Keto forever?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else was planning on reintroducing carbs in the form of grains once they reach their goal weight?
I love being low carb and don't have any cravings but I just wonder if it's sustainable forever (and ever).
I know I could up veg intake considerably to get more fibre, but I think once I get to my goal weight I'll try introduce at least one serving of grains a day...or am I just being brainwashed by the quinoa mafia?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11490006/Daily-bowl-of-quinoa-could-save-your-life-says-Harvard-University.html

Replies

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think you might be brainwashed by the quinoa mafia. Aside from that quinoa isn't a grain anyway. It's seeds. I would suggest checking out another group on here. LCD Low Carb Daily. Most of the keto-ers are over there as well. In their announcements section they have a list of really really great videos explaining why keto is a great long term (forever) WOE. However, everyone is different and you need to make the decision that feels right for you. The carb mafia also told us for decades that fat was bad and now we know they're wrong. But they were (and still are) very convincing. :smile:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

HTH
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh wow how had I not seen this before?! Thank you :D Also I have no idea how to even cook quinoa, but I feel society keeps pressuring me to eat it. I have quinoa guilt - nice to learn its a seed though.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm keto for the neurological and metabolic benefits, not weight loss, so I'm planning on doing it for life unless compelling new research would indicate otherwise.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh wow how had I not seen this before?! Thank you :D Also I have no idea how to even cook quinoa, but I feel society keeps pressuring me to eat it. I have quinoa guilt - nice to learn its a seed though.

Don't be pressured. Unless its cooked in orange juice or something the stuff is nasty. I ate it when I was vegetarian, barely palatable.

ETA: I'm also in it for neurological benefits, and plan to stay this way through my future pregnancys. So, it's definitely doable long term.
  • WisconsinFlyAnglerGirl
    Options

kirkor wrote: »
    I'm keto for the neurological and metabolic benefits, not weight loss, so I'm planning on doing it for life unless compelling new research would indicate otherwise.

Ditto. Considering keto's amazing effect on my depression, I don't think I'll quit even after I've lost the weight.

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I actually quite enjoy quinoa. I ate it as often as the budget would allow. But, it was best with LOTS of butter, lol. Go figure. If you're curious, go ahead and try it. You cook it like rice. But you can google all that if you so desire. :)
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I plan on eating low carb for life. Exactly what that will look like might evolve over time, but I don't forsee making any huge changes on a regular basis to the way I am eating now.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Don't be pressured. Unless its cooked in orange juice or something the stuff is nasty. I ate it when I was vegetarian, barely palatable.

ETA: I'm also in it for neurological benefits, and plan to stay this way through my future pregnancys. So, it's definitely doable long term.

One of my old jobs actually had a chef that made our lunches (she was the wife of one of the other employees, so it was a pretty sweet deal all around), and she rotated quinoa in every so often. I'm not sure how she cooked it, but it was pretty good. I'm not a fan of it in general, but it was okay for a once in a while thing. Like all grains, it by itself is pretty tasteless, though.

And to stay entirely on topic -- yes, it's sustainable for life. Like some of the others, I do it for the neurological and other health benefits, so I have no intention of bringing grains back into my life. Me and grains don't mix, anyway, as they're a big cause for inflammation in my system.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Keto forever!!! I will up my carbs to a max of 50, but am otherwise staying just as I'm eating now. No starchies! I really like how I eat. It's tasty, and I'm super healthy. It's a no brainer.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    I actually quite enjoy quinoa. I ate it as often as the budget would allow. But, it was best with LOTS of butter, lol. Go figure. If you're curious, go ahead and try it. You cook it like rice. But you can google all that if you so desire. :)

I love quinoa! Cooked in some beef broth or bullion and then slathered in butter YUM! Too high for my carb counts most days but I do enjoy it. Quinoa stuffed bell peppers used to be one of our favorite dinners.

And yes, I plan on sticking to this for life, for health reasons and for the way it makes me feel.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Lifer here, too. :-)
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Lets see, my family has all got diabetes (9 out of 11 of my Dads generation). Carbs cause blood sugar to be all over the place. They also cause mood issues, pain and inflammation etc.

Will I go back to eating carbs after I lose weight? No. To me restricting carbs is equal in long term health benefits to quitting smoking.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Keto until I've reached a weight I'm happy with. Then I'll eat low carb the rest of my life. Probably increase my carb intake to 50-75g a day and see how I feel. I'll just add in more root vegetables, fruit, etc. Never going back to eating sugar as it makes my stomach hurt for days if I do eat the stuff.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Keto4life. The health benefits go way beyond mere weight loss. Losing weight is just a side effect :)
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been low carbing for well over a decade, even when I wasn't losing weight, and I have no plans on stopping if/when I reach goal. I'll most likely up my carbs to a maintenance level, and if history tells true, it will most likely still be a ketogenic diet.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Sticking with it. Depression is going away, joints aren't killing me, digestive system isn't killing me, I have energy, hubby is happy (because BACON...even if he isn't doing LC with me right now). I might end up adding a bit more fruit during the summer, or a bit more pumpkin in the winter, but overall, still keeping the carbs pretty low.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Keto for now, but maybe something of a slightly more Paleo/Primal flavor once I get to my desired weight. Regardless, I will always be low carb and probably under 50g a day, since I'm diabetic.

By the way, regarding Quinoa, it isn't a keto-friendly food in any way, shape, or form. It has 34 net carbs per cup!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    If you do try it...whatever you do, rinse it well before you cook it or....ick.