vitamins

Options
Kleona29
Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
I keep reading posts about post surgery vitamins. The only thing I was told was to get a good chewable multivitamin. I'm I missing something?

Replies

• CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Which procedure are you having?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If you are RNY you need multivitamin, calcium, B12, and possibly iron. Sleeves need multivitamin, and B12 (this is vital). They are seeing some sleevers with B12 deficiency. I was a Sleeve to RNY. I noticed pain in my toes, of all things, my Neurologist put me on B12 shots. Pain in toes was gone. He explained to me that anyone who gets their stomach cut can be deficient, affecting the central nervous system (hence the nerve pain in my toes), but still have normal B12 levels in their blood. I though I was being silly telling him about pain in my toes. I am glad I did. It would continue to get worse and possibly be permanent.
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Please be pro-active in your vitamins. It is a matter of life and death. Yes, death can occur from vitamin deficiencies. Do not settle for just a "good chewable multivitamin". Research vitamins that are recommended for bariatric patients as opposed to the standard chewables. Some people take Flintstones and other gummies. Waste of time. Might as well just eat candy. Bariatric vitamins may be a bit more costly, but your life and health are worth it. In the long run, vitamins are cheaper than being admitted to the hospital.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Uh, my nutritionist recommended Flintstones chewables as one of our options. I'd say talk to your surgical team about what's recommended for you, OP.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My surgeon has been well aware of my issues w/ swallowing pills so he said gummy was fine.
    I was needing a bigger dose of vitamin b so he prescribed me a jell like pill that I only had to endure 1 time per week vs taking something every day.
    When my prescription ran out he said to resume the gummies which are every day but at a smaller dosage.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your vitamin needs will vary depending on procedure, age, weight, gender, deficiencies, etc. The dr can probably give you the best recommendation but also do some research on your own. Personally, I'm taking a bariatric vitamin and a gummie multi that has a high does of B12. Six months from now I'll probably just take a general multi vitamin unless my doctor suggests otherwise.

The reality is when we're all able to "eat normal" we should be get most of our nutrients from fruits, vegetables, lean protein, beans, nuts, etc. I'm personally against taking any supplements or prescription pills unless absolutely needed. The SCIENCE behind taking supplements doesn't support the claims in most cases. And since I had the sleeve and not a bypass I should be able to get most of my nutrients from food eventually.

And if your doctor recommends getting a "good chewable" multi, then just find one you like and take it. And no Flinstones is NOT candy. They might not have as much nutrients as some other more expensive vitamins but all you have to do really is read the label. Especially if a nutritionist recommends it there's probably some nutritional value there.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My Bariatric Center recommends 2 Flinstones chewables with iron, plus a B12. I personlly do not believe a bariatrician, a nutritionist, and a bariatric surgeon would recommend these if they were not meeting our supplemental needs. My labs were done at 4 weeks out and all came back showing no deficiencies. I totally agree with following what your Dr tells you. We all have different needs.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a multivitamin (I just switched from a soft chewable to a pill), sublingual B-12, iron, liquor vitamin D and a liquid calcium magnesium citrate. My dr and NUT said no gummies. I've learned that almost every dr is different as far as instructions. You just need to follow what your dr and NUT tells you.
  • Kleona29
    Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm having the sleeve. Lots of different responses but most say follow your doctors orders. I'll talk to my NUT also. I think I'll do that but add some B12 and some vitamin D. I've had issues with vit d for some years now. Thanks for all the advice.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, be sure to ask your dr. I had sleeve, and I take a prenatal vitamin, vit D, and iron.
    I take pills now.
    When I was first out, I had a centrum chewable (silver) and liquid iron.
    I've never been told about B12. I'll ask next time.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    https://www1.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog

I personally use Bariatric Advantage. After a year out I may switch to a little less expensive brand but these work great for me! ;) Vitamins are so VERY important, it is a little disturbing to me that you were only told to get a good chewable multi! What about all the rest!?
    I would hate for you to find out how important this is the hard way.
    Talk to your surgeon & NUT like everyone has said, but know that yes your supplements are very, very important :)
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Y'all probably already know about this, but you might want to check into the Nascobal B-12 Bariatric Supplement System. For $25 a month (could be less) you will get the B-12 nasal spray as well as a month's supply of BariActiv Multivitamin, BariActiv Calcium + D3 & Magnesium, and BariActiv Iron + Vitamin C. Enrollment in the program also includes: Free shipping & handling, Auto-refill service, Insurance support services, when required, and other important product information. The website is here: nascobal.com/p/supplement-system There is an enrollment form you and your doctor will need to fill out.
  • Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Centrum makes a chewable.vitamin for women. Hard to find in stores. Finally found it on Amazon. The ones in stores I found did not have iron
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I take the Bariatric Fusion chewable multivitamin four times a day and it has everything I need in it except B12, which I also take. It's a bit pricier than a regular multivitamin, but I figured I'm still saving money by not having to take a bunch of other stuff along with it.