Bulletproof coffee recipe?

Options
jerryellis63012
jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I've tried searching in MFP, but all I get is allot of grumpy carb eaters saying stay away from it, so I thought I'd ask here...What is the recipe and best way to make it?

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It's quite individual, there's an official recipe somewhere online from the "creator". I like this variation:

2 tbsps coconut oil
    2 tbsps half and half or heavy cream
    Coffee to fill the cup I happen to be using

Sometimes I'll sub butter for half or all of the oil, if it's a replacement for dinner or lunch, 2 tbsps of each.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    1 tbs grass fed beef, butter Kerrygold
    1 tbs coconut oil refined Lou Anna
    1 package Stevia
    1 tbs heavy whipping cream
    Oh ya.... Coffee
    Put them together and whip with a stick mixer.

Change up... Use Torianni raspberry sugar free syrup instead of Stevia.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I put 2 Tbsp unsalted butter and 1 Tbsp MCT oil ( Alpha supreme) into a medium sized jar, then use my immersion blender to blend as I pour hot coffee into the jar. It makes me a large cup of coffee and keeps me happy for hours.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    Is the coconut oil a solid before you put in coffee, or do they sell liquid form? Thanks for the responses!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hi. I love the stuff, but mentally refer to it as "butter coffee" because Asprey is a ridiculous person, and his naming is cheesy as hell.

My variant:
    1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil (not both - that's too oily, IMO)
    3 packets sweetener
    1/2 cup milk
    coffee

In a mug. Stir lazily until fat has mixed in and then drink.

You can also do the same thing with Chocolate Quik powder, hold the coffee, and it works just as well. In a typical day, I'll have cup each of coffee and chocolate, each with one type of fat.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    They do sell it in a liquid. I buy a few different coconut oils, the solid kind for baking/cooking, and the liquid kind (MCT oil - Medium Chain Triglycerides) for my coffee. I think you could put any coconut oil in. I also like coconut manna just to eat.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    MCT oil is liquid, and coconut oil is liquid above 76 degrees or so.

The original BPC recipe is just unsalted grass-fed butter and MCT oil -- no sweetener or cream.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Any coconut oil will do, I just use the same stuff I cook with, solid.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have decaf because of the fake energy that caffeine produces from adrenal stress and cortisol.

Mine is 1tbsp coconut oil, 1tbsp MCT, 2tbsp cream (unthickened! Carrageenan is inflamatory!)
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Is the coconut oil a solid before you put in coffee, or do they sell liquid form? Thanks for the responses!

It depends on how cold your place is :) Mine started to go solid now winter is approaching. It was liquid before that.
  • cinhen1959
    cinhen1959 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    New to the group, so forgive me but is this coffee lower carb than sugar free creamer? What's the scoop?
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    FXOjafar wrote: »
    I have decaf because of the fake energy that caffeine produces from adrenal stress and cortisol.

Mine is 1tbsp coconut oil, 1tbsp MCT, 2tbsp cream (unthickened! Carrageenan is inflamatory!)
    Where do you find cream with no Carrageenan?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cinhen1959 wrote: »
    New to the group, so forgive me but is this coffee lower carb than sugar free creamer? What's the scoop?
    If just adding butter/oil, then yes. If adding HWC/coconut milk, it depends.

Some options:
    http://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/
    http://www.toxinless.com/heavy-cream

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

Kalona is the only brand I can get that doesn't have carrageenan. Natural Grocers is the only store near me that carries it.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have a pod machine. I put 20g butter and 20g coconut oil into a cup of black coffee (well, into a plastic container big enough), blend with a stick blender until frothy, and pour into a cup or my travel mug. I have one every morning. No cream, no artificial sweeteners.

I also have a couple of coffees during the day, and use 15g butter blended in, instead of cream or milk. No hidden carbs, and still plenty creamy and satisfying. Don't knock it until you try it. I've even got my other half trained now to do the whole butter thing for me :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Try checking the ingredient list on the side of the carton to see what's really in the cream, also look at the nutrition label for the carb count.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Blend it!
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options

I prefer my cream to have 1 ingredient, too: cream. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so...I've seen "heavy cream" with carageenan, sodium citrate, and even milk added to it.

In Austin TX, I found it at Trader Joe's and at Wheatsville (sometimes Whole Foods). Trader Joe's carries a naturally thick and wonderful organic heavy whipping cream with no additives. I feel like I'm eating ice cream when I lick it off the measuring spoon. Wheatsville and the local Whole Foods both carry a line of dairy products from a local dairy farm called Mill-King. Their heavy cream, although still pure, is much thinner than the one from TJs, and the nutritional info is much lower than TJs.

In Kansas City MO, I DID NOT find my usual pure cream at the Trader Joe's there. I did, however, find a cute little red and white carton from Anderson Erickson Dairy that came in very small, "normal", and large carton sizes. That particular dairy is based in Iowa, and the area they serve is fairly small. I found their products at the normal local grocery store (Marsh's Unfresh...er, Sunfresh).

With this information in mind, my suggestion would be to investigate the possibility of there being a dairy farm that services your area, and try to find stores that carry their products. A good start would be any sort of natural foods or co-op type place.

-T.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do you prefer any particular kind of coffee? should it be strong?
    when i went to buy coconut oil i noticed that some was for medium heat and some for medium high heat. Is one better than the other?
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »

I prefer my cream to have 1 ingredient, too: cream. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so...I've seen "heavy cream" with carageenan, sodium citrate, and even milk added to it.

In Austin TX, I found it at Trader Joe's and at Wheatsville (sometimes Whole Foods). Trader Joe's carries a naturally thick and wonderful organic heavy whipping cream with no additives. I feel like I'm eating ice cream when I lick it off the measuring spoon. Wheatsville and the local Whole Foods both carry a line of dairy products from a local dairy farm called Mill-King. Their heavy cream, although still pure, is much thinner than the one from TJs, and the nutritional info is much lower than TJs.

In Kansas City MO, I DID NOT find my usual pure cream at the Trader Joe's there. I did, however, find a cute little red and white carton from Anderson Erickson Dairy that came in very small, "normal", and large carton sizes. That particular dairy is based in Iowa, and the area they serve is fairly small. I found their products at the normal local grocery store (Marsh's Unfresh...er, Sunfresh).

With this information in mind, my suggestion would be to investigate the possibility of there being a dairy farm that services your area, and try to find stores that carry their products. A good start would be any sort of natural foods or co-op type place.

-T.

Great advice, I will check all of that out!