confession time

Options
rdischar
rdischar Posts: 5 Member
I know there is already a board made for "getting back on track," but it hasn't been very active, so I wanted to post where others will actually see in hopes of getting a better response. Is anyone out there a few years post-op (RNY or otherwise) who is working on getting back to basics after some regain? I have gained back about 20 lbs over the past year due to poor eating habits. While I haven't been drinking carbonated beverages, I have allowed myself too much sugar, and portions that are too large, as well as snacking too often and drinking too much alcohol during the week. I sure enjoyed myself, but I made a commitment when I had this surgery, and I want to stick with it! I don't want my medical issues coming back, and I want to be healthy. I know exactly where the weight came from, and I know exactly how to get it back off, BUT....it's always nice to hear support from others who are going through similar things or have in the past. Anyone?

Replies

• lisa2job
    Options
    Right there with you ...had the sleeve and I lost 119 pounds two years ago and gained back 35 pounds due to a back injury now I want to lose 50 more so I can be at goal...
  • rdischar
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your back injury! I know we can do it, even though it's not easy...we did it before, we can do it again! :) My goal is to get about 20 more pounds off so that I can get back to my loss of 100lbs total. If anything beyond that happens, it will be a bonus!
  • lisa2job
    Options
    Yep we sure could
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'M IN THE SAME BOAT. THIS IS A DIET FOR LIFE FOR ME AND I LET THAT MIND SET SLIP. I'VE BOUNCED UP AND DOWN AS MUCH AS 30LBS OVER TWO YEARS. MOST OF THE TIME IT WAS OUT OF MY CONTROL AS I HAVE UN RELATED HEALTH ISSUES THAT SCREW WITH MY WEIGHT LOSS AND MAINTENANCE. HOWEVER, THE 20LBS I'M SADDLED WITH NOW IS ALL ON ME AND MY NEGLECTFUL BEHAVIOR.

I'M BACK TO BASICS DOING AN EXTENDED ATKINS INDUCTION WHICH IS NUTRITIONALLY SIMILAR TO MY SURGEONS PLAN. I'VE RAISED THE PROTEIN, CUT THE CARBS, AND FORTUNATELY I'VE ALWAYS STAYED HYDRATED.

WE DID IT BEFORE AND WE CAN AND WILL DO IT AGAIN. MY PROMISE TO MYSELF IS THAT I WILL NEVER BUY A LARGER SIZE. I'M DRESSED IN RAGS OR LOOK LIKE HELL CAUSE MY CLOTHES DON'T FIT. I'M VAIN AND PRIDE MYSELF ON MY LOOKS BE IT A SIZE 2 OR A SIZE 20. TRYING TO LOOK PRESENTABLE EVERY DAY IS AN INCENTIVE.

I TYPE LOUD BECAUSE I SEE SOFT ;-)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 3.5 years ago, lose slow and stall often, not yet to goal. I gaines 10 pounds Thanksgiving through Jan. 1 and there is only one reason. I was eating out of control again. I do not in any way blame it on the holidays. So far, I've lost 5 of that 10, working on the rest and then on to goal eventually.
  • rdischar
    Options

Good job! I know what you mean!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am just over 3 years out from being sleeved. I lost 147 pounds initially (from 325 to 178) and still needed to lose out 20 more to get to my goal weight within the first 15 months. I had stalled at 147 pounds for about 6 months to no avail and had decided that I was healthy, happy and looked good at that weight so I would just stay there. But then I fell into old habits of eating more and snacking on chips and such and slacked off on the exercise. That was about a year ago. Now I am just starting over the lose the 25 pounds I have gained over the last year. I will be happy to get back to the 170's again as it was a good weight for me.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    rdischar wrote: »
    I know there is already a board made for "getting back on track," but it hasn't been very active, so I wanted to post where others will actually see in hopes of getting a better response. Is anyone out there a few years post-op (RNY or otherwise) who is working on getting back to basics after some regain? I have gained back about 20 lbs over the past year due to poor eating habits. While I haven't been drinking carbonated beverages, I have allowed myself too much sugar, and portions that are too large, as well as snacking too often and drinking too much alcohol during the week. I sure enjoyed myself, but I made a commitment when I had this surgery, and I want to stick with it! I don't want my medical issues coming back, and I want to be healthy. I know exactly where the weight came from, and I know exactly how to get it back off, BUT....it's always nice to hear support from others who are going through similar things or have in the past. Anyone?
    Good job on getting control of regain now. The pain of re-gain is real for many WLS patients, but it can be controlled. It takes recognition, planning and never giving up. Good job!

Yes this group is not that active, until someone is seeking support before or post op 2 years and out. Sorry, when people are in their honeymoon stages, we don't see them much and that is very understandable. Keep up the good work!
  • LordTwinkie
    Options
    I'm right there, after so long being down I let the fundamentals slip, heck I didn't even remember them. So I had to and still need to re-learn.
  • sheripamela
    sheripamela Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Getting back on track...it is not easy but I need this!!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    LordTwinkie, sheripamela, is an old thread (shame) here. But so proud to see you both getting back on track! I find that support and logging help me stay on track. Awesome for us!
  • delie63
    delie63 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought a book called The 5 day pouch test owners manual by Kaye Bailey. It's a great tool to relearn our pouch rules that over the years we have forgotten. I've lost about 20 lbs since March just relearning the basics. I've slipped up and stalled eating some junk and drinking wine during the week. I notice now my pouch and gastric system is uncomfortable and it's because of the above. Decided today to put the book back in use and get back to basics so I feel good again
  • gabriellebrown71
    gabriellebrown71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am just 4 weeks from having WLS but i was having hard time losing weight. I knew that after surgery the weight would not just fall off but i had no idea it would still come off this slow. I am glad that i found these threads and reading all of your post proved to me that the weight can come back. I do not want that cause having the surgery was a big step for all of us. I look forward to losing to my goal and even though i am a newbie, this thread helped me see that i am not alone. I gained a few pounds i the last 2 weeks so i had to lose that first before i can get to losing more. I will keep viewing the blog for updates on all of you. we can so do this
  • rdischar
    Options
    Good luck to everyone! I know we can do it, we've done it before. Keep it up! :)