Having a Hard Time Getting to 1200

Options
Hi all -

I'm 5 foot and 122.8 pounds. I definitely used to over eat. So I started dieting and trying to stay as close to 1200 as I could. Once I had done that for about one week, I started to lose my appetite. I'm now down to some days eating as little as 500 - 700 calories in one day and not being hungry at all. I realize this is not healthy or good for me and I try to force myself to eat, but sometimes the thought of food turns my stomach. Other days, I'll eat 1300 calories and have it be no big deal.

When I was younger I used to have this problem also. Where I would barely eat anything at each meal, but would eat 3 square meals throughout the day. Do you all have any suggestions on ways I could make myself hungry again, without compromising my weight loss goals? How many calories are you all eating per day and what kind of exercise do you do in order to eat that? What are some good high calorie foods (besides avocados since I already eat those/know about them)?

I sometimes eat really healthy foods and sometimes eat fast food. I exercise at least 3x a week including cardio and weight lifting (but nothing super crazy as I've just started working out in general). Right now, I'm losing inches, not weight. My weight has stayed at 122.8 for the past 3 weeks. Please no negativity as I'm not doing this on purpose and really want to change it. Thanks.

Replies

• birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Nuts, avocado, peanut butter, olive oil. Easy to add them in and they are full of good fats. Also eat full fat versions of foods instead of low fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe the 5:2 diet or some other kind of intermittent fasting will be right for you? Then you'll work up an appetite a lot easier but still be able to keep the total calories for the week down.
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions before offering advice. What is your average carb to protein ratio? What weight are you trying to get to?
  • 64mustangsue
    64mustangsue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's OK to eat several small meals a day, just kept it healthy. Fast food messes with my system so I avoid it like the plague. I am 5' 1/2" (yes I count the 1/2", worked hard for that, LOL). I have been able to maintain my goal weight of 102 lbs for 3 years now. )Lost 40 lbs) I rarely eat 1200. I stay closer to 1000. I am also 50 so you know old and slow. I eat a lot of fresh fruit. I keep them at work and basically graze on them all day and then have a true full meal in the evening with the family. I feel sluggish and way to full if I eat 3 full meals.

Since you are working out, losing inches a lot of times comes before the scale shows anything. The scale will follow. The main thing I would try to do is fill up on the healthy foods and don't stress the number of calories.