly a beginner, just starting over after a lengthy illness (a virus attacked my heart) last year.

You might have the "head knowledge", but your body IS starting over. Therefore, you need to default back to slow, easy miles, and lots of them.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Also your vo2max and LT numbers can change a bunch as you get in shape. When I did mine the trainer advised me to have it done again after the running season to see how or if things have changed.

I looked at your profile and it looks like your from Canada. I know kinesiology is a bigger thing there with the healthcare issues than here in the states. Most of us in the states look at an kinesiologist as someone who puts funny tape on muscles. I have worked with one for our kids who had some issues with their feet and have been pleased with their work, I just didn't realize they wrote custom training plans. Most running coaches here or trainers with running background would probably give you the same advice most of us have, just run easy and not worry about the HR zones, speed work hills, intervals, etc. until you have a good 20+ miles per week base, and then probably only add 1 day of any of those more advance runs but not 2 days.

Again I think your plan is really ambitious when it's not 100% running. I looked at your times you have posted in your profile and also realized you might not be running anywhere near as fast as some of us. Looks like you are probably running 15 minute miles or so, so hopefully you'll stay injury free.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, everyone.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    HopeToRun wrote: »
    My program was set up by a kinesiologist in November. I am not exactly a beginner, just starting over after a lengthy illness (a virus attacked my heart) last year.

You might have the "head knowledge", but your body IS starting over. Therefore, you need to default back to slow, easy miles, and lots of them.

+1
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I was also looking at your profile...

With your current half PR, you would make IMPRESSIVE gain with only easy runs. Seriously, work on your base and endurance. Forget about intervals and hills and speedwork and tempo. Go out at an easy pace, then slow down a bit more. You should finish your long with the feeling that you could run easily another 3-5km. It will feel slow at first, but I swear that pace will get faster and you will get faster.

Also, not doing hills and speedwork would also help your legs not feeling too tired and would allow you to keep up with your strength training.

And my old coach told me once: You should do your most important activity first (running). Your cross training shouldn't make your workouts harder.