protein

Options
juanita1963
juanita1963 Posts: 25 Member
Getting my eating under control is going pretty good so far. I've never been a big meat eater, but now that I'm trying to incorporate healthier foods into my meals, what's a way for me to get my protein without meat? I can do some fish or chicken but not a big fan of too much more.

Replies

• rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy, fish, eggs, and seeds. I don't end of eating as much protein as my doctor suggests, but it is pretty high. I only eat meat 2-3 times a week. Sardines or tuna on a salad are my go-to lunch. Breakfast is usually yogurt or cottage cheese with a little bit of granola and/or fruit. Greek yogurt has tons of protein, and some brands even have elevated levels and are advertised as high protein. If I have a snack, I try to have a little cheese or some almonds instead of carbs.

For me, more protein and less carbs really helps stabilize my blood sugar. My energy and moods are better when I get the right balance, and I have fewer incidents of hitting the candy jar or other unplanned eating.
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of eggs - keeping some hard boiled in the fridge to put on a salad is a great way to get protein in a meal. I also regularly eat sardines but I have to mush the bejebus out of them so I can't really tell what they are anymore or I can't eat them. I was vegan for a few years up until recently so I have a hard time sometimes with the look of animal protein and I'm better off mixing anything up with a bunch of veggies so I don't just have a slab of flesh on my plate. Its hard to admit sometimes but do feel better - more sated and more mentally clear - when I have animal protein in my diet.