sick, sick, sick.... is it what I ate last night?

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
So I battle nausea quite frequently, but today it's doubly worse AND combined with running to the bathroom. Could it be the Atkins Endulge bar I ate last night? That's the only thing I did differently--that, taking a magnesium supplement last night, and having Greek yogurt with almonds for breakfast instead of my usual eggs with spinach. I'm about to have some Organic Morning Wellness tea to see if that helps the queasies, but at this point I'm just hoping I can make it through the workday...

Replies

• DianaElena76
    Options
    The weird thing is, an hour ago when my supervisor asked, "How are you today?," I said, "Fantastic!" And I truly meant it. Maybe it's the yogurt? The almonds?
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't have the bug... it's pretty bad here in Austin and it hits really suddenly like that. Sending good vibes your way and hoping you feel better soon.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It could be anything. I have a bit of a week stomach. Magnesium supplements send me over the edge. There are days when supplements have made me sick for nearly half of the day. However, you've eaten since then so it may not be that I for sure cannot take the full dosage of magnesium.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Oh dear. So if it's the magnesium, what do you do to be sure you get enough? I was actually thinking my "usual" nausea was a symptom of magnesium deficiency. I have also been getting headaches, irritability, fatigue, and the occasional palpitations, all of which I assumed were due to not getting enough magnesium. That's why I bought the supplements, but what if I can't take them?
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Thank goodness, the tea is helping the nausea a bit! But now I'm scared to eat ANY of the things I had last night and this morning..... *sigh*
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Im not sure but I know Magnesium supplements make my stomach ache. I have tried two separate brands and each time I'm left in pain

• m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    First of all I'm appalled at the spelling and lack of punctuation in my previous post. Hopefully the work I've completed so far doesn't look the same! :\

I should be taking magnesium every day but I'm really bad at staying on top of it. Are you taking both pills at the same time or splitting the dose? I do better with mine if I take one at night and one in the morning. But always, always with food. I do the best if I just take the one at night. Then I sleep through the nausea. Since you're feeling crappy this morning, I think you probably didn't fill your stomach enough. Do you drink coffee? For some reason I've convinced myself that my body isn't a fan of coffee + magnesium. The fat in a BPC is just not enough to make a difference. I have to eat something of substance.
  • DianaElena76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I bought 500mg pills, so it's a once-a-day dose. I'm trying to remember when I took it yesterday. I think it was early evening, as I was putting away groceries and eating cottage cheese. I did read that you should take it with a meal, so I made sure I ate when I took it, but it definitely wasn't a full meal. I felt fine this morning when I got up and when I was drinking my coffee. I don't eat until I get to work, which is about 2.5-3 hours after I get up, and I felt fine as I was starting my breakfast too; but then it hit me after I'd had some yogurt and almonds.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Was it magnesium citrate? Diarrhea is a common side effect. In fact, that's what they give you to clean out your GI tract before a colonoscopy. (Probably much higher doses than what you're taking.)
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Was it magnesium citrate? Diarrhea is a common side effect. In fact, that's what they give you to clean out your GI tract before a colonoscopy. (Probably much higher doses than what you're taking.)

Well *kitten*..... it sure was.
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Im glad you're feeling a little better! I use the plain Centrum multivitamins since it has both magnesium and potassium in them (just a little though). Supplements tend to hurt my stomach a lot but the multivitamins dont for some reason. Plus I take it with my biggest meal.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I probably should have just gotten a good multivitamin instead. My prenatal vitamins (which I was taking because I was still breastfeeding until a couple weeks ago and I am going to finish the bottle before buying regular multis) don't have magnesium in them.

I'll try taking the magnesium with a full meal tonight and have my usual breakfast of eggs with spinach and cheese for breakfast tomorrow. We'll see if that helps or if I have to ditch the magnesium citrate.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I've also been wondering, as I've seen an increase in morning nausea over the past week or so, if I'm more sensitive to caffeine the further along I get... or maybe my body doesn't like heavy cream (I drank my coffee black until a week or so ago and then started adding heavy cream). Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I've also been wondering, as I've seen an increase in morning nausea over the past week or so, if I'm more sensitive to caffeine the further along I get... or maybe my body doesn't like heavy cream (I drank my coffee black until a week or so ago and then started adding heavy cream). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I accidentally added more coconut oil to my BPT this morning, after intentionally lowering my HWC because I wanted to add creamer when I got to work. I didn't add the creamer, and I didn't need my broth today, though I did toss some salt in my palm because....

I do notice some sensitivity with cream when I'd been off milk for years, but I notice it more with butter, sour cream, and cream cheese, unless cooked into something. I'm not personally more sensitive to caffeine, but I've never really had that problem.

I have heard of folks needing to eat something alongside their coffee to not be nauseous though.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Dear oh dear, my poor body is sensitive to many more things than I realized. I always knew sugar.... and way too much caffeine at once.... but now there are more and more things...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My friend told me to help keep perspective that I was washing all the mud off my car after treating it poorly for years and years, so now I was able to see the damage I'd done - and to start fixing what I can. It helped me SO much, because lordy knows I've been diagnosed with more problems and medicated for more since I STARTED losing weight!!
  • DianaElena76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well I didn't have cream in my coffee this morning, and I didn't take the magnesium last night.... but I'm still nauseous. Not as bad as yesterday, but it's still there. Time for more ginger tea.....
  • SRJennings
    SRJennings Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have found that it is extremely difficult to figure out which of many food items or vitamins cause distress. Perhaps you could try to cut out all milk and the magnesium for a few days, and then only add one back in to see if you get a reaction. I hope that you find the culprit soon!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I haven't taken the magnesium since.. and I checked again: It's not magnesium citrate. It's this one: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_i1iVw8GSlAS_aXV3iodQT2o-3rUujmOgwXDZ_3UtYTdeV6U&usqp=CAY

I've also cut back dramatically on coffee. I was up to almost two pots a day--an 8-cup pot before work and at least two more travel mugs while at work. And I'm using less cream as well. I'm so bad at cutting out one thing at a time--N=1 doesn't work so well for me because I throw EVERYTHING at a problem at once. :)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Did you start dramatically cutting back on coffee before or after you were getting nauseated? I'm asking because my dad is flat on his back in bed, nauseated, by noon if he doesn't get his morning coffee. When he had heart surgery and was told no fluids after midnight, he was chugging a pot of coffee at 11:55.