What kind of fitness tracker should I get?

Options
loribashor
loribashor Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
What do you recommend and why? Fitbit? Jawbone? Do you track actual heart rate with yours?
I am researching and the choices are overwhelming! Help!

Replies

• readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like my Fitbit quite a bit. I have the flex and it seems to do a good job of accurately measuring my steps. The iPhone app is pretty good too.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like my Fitbit. I have a One. I only really use it to track steps. I like that it synchs with MFP, but I think most do.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit and have had one for just over 3 years now. I just recently upgraded from the Flex to the Charge and am very happy with it. I love having a watch and step counter/sleep tracker all in one! To track your heart rate you would need to go with the Charge HR. My husband has the FB One as he works in concrete construction and the wrist bands are just not made to withstand that kind of abuse! I had some issues syncing a few weeks ago and found the Customer Service to be very nice to work with. Good luck with choosing!! Every time I turn around there seems to be a new product on the market!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use the Misfit Shine and I love it. It looks like a watch but I can also pop out the actual device and wear it with a necklace or clasp like a more traditional pedometer. It does not take my heart rate but my phone does that.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit One and really like it. Getting to 10000 steps is a target for me and I hit it more often because of the feedback from the fitbit.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love fitbit. I have the charge HR so it monitors heart rate as well and you wear like a bracelet. It has a nice clasp (some of their other ones don't). I love that it doubles as a watch and I can see my numbers right from the device. It syncs with my phone or computer. They have the clip ons too which I used to have but sometimes forgot to clip it on. I do find that the bracelet ones don't calculate if I am carrying stuff or pushing a grocery cart but for some reason sticking it in my pocket at the grocery store works. Just remember they don't calculate any incline unless you are actually climbing (stairs, hiking...but not treadmill) and if you bike, attaching it to your shoe works. Good luck. If you get a fitbit, feel free to add me public url: //www.fitbit.com/user/22ZJWY Anyone else can too.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Another with the Fitbit One. Have been wearing for years (since it came out, had others before it). It is not so much that it is motivating now as it is de-motivating (in a good way I suppose). I rarely, rarely, rarely forget it, but if I do I have no desire to get off my butt whatsoever. Its like - if no one is tracking my steps, they dont count... so no point in doing them :) I love numbers, and if I am getting ready for bed and anywhere to close to a "round" number (like 13000 or 950 or something even), I will wander up and down the hallways until I hit it :)

I also like the calorie estimation. Right or wrong, I like seeing what it thinks I burned at the end of the day - that is more my goal than the steps. I burn more calories running or fast walking 5k steps than I do slow walking 10k steps, so it gets me moving :)
  • rpyle111
    Options
    I played basketball last night and forgot to put the One in my pocket. About half way through, I realized I had forgotten to have it in my pocket and I was bummed! Aylajane is right, it is like the steps didn't count! I went and got it and felt better about the last two games.

Rob
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was running a 12 hour race... He had to be there at 430 am, and forgot his One... He had his wife go home and get it and find him wherever he was in the race. He regretted losing those steps the whole rest of the race :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin ViVo Fit. It has an optional heart rate monitor for use during workouts and the rest of the time it's a pedometer\activity monitor watch. Battery lasts 1 year so you don't ever really have to take it off. It also syncs with MFP for workouts AND steps\general activity.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great post, loved the feedback Thanks! ( looking to purchase one in the next few wks)
  • loribashor
    loribashor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank You all so much for the feedback. So.... I purchased a Polar F7 last week. I was attracted by the price (under $100), and the fact that it has a heart rate monitor. I got it home and discovered that the iphone and myfitnesspal synching is just way too challenging. Plus, the heart rate data comes from a chest strap and this is just not going to work for me. I returned it last night. After much research and feedback from all of you, I have decided on the Fitbit Charge HR. It is $150 which is not too much. It has heart rate tracking and the phone app and synching capabilities are simplistic for anyone. The added plus is that in June it will be available in the girlie color 'plum.' Therefore, this is my decision. I will get it for myself as a reward in June and I am setting a weight loss goal to achieve with this as a reward. Thanks again all :)
  • rpyle111
    Options
    Make sure to give us a review! I might look to upgrade from my One to the HR capable newer model.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I second Rob, please let us know your take one it!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have had a fitbit one for a couple years now. I had a cheap HRM without chest strap also. I bought a Polar FT7 HRM w chest strap about 1 1/2 years ago and love it. I only use it at gym workouts since it isn't made to wear all day long like the fit bits are. I still wear my fit bit though but for accurate cal burn count I use the FT7. I like it also cause it can be worn in the pool also. If I had to only buy one I would go with the FT7.

Good luck!
  • lioykavsg
    lioykavsg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit. I had trouble with the charging cable. Also, my dog was intent on getting it. Eventually, I slipped up and left it within reach. She got it and chewed it up. This time I got the Misfit Shine. It is Metal as opposed to plastic and it operates on a watch battery instead of recharging it everyday.