Clothing

jove102
jove102 Posts: 68 Member
i had my surgery in January and I've lost 40 pounds but I feel like I only went down like one size...I look in the mirror and think I look the same...has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Yes! You are not alone!! I was a tight 24 and am comfortable in a 22 now but it's getting baggy. I just went to the store and bought a 20 in my favorite work pant so I'm ready when the time comes but I don't think it'll be for a while. Hang in there. It'll happen.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    edited March 2015
    I know the feeling! I can wear size 16 jeans now (down from size 24 and almost can fit in a size 14) but the other day, I still ordered a size 3x blouse which ended up being too big. My mom had given me the same blouse in another color in a size xl but I still ordered up and thought I needed to. I look in the mirror and don't always see the changes.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Totally! It can be kind of confusing shopping and not knowing what sizes to grab, sometimes I look around to see if anyone is looking when I reach for a smaller size and wonder if they are thinking "keep wishing girl" lol Some days I can see that I'm smaller but other days I just feel like I still look like I did pre-surgery. You're not alone :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    You will find that the sizes come down slower at higher weights, but faster at lower weights... Ie it took 40 pounds to come down 1-2 sizes... When you get to say a 18, it might only take 20 pounds to get to a 16... By the time you get to an 8, it might only be 5-10 pounds to get to a 6, etc.

I went from a 20 to a 12 over about 45 pounds... But then I went from 14 to 6 with only 15 more pounds lost. A lot of that is because I was weight lifting for the last 15 pounds - I didnt lose a lot of pounds, but lost an incredible amount of inches due to muscle exchange for fat (I hit it hard!).

Lesson from me : Lift weights and ignore the scale :) You dont wear your weight or clothing size on the outside where others see... So all that matters is your shape - you need muscle for shape!
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    I started out at a size 20 and I'm six feet tall...so I don't even know what size I'm in but I can wear an xl as opposed to a xxl I've started yoga and gym time..I have an active job so I'm always moving and I will be playing sports all summer. So hopefully I get toned to the point I a in a lower size...and I can actually see the difference myself...
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Something I learned was that the difference between sizes goes down as you get into lower sizes. What I mean is that the difference between a size 6 and size 4 is like 5 lbs. the difference between size 18 and 16 is more like 15 lbs.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    I literally can change sizes over a couple days. I'm 4.5 months post op and I've hit another rapid weight loss period (after creeping along for a month). I dropped from a size 10 shorts to a size 8 shorts in two days. The 10's actually fall off without unzipping. So wait a few weeks/months and you will really notice the change.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    mae7365 wrote: »
    I literally can change sizes over a couple days. I'm 4.5 months post op and I've hit another rapid weight loss period (after creeping along for a month). I dropped from a size 10 shorts to a size 8 shorts in two days. The 10's actually fall off without unzipping. So wait a few weeks/months and you will really notice the change.

I hope I get there soon! I've been gaining and losing same 1.5lbs for the last 2 weeks. Did the same last month. Stuff is slowing down!

I also started at a 24, snug and felt it took a while before I needed a 22. Now, I'm in a 16, and some 14s fit. I do seem to drop sizes fasrer now. I just bought a size 12 dress that fit...but I need spanx, lol. I also found a M dress that floored me. Sizes vary so much between style and cut. My best friend is the thrift store.
  • thin2be2013
    thin2be2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Something I learned was that the difference between sizes goes down as you get into lower sizes. What I mean is that the difference between a size 6 and size 4 is like 5 lbs. the difference between size 18 and 16 is more like 15 lbs.
    This is so true...I never really thought about it this way but seeing it in writing it makes perfect sense. My dream size was always a size 8, so once I hit that size I bout alot of this size at the thrift stores but here lately they are getting baggy and I have only lost like 3 more pounds (staying in my maintenance 10 pound range) It's awesome but just difficult to wrap my head around it.... I started out at a size 24 pants that were so tight they rolled down my belly when I would sit down.
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    I am 5 1/2 months out and I just spoke with my husband about how when I look in the mirror I look the same. Although I know I am smaller because I went from a size 16 to 10, 45 lbs. I have been the same weight for a month and I can't seem to make the scale budge.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    imboswell wrote: »
    I am 5 1/2 months out and I just spoke with my husband about how when I look in the mirror I look the same. Although I know I am smaller because I went from a size 16 to 10, 45 lbs. I have been the same weight for a month and I can't seem to make the scale budge.
    Weigh your food. if you haven't lost wt for a month you have an intake problem. Eye balling or using measuring cups can be way off. also recheck the calorie count of your foods. I (amazingly) thought early on that sugar free coffee creamer was calorie free. soooo not calorie free!

• imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Thanks Mangopickle. I have really stuck to the diet for the last week and I have lost 2 lbs. My doctors office never had me weigh any food. They just told me to stick to low carb and exercise. Well I hadn't been that good with it since I was losing. Then it just stopped. But now that I am really doing what they told me it has started back up again. I guess I just couldn't see reality that I really do have to work at this.
  • raqdabells73
    raqdabells73 Posts: 15 Member
    I know this feeling all too well I have gone from a size 26/28 to 22/20 in pants and tops but to me when I look in the mirror, I still feel like I look the same even though people tell me I am thinner. I just do not see it.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Like another poster said, it doesn't feel like you are dropping sizes fast the higher you are, but when you get into 12's and under watch out. I was in size 12's for 30 days, that's it. Crazy! So you will see more drastic results coming just hang in there!