I need advice! what's your daily calorie intake?

Options
2»

Replies

• peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    5'0" and eating 1200/day. But I have an active job. I tend to think MFP recommended calories is a little high, but maybe that is just me.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Im at 1392. I also low carb, and find myself usually around 1100-1200.
  • 64mustangsue
    64mustangsue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 50 yrs old, 5' 1/2" 102 lbs MFP has me at 1230 for maintenance. If I eat that much every day I gain. I stay between 1000 & 1100. Been staying the same weight for 3 yrs that way.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    5'1" and at 165lbs. MFP sets me at 1200 to lose 1 lb per week, but anything under 1650 is a win.
  • woodybush
    woodybush Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and 127lbs and was given 1200 calories. I always find myself starving the day after a hard workout so I usually eat back the extra calories then.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I go by what I did in my first diet. When I decided then to do a diet, I first read an article on How Things Work or something like that. It said you would burn 12 times your weight every day if you laid in bed and didn't move. But of course, we get up and move. And it takes 3500 calories burned to lose a pound. So I set my goal at 12 x my target weight. At the time that was 110 so 1320. This time around my goal is 125 so my calorie budget is 1500/day.

Since my present weight is 145, laying in bed all day would get me 1740 calories burned. So I start with that, subtract what I did eat, and that's my calorie intake deficit. So, say I do eat just 1500 calories, I'm still burning at least 240 calories even when I'm just sitting at my desk. But of course, I do more than that, so I count those calories burned as well. I do this all in a spreadsheet. I add my intake deficit and my calories burned and if say the total is 1750, then I can expect to lose .5 pounds. But of course, I know that hormones can cause fluctuations so reality is not going to be as exact as that spreadsheet. But I was surprised that last time (lost 30 pounds in 7 months this way), how often the spreadsheet was so close to right.

I'm somewhat OC so using my OC tendencies as tools helps me in this endeavor.

So long story short, depending on how much you want to lose, set a target and multiply it by 12. If you're wanting to lose a LOT, I would recommend stepping down with subgoals.

Gabinka
  • Dinah2
    Dinah2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 5'1' and I try to stay at around 1200 calories a day except on weekends when I usually go over. But I brisk walk on the dreadmill 5 days a week, and the total gym 3 days a week. I take weekends off of exercise but try to get golf in. I worked on putting in a garden last week and earned a lot of extra calories. I have lost 13 pounds so far in 7 weeks so I guess this is working out for me. I am on the WW program and they give you extra points for exercise and extra weekly points that has helped me with the old all or nothing approach I used to be on.
  • toniangu
    toniangu Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    5'1" and started at 155. Down to 149 after 40 days. During the weekdays, 1200 is doable for me and I'm totally okay eating the same meals pretty much everyday during the week (less thinking, fewer groceries to manage). Greek yogurt and sweet potato for breakfast, baby kale and chicken or fish salad for lunch, and chicken or fish + some sort of veggie for dinner. If I feel the need to snack, I'll have some fruit usually. I also drink a lot of coffee during the week which I think helps keep the grumblies away. Weekends, I'll change it up and eat whatever, but I usually do one big 6-8mile hike.
  • angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    very interesting read. Thanks everyone for sharing their info. looks like a range of 1000 to 1800 between y'all.

My two cents: I have found that when I'm on 1200, the weight loss is too slow and very intermittent with some gains in there to really piss me off. I'm 5'-2.5". I hit my all time high weight in June (170.4) which puts my BMI at 30. which means I was obese! crap. So a reached out to my doctor/endocrinologist to help me (i'm hypothyroid) and I'm now on a doctor monitored VLCD (very low calorie diet). I'm getting all my vit/minerals/macros from shakes. Yes the very controversial total meal replacement diet. It's not for everyone that's for sure. But from my humble experience...it's the only way that has worked for me since becoming hypothyroid.
    My daily calorie intake ranges from 500 - 700. and my weight loss per week is 1.5 to 2.5 pounds.
    my body is not in starvation mode, it is in Ketosis. which rocks. I'm not hungry and I have energy for the first time in 3 years! Everything my thyroid has ruined for me, is coming back. My moods are better, I'm sleeping better, my skin is glowing, my hair is staying ON my head! and pounds are finally coming off.

Again I want to say, that I know a LOT of people are dead set against losing weight fast, or going on VLCD, and I respect your opinions, but from my personal experience, this has been the BEST treatment for me as of yet.