Hiking/Backpacking

Options
PurpleYFronts
PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
I'm hoping to set off on a couple of 2 - 3 day hikes this spring in order to get myself back into the way of hiking. Ultimately I'm seeking to do longer treks up to 7 - 10 days, hopefully within the next 12 - 24 months. I haven't slept under the stars for a long time so really excited about getting back into the great outdoors and fending for myself :D

Are any of you hardened backpackers who would have some personal and up-to-date advice on equipment, essential packing lists, lightweight tents and sleeping bags, cooking products, footwear etc. Ideally it would be stuff you have tried and tested and can vouch for, at least advise on whether its fit-for-purpose and hardwearing. I'm not over concerned with travelling Ultralight but would be keen to keep the pack weight manageable and comfortable.

Any advice on routes (I'm in the UK/EU) you have tried anywhere in the world or stories you have to share would also be most welcome!

Im currently reading 'The Backpackers Handbook' by Chris Townsend which is excellent, though slightly dated in terms of current equipment.

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Ray Jardine has some interesting books and ideas http://www.rayjardine.com/

I used his basic tarp design for my plastic version. Not as nice as silnylon but cheap fine for a short trip... probably several.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    nw1yt0wlnt1h.jpg
    Basic look of my light tarp41i5xz0ldmdg.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Backpacker's latest issue had the 2015 gear reviews. I'm not sure if you get that magazine in Europe, but you can always look at gear information at backpacker.com
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'll add that I use different gear depending on where I'm going and when. I am not going to take my North Face Inferno -20F bag out in the summer in the midwest US.

I do, however, only have 1 "tent" (bivy) that I use year-round (it's a 4-season). I don't take a bivy to be "ultralight," but since I am accustomed to going solo and I don't need a lot of space to sleep, it just makes sense. If I wanted to go lighter, I could skip the pole. But I never feel like I need to do that. I use the Outdoor Research Alpine bivy, which is 4-season, includes a pole (to keep the top from your face and prevent condensation from touching your face), and has loops for stakes (which are not always needed, but are useful in windy conditions). For a groundcloth, I cut a piece of building wrap to fit underneath it.

For cooking, I've been out with someone using a Jetboil, and I like the speed and efficiency. However, I don't like disposable fuel cans. I use an MSR Dragonfly, which can use several different fuel types and connects to a refillable container.

For water, I'm thinking about getting a Steripen. I've seen it in use and I'm told that it works (of course you can't see whether there is bacteria or not), but you still have to filter larger items from the water first (like sand and algae and such). I carry a Camelbak reservoir and I switch to an insulated tube when it is cold. Even then, the reservoir itself tends to freeze up a bit, but there is always a bit of liquid water in the tube. So when it is real cold out, I can't drink water very fast, but I can sip at least.

ETA: I'm not a long-term hiker (though I would like to if I can ever find time). I've not been out for more than a few days at a time.
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into hammock camping? I've been hammock camping for a couple years now. I will NEVER go back to a tent. Hammocks lighten your load and they get you up off the ground out of the water, mud, bugs and such.

Check out this video series shows the basics https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8 I'm sure you also find it quite entertaining.

• PurpleYFronts
    Options
    Watched some of the videos, that guys insane but funny:) Not so sure if hammock camping is suitable for me as there are very few trees in the mountains near me. Something I will look into though for the future!
  • PurpleYFronts
    Options
    nw1yt0wlnt1h.jpg
    Basic look of my light tarp41i5xz0ldmdg.jpg
    That's pretty ingenious and a good cheap, light option.
  • Headtothemountains
    Headtothemountains Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK/EUR.... get thyself to Iceland!! In all reality, you have a number of great places to go wander in the hills, but for some stunning scenery without the loads of people you oft run into in places like the Dolomites (I mean, still worth it of course) I would highly recommend Iceland.
    As for gear.... I've bought all mine in the States so I don't know how much of it crosses over, but if you're looking to do some longer hikes in more inclement weather I would suggest getting a light-weight tent. Nemo, Big Agnes, MSR all making some great stuff currently, but I'm not sure what you have access to. As for other gear... get a mid temp synthetic sleeping bag, while down is wonderful, if you're just getting back into it and will be in a variety of situations a synthetic is a cheaper choice and better if it's going to be wet. I'd go for something rated around -6, yeah, sure it's a bit warm for summer, but for the corner seasons when traveling is cheaper and there are fewer tourists, it's a good option. It's easier to cool down than to warm up. Mountain Hardwear is a good brand for cheaper but quality in the States. Alternatively, buy yourself a less warm bag and get a silk liner to pump up the heat. I have one from Sea-to-Summit that allows me to get away with less bag (about a 9 degree difference. Steripens are great, but once more, it depends where you go. There are a lot of lighweight water filters/pumps out there now (I have an MSR and an offbrand one), and I like the flexibility of being to get water anywhere, whereas the Steripens require less grungy water (unless you like extra fiber I suppose). A small stove is mighty enough, I have one that only cost $50 US dollars, and it's been working for years, packs down to a miniscule amount. Aluminum will serve you well enough for beginning, if you really are watching weight watch for sales on Titanium cookware. Buy a plastic mug with a coffee press incorporated, they're light and a delight in the backcountry. Infinitely tastier coffee than any of the instant mixes. Or, of course, tea is the most wonderful thing as well.

Gearwise.... if you're planning on 7-10 day trips but aren't particularily watching weight, I'd aim for a 65-70 liter pack. Big enough that you can pit everything, but small enough to keep you from bringing your entire household with.

Also, the Gregory Baltero has been winning awards for years for men, I have a number of hiking partners who use it and they love it.

So. That's a lot of text. Enjoy!!

Source: Gets paid to backpack in summer and likes to travel.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Some inspirational reading is "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher. Get the latest edition for the most up to date gear recommendations. Also "The Man Who Walked Through Time" by Colin Fletcher.

"Backpacker" magazine is great for the latest information and gear recommendations.
  • PurpleYFronts
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Many thanks for the responses. I've been gathering up a few bits and pieces to get myself underway. I opted for a Trangia Triangle and spirit burner as my cooker of choice. Its lightweight and functional for my needs at this time.
    trangia-triangle-z.jpg
    I went for a Vango Ultralite 900 sleeping bag mainly due to online reviews and a great offer on the price. Its 3-4 season and 1500g which is good for the heat it gives.35451-120614104549667776292.jpg
    I have picked up a tent to get me on the road fairly sharpish. This little tent though described as 2 man, probably better suits one man and his bag:) Excellent value and great reviews, Vango Banshee 200
    banshee-200-2014.jpg
    I picked up a new backpack as my old one was pretty much done in. Opted for a Berghaus Torridon 65 which should cover most of my needs. Unfortunately the Gregory Baltaro is mostly in the US as it looked great. This one will do the job for now however:)
    611102431010.jpg
    I'm still working on the other bits and pieces, but they will have to wait until I get paid again as its an expensive but highly exciting business going outdoors :D
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Once my brother and I decided to do backpacking we just started looking out for stuff on sale/closeout and started picking up stuff slowly. We've done one trip. I'm sure we'll change some of our gear after we do another.