Breastfeeding Moms

Options
How many calories do you add onto your total calorie allowance to make up for those burned breastfeeding. And has anyone found a way to incorporate it into the app like weight watchers does?

Replies

• ksnel3
    ksnel3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In the food diary, you can search "breastfeeding" and it will pop up several options. I use the "3-6 month -400 cals" for mine.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I do the breastfeeding one in the food diary that says 1oz and it subtracts 500 calories. Now the previous poster says 400 for 3-6 months, eek! I'll lower mine once she starts solids.
  • Dolci07
    Dolci07 Posts: 37 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I subtract 500. My son will be 3 months old soon. As long as they are exclusively breastfeed I believe it stays around 500. Once they add solids its a little less. I'm losing quite a bit of weight so I would say it is accurate.
  • KenzF
    KenzF Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank You!
  • ajhouse
    ajhouse Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I just set my calorie goal about 300 higher than I would to lose weight. I think I'll start logging it this way...
  • devinkate
    Options
    ajhouse wrote: »
    I just set my calorie goal about 300 higher than I lfjazwould to lose weight. I think I'll start logging it this way...

That's what I've been doing as well. Didn't realize it was an option to add breastfeeding in the diary. Cool!

• JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm adding 500 as well. A friend of mine does, too, but logs it as an exercise rather than a food.
  • urbanhiker12
    Options
    Hello moms! I am new to mfp and would like to meet other moms. Please add me if you want!
  • MusicMom76
    Options
    I just added you. I'm home with 2 kids, the baby is 4 months. I have 50 lbs to lose of pregnancy and pre-pregnancy weight while still breastfeeding.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    BF'ing momma checking in (of a 15 month old!).

I bf and pump a LOT (I donate a huge chunk of what I pump) so I add 600 extra calories, sometimes more if I get another pumping/feeding session in.
  • fastmomonthego158
    fastmomonthego158 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding doesn't pp up as an option for me I wonder if it is because I am on the mobile? I wonder how many calories it would be for my teething 13 month old that has practically been latched on all day lol. Even with out teething we still nurse 6 times a day
  • Gabriellagorey
    Gabriellagorey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hm ya the breastfeeding option it adding on cals to my food diary not subtracting them. Maybe I just need more sleep lol.
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I wonder what it is if you don't EBF. I have to supplement with formula. I can only pump around 4-7 ounces total (for the day) while at work and that's not enough for my 4 month old while at daycare. :( So she nurses around 3am, I pump around 9am, pump again around 2pm and she nurses on and off in the evening, usually falling asleep around 8:30pm. I'm assuming I don't burn nearly as many calories as the rest of you mamas.
  • misspublic
    misspublic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it breaks down to 10 calories burned per ounce. So, if you're exclusively pumping you can calculate calories burned using that measure.
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    smesche wrote: »
    I wonder what it is if you don't EBF. I have to supplement with formula. I can only pump around 4-7 ounces total (for the day) while at work and that's not enough for my 4 month old while at daycare. :( So she nurses around 3am, I pump around 9am, pump again around 2pm and she nurses on and off in the evening, usually falling asleep around 8:30pm. I'm assuming I don't burn nearly as many calories as the rest of you mamas.
    just monitor your supply, if you are restricted on your calories you may see a drop in supply or your energy levels

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    They took away the option to add breastfeeding calories through your food diary from what I read, so it has to be added through the exercise section.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Oh and I add 500 calories per day, I'm nursing a newborn currently.