Running a half tomorrow, last minute tips?

Options
mamarundrc
mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
Tomorrow I will be running my 2nd half (1st in 3 years). I feel like I did good on my training considering the winter we had but I am wicked nervous! Any last minute tips or reminders?

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal to be nervous. In fact it's a good thing.

1) Start off sloooow
    2) Trust in your training
    3) Wear the same clothes and shoes you've been training in. Don't go buy a whole new fancy wardrobe for the race!
    4) Show up early to leave yourself enough time to check in, go to bathroom, do a light warm up, etc.
    5) Did I mention to start off slow!!!?? (Seriously, treat the first mile as a warm up. Don't let the excitement and adrenaline take over. Save that for the last couple miles.)
    6) Have fun!
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, start slow. Relax and enjoy it.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    It's completely normal to be nervous. In fact it's a good thing.

1) Start off sloooow
    2) Trust in your training
    3) Wear the same clothes and shoes you've been training in. Don't go buy a whole new fancy wardrobe for the race!
    4) Show up early to leave yourself enough time to check in, go to bathroom, do a light warm up, etc.
    5) Did I mention to start off slow!!!?? (Seriously, treat the first mile as a warm up. Don't let the excitement and adrenaline take over. Save that for the last couple miles.)
    6) Have fun!

+2

Oh did you forget, start off slow. Just make sure you have fun. Best wishes

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    That's going to be my hardest part when I do mine, starting slow
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Super timely advice thread... I head to my first half marathon in about 30 minutes. Start slow.... start slow.... start slow..... Got it!

mamarundrc - good luck!
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Heading out in 30 min!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    That's going to be my hardest part when I do mine, starting slow

Even on short field races I've found it a bit busy to start off particularly fast. Mind you I might just be being a bit cautious about being too far forward in the pack, hence being stuck behind people.