Nausea with multivitamins?

Options
cheekitty
cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
I have the Bariatric Advantage Essential Multi chewable and I've tried taking them with food, without food... and I get intensely nauseous as soon as I swallow. It's the only time I ever feel nausea, and it's intense enough that I have to get up and go to the bathroom or keep a basin- because each time, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep it down.

I'm planning on calling my doctor's office tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that problem. I chew my multi down to nothing take a sip of water right after.
  • cheekitty
    Options
    I wonder if taking two of them back to back is too much? I have no issues with my regular medication. I'll try just one tomorrow and see if that helps. Blee!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I take capsules and still split the dose into two separate times a day. Hope that helps! Nausea is no fun!
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Karlotta - what brand of capsules do you use?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Bariatric Advantage. Love them
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Very easy on the pouch.
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    Thanks Karlotta! And they're the capsules, not the chewable?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Capsules. I don't think I could stand chewable multivitamins! Lol!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Bariatric Advantage, Multi Formula Capsules. I have the 540 count bottle now and they still do well, but the smaller count bottle had smaller size capsules (not making this up, lol!), though the bottles list same ingredients and ratios. This has no iron since I have had history of elevated iron. Otherwise is a full multivitamin.
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    Thank you! I ordered the exact same ones - Bariatric Advantage - and have been hoping to start taking them. (I despise the chewables!) I was worried because I wasn't that many weeks out from surgery and they're pretty big. But I'm at five months now so I think I will give them a try.
  • cheekitty
    Options
    I did find that flinstones go down much easier, so I'll wait a few more weeks and try the BA ones - I spent too much money on them to let them go to waste. (I have no problems with the calcium citrate chewables, go figure)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    The BA calcium chewables are the only chewable I can tolerate. The Flintstones are too sweet tasting to me. I have been taking the capsules since immediately post op without any problems and was never told not to take them.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem - the iron in the multivitamins makes me so nauseous I'm positive it's going to make me vomit. So now I take Multi-vitamins for men or for seniors that has no-or-less iron in it.
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    Just started taking the BA Multivitamin capsules this week. Although they are big, they go down without a problem. I have started adding them to my food diary - one at breakfast, one at lunch, and one at dinner, along with a calcium chew each time. I finally feel on track with my vitamins. I was doing the Bariatric Fusion chewables and they were so awful to me that I was starting to get bad about taking them. It takes time to find what works for you, I guess.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Be sure it doesn't have iron in the multi. Taking calcium at the same time will block absorption of them. Otherwise, carry on, lol! Glad they are good for you too!
  • Laurac727
    Laurac727 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am using the celebrate bariatric brand and yes at times light nausea after but I tend to get past it so far. But yes I did notice it
  • cheekitty
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weird, I had all sorts of problems with the Bariatric Advantage, which has no iron, and no issues with the Flintstones, which has 18mg. (And I wish I had noticed the BA had no iron before I bought them)
  • lioykavsg
    lioykavsg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with the Celebrate Bariatric Chewables and the Calcium Citrate chewables. I was using JuicePlus vitamins prior and was told just to continue those until I can start tolerating the Bariatric ones.
  • Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes. Centrum for women puts out a chewable vitamin. Hard to find in stores. I found it on amazon. Make sure you get the women's and not the seniors. Seniors does not have iron.
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    Karlotta - thank you! They do have iron and I was doing the calcium at the same time! Do you happen to know how long you have to wait in between?