No Ketones in blood~ :/

Options
JAnn319
JAnn319 Posts: 28 Member
Hola! Been in Keto for 6 days now. Checked my blood for the 1rst time today.... and nothing....

My numbers: 15g Carbs/45g Prot. 107gFat/ Calories -1200
Been keeping up with my numbers very closely...

Any insights?

Replies

• Groitgard
    Options
    Some people seem to take a bit longer to adapt, I'd give it a few more days. What tester are you using? Also make sure there aren't hidden carbs sneaking in. I realized the chewing gum and drink powder I was using added up to an extra 5-10g carbs a day as I had disregarded them.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 'in Keto" from a multi week point up to the last 6 days? Even if your've been lowering carbs <50 or<20 for 6 just days it takes women longer, and 30 days has been mentioned as 'average', being older complicates it more, & us over 60 have to be most patient.
  • JAnn319
    JAnn319 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OH! Thanks! Didnt know 30 days is the average. just learned I have Hypochloridia!! I believe this is the main culrpit of becoming Ketogenic
  • laniereed1717
    laniereed1717 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try some MCT oil. That will help. I use the upgraded Brain fuel MCT. I purchase it from Bulletproof/Dave Aspey's website on line. This product does not cause me gastro problems. It always kicks me into deeper ketosis or back in ketosis when my carb count went a little high. It is almost within a couple of hours that I can see a deeper purple in the urine sticks.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Did you measure blood glucose as well ? If mine is elevated the ketones tend to zero.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Did you measure blood glucose as well ? If mine is elevated the ketones tend to zero.

Me too. I'm T2 and high glucose and good ketone readings are mutually exclusive for me. Fwiw it take me 4-5 weeks to fully adapt. I'm female, 47 with autoimmune issues.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Up your calories with fat is my suggestion. 1200 cals is going to stall you out eventually because your body thinks it's starving and release leptin which will hold on to your fat stores to deal with the starvation.

It's all about hormones and how we manipulate them. Also check your blood glucose. You ideally want ketones 0.5 and up AND glucose below 4.4mmol to be optimally Keto adapted.

I eat a surplus (at least +25%) every day and I lose when my morning blood glucose is below 5.0mmol. Above 5.0 and I tend to gain a little. Stress and sleep is often the key issue in Keto adaptation. Food not so much :)