Recent Gastric Bypass patient

So, I just had gastric bypass on Tuesday April 16th, and was wondering if anyone else felt bloated 5 days later? Also I am curious if people still find myfitnesspal a useful tool to use after surgery since I haven't been able to find a way to adjust my settings so it doesn't tell me that I am not eating enough lol

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    So, I just had gastric bypass on Tuesday April 16th, and was wondering if anyone else felt bloated 5 days later? Also I am curious if people still find myfitnesspal a useful tool to use after surgery since I haven't been able to find a way to adjust my settings so it doesn't tell me that I am not eating enough lol

It can take time for the air to leave the abdomen after rny. I use MFP daily, as I did prior to my surgery. You can change your settings to meet your needs, or just ignore them. At any rate, it's a great tool to keep track of that protein intake and water. I have my setting set per surgeon/dietitian request--at first it was set for 700 calories with 60 g protein and it is now set for 1100 calories (I am almost 7 months out.) I don't always meet my goal in calories, but I make sure that protein is up and that I track my water intake. My dietitian follows me here on MFP. I don't worry at all about MFP telling me I am not eating enough because there isn't much chance that I can satisfy a computer. Hope this helped. Good luck on this new journey!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    You will probably not be able to eat much at all for a while, so you probably do not have to worry about counting calories, just protein and water. The first couple weeks I lived on 4 slim fast low carb shakes and that was it (80 grams of protein).

Good luck in your journey. I had RNY 4.5 years ago.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    I think i just sent you a message, not realizing surgery was complete. Gas and bloating were normal and still are on occasion. . Your stomach and digestive system adjusting to new food. When u get to solid food chew chew chew. If u are on liquids or soft foods, many are milk or whey based and they are gassy till u get used to them. It will be exciting to see your journey. Lots of support here and lots of success. Follow your plan and use your new tool to the MAX!.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member

Mfp is great tool for tracking protein and water and walking exercise. Walking will help the gas issue! Dont worry about making MFD happy. Just get in the protein and stay well hydrated!
  • I was told everyday (still am) that I am not eating enough or getting enough calories.

Dont pay it any attention. Just use it as a way to track yourself.
  • Eventually you will be able to eat more and when your about two years in, you will need my fitness plan to help you not go over your calorie intake and keeping your nutrient together
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    ahut414 wrote: »

I didn't use it much in the first few weeks, but after that I use it every day. Both to track my food and this group as a support.

Randy
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    I use MFP everyday to track my protein. You can adjust it to what your nutritional needs are. I also use it for support!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    I find MFP most valuable in keeping me mindful and honest about tracking everything I eat. And increasingly the ability to share the experience with others on the same journey.