First week of 5:2-- thrilled to find this group!!

Options
Kuniklo
Kuniklo Posts: 3 Member
Hello all! I just start the 5:2 diet this week and thus far am very excited about its potential. I’ve been using MFP on and off for quite a while but found sticking to a strict caloric intake everyday very difficult for me, and not sustainable. For the past 2 years I’ve watched my weight fluctuate the same 15 lbs over and over, and am ready for a permanent change!

I also love love love the idea of only having to think about dieting twice a week. I believe dieting and weight loss is more a mental game than anything else, and this is a game I think I’ll do well at. For the first time in a quite a while I am feeling optimistic about my ability to lose weight. Finding this group is a great support too! When the hunger pains hit on my fast days, at least I’ll know I’m not alone in this journey.

If anyone would like to add me as a friend, I would love to share recipes and help keep each other on track :D

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. If it suits you this way of eating can become a very easy lifestyle to adopt, especially if you only have a small amount to lose. It is particularly suited to maintaining, something i managed for quite a while on it, its the losing I have a problem with LOL!!! Add me if you want. I do tend to eat the same things though!
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great group and great way of life.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi Abeck! You sound like you have a very positive mindset, so let's cheer each other on!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! We wish you well on this new journey.
  • Kuniklo
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm excited to get to know you all!!
  • JJA14
    JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi there - this is a great group, all at different stages (of life as well as healthy weight!) and all with something to give.
    - Welcome and feel free to add me if you like.
  • victoria_smith
    victoria_smith Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am new to this too (today is my first fast day).. I am trying to keep a good mind-set... I know how I get when I am hungry!! I have armed myself with chewing gum and will drink plenty of water! Good luck with your journey! :smiley:
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Happy first fast day!!!!!
    Ooh and welcome too lol
  • victoria_smith
    Options
    I have a feeling I am going to struggle!! But I am determined to lose this weight!! I find coming on here and reading peoples success stories is really helping me!
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling. Drink water. Every time you're desperate for food, have another drink. It dulls that stomach eating itself feeling. Then if you're still starving 5 minutes later eat a pre planned bit of food.
  • victoria_smith
    Options
    Thank you :smile: I will do that!
  • jknight001
    Options
    Hot drinks help too, like herbal tea. Warms the stomach a bit.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    Hot drinks help too, like herbal tea. Warms the stomach a bit.

I've only been doing this a couple of weeks, so I'm fairly new too, but I agree that hot drinks help. Hot tea tends to help more for me than just water - may be it tricks my stomach into thinking it's getting something lol :)

• jknight001
    Options
    Yup and the hot drink is relaxing for you. A win-win situation.
  • victoria_smith
    Options
    First fast day went well :smiley: I only went over by a few calories- which is amazing for me!! Plenty of water and hot drinks really helped! Onwards and upwards :smile:
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Daft as it may seem, I now look forward to the fast days. On sunday I can not wait for Tuesday, and not having to be concerned about food untill the evening.
  • NadiaMirabilia
    NadiaMirabilia Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! It's my first week, too. B)
  • Kuniklo
    Options
    I wish MFP notified when people replied to threads!! Just saw there were more replies :smiley:

So excited to see all these new 5:2-ers! We're gonna do great everyone!!!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think, if you hit the star for 'favorite' on the post, you get a notification.