To us "old timers"

Options
2»

Replies

• readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think my issue with this comes from a lifetime of not having enough in a lot of areas and trying to get all that I could. I remember one time when my mother and I were both doing Weight Watchers and we were having yogurts for breakfast my mom made a point of reminding me to lick the lid of the yogurt because "we were counting the whole thing in our points so we had better eat it all," as if our calories were money that we'd spent and shouldn't be wasted. I find myself still thinking like that sometimes now. Throwing away a bite or two is hard for me because I feel like I'm owed it in my calories. Something to be mindful of for me!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. It is true for me also, if I only have a couple of bites left I think it is no biggie eating them. Wrong! Trying to break the habit of cleaning my plate has become a bit of a problem as of late. Going to try loading my plate up and see what happens, thanks for the suggestion jrnguyen. Also throwing those last few bites out was considered wasteful and I still have that mentality at times. I also have to learn to wait for the full signal before I continue to eat. Lots of great reminders and alerts. "Since I've had years of over-eating I guess it's going to take years to un-do that... " love that statement. I think it will take the pressure off to have to do everything on target all the time. I think I will also try putting my fork down between bites again like I did when I first came out of surgery!
    Here's to us!!! <3
  • Ilovenycxo
    Options
    I am about 10 months out and i have lost 87 pounds, but I still need to loose more. It seems like I can eat a lot these days and it scares me. I try my best to stick to protein and veggies and limit the amount of food i eat at each meal, but I use to get so full after 2 oz of chicken and now I can eat about 4oz before I start to feel anything and I started snacking a little. I'm surprised how much I can eat at this point. Is this normal?
    Please let me know the kind of quantities is typical.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ilovenycxo wrote: »
    I am about 10 months out and i have lost 87 pounds, but I still need to loose more. It seems like I can eat a lot these days and it scares me. I try my best to stick to protein and veggies and limit the amount of food i eat at each meal, but I use to get so full after 2 oz of chicken and now I can eat about 4oz before I start to feel anything and I started snacking a little. I'm surprised how much I can eat at this point. Is this normal?
    Please let me know the kind of quantities is typical.

Yes this is normal, your weight loss will slow down too. Don't worry about this phase just keep doing what you have been. For most all of us 1000 to 1200 calories is way below body needs. WLS has spoiled us with rapid weight loss and when we get back to normal, were complaining. Stalling is normal and building muscles can cause increase in weight. Training and exchanging fat for muscles is a good thing.

Randy
  • asia1967
    Options
    Yep what Randy said. :D
    P.S. did the psychologist have any comment on the topic?
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    Is it possible your body still needs something? Sounds like your doing a great job of getting your liquids and proteins. Are you okay with vitamin, vegetable and fruit nutrition?

And here's an odd one, I know fat has a lot of calories, but it's gotten a bad rap and people try to avoid it. We forget that we need it to absorb vitamins. For me often a spoonful of a "good" fat (like peanut butter or something cooked in olive oil or a nice salad dressing) provide that perfect extra bit of satisfaction. Sometimes the body's hints are very subtle.
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just get a dog and you can give him/ her your leftovers...my doggy has never been happier now that I can't finish my food!! Lol
  • sarimc01
    sarimc01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    All great comments here! Thanks!
    Also try a smaller plate size for those that are members of the clean your plate club. LOL.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    it is so wonderful when you finally realize that you can just put ANY food away when you are full. Maybe you will eat it later or maybe you will chuck it, you just aren't that obsessed anymore.
  • asia1967
    Options
    PaulaKro> Good thought, I love my fruit, so that is not an issue as I am aware. I have no misconception about fat and don't even bother tracking it. Thou I totally agree that my body is hinting about something. Now I just have to figure out the code. :)
  • asia1967
    Options
    jove102> I have a Rottweiler and she is fat enough with my husband letting her have a taste of everything. Mind you the neighbour's dog is looking a little under nourished. :)
  • asia1967
    Options
    Mangopickle. I like to think that the switch as been flipped in that regards for me. Weather or not it stay on, well time will tell as will my mind set toward it.