Starting Keto Tomorrow :) Newbie!

Options
ditsyblond17
ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
Hello ladies and Gents. I am planning on starting my low carb/ketogenic diet tomorrow. I have pre-diabetes and hypothyroidism. I have practically been begged by my doctor to lose weigh umpteen times, but I finally sought the emotional part of losing weight and now I think, "I'm ready."

I am truly looking forward to experiencing weight loss, but more importantly, less inflammation and back pain would be nice. I sound like I'm 65, but....I'm 25. I weigh 325 pounds. I am praying This is as easy as I am telling myself it can be.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me starting out? Would love to get to know everyone. Thanks for having me in the group :)

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey - I am sure you will do really well.
    -
    - My advice would be read as much as you can - I found keto clarity by jimmy moore helpful and readable. Lots of advice available on the internet too.
    -
    - Also, don't worry about weight loss the first week or so, just get used to cutting your carbs way down. The water weight you lose will probably mean you will see results on the scales anyway so I wouldn't worry about counting calories at this stage (if you ever need to - this is a contested point), just worry about keeping your carbs very low and your protein moderate.
    -
    - If you can measure ketones eg with a blood meter then do. Ketostix only really helpful at the start, but it is nice to see the sticks turn purple the first few weeks! otherwise use the flexible ketogenic website and enter your grams of carbs, protein and fat to check if you have a "ketogenic" day of eating.
    -
    - Don't beat yourself up if it takes a while for you to get used to this way of eating. it did for me.
    -
    - Look after yourself and good luck!
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    -
    - My advice would be read as much as you can - I found keto clarity by jimmy moore helpful and readable. Lots of advice available on the internet too.
    -
    - Also, don't worry about weight loss the first week or so, just get used to cutting your carbs way down. The water weight you lose will probably mean you will see results on the scales anyway so I wouldn't worry about counting calories at this stage (if you ever need to - this is a contested point), just worry about keeping your carbs very low and your protein moderate.
    -
    - If you can measure ketones eg with a blood meter then do. Ketostix only really helpful at the start, but it is nice to see the sticks turn purple the first few weeks! otherwise use the flexible ketogenic website and enter your grams of carbs, protein and fat to check if you have a "ketogenic" day of eating.
    -
    - Don't beat yourself up if it takes a while for you to get used to this way of eating. it did for me.
    -

Thank you for taking the time to share warm thoughts. I feel a little nervous because keto is such a big topic. but I'm a research aholic. I saw that book on Amazon. May buy it now with your recommendation. Thanks :) Do Keto sticks work after the first few weeks?
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Drink more water, use more salt, and drink broth. You tend to have a water flush and lose sodium, magnesium, and potassium.

Don't be afraid of fat. Once your carb & protein macros are suitably, finished for the day, if you're hungry, eat more fat. If you start to feel sick, see the first item, then eat more fat.

Cook up a BUNCH of stuff at once so you don't have to cook all the time.

Butter in coffee is delicious. So is straight up heavy cream or coconut oil, or any combo of the 3. Try it!
  • Twibbly
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I second the recommendation for Keto Clarity. A lot of things clicked for me when I read it. If you're worried about cholesterol, ready Cholesterol Clarity as well. :smile:

A lot of people recommend Phinney & Volek's "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living", but it's more into the science than the how to, at least in my opinion.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've made a great choice, this works! I started LCHF when I was diagnosed diabetic, less than 6 months ago, have now lost 45lbs and have better lab results than 10 years ago. If I can do it (total carboholic that I was), anyone can. :)

I second what has already been said, and suggest these books:
    http://amazon.co.uk/Diabetes-No-Thanks-Scandinavian-Diet
    amazon.co.uk/Scandinavian-Diet-Healthy-Low-Carbs/
    They're not the most usual recommendations but deal specifically with diabetes and are very down to earth, were very useful to me.

I love the Diet Doctor's site: dietdoctor.com/
    and Jimmy Moore's blog: livinlavidalowcarb.com/
    Search them and you'll find all the info you want, links and resources.

Good luck!
    ::flowerforyou::

• KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you're going to find keto very easy to do after you get used to it. This calculator can help you get your carb/protein/fat targets set up, if you haven't gone there yet.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

This is a great group to go to for advice and encouragement, so you're already a step ahead of the game.
    :)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Thank you for taking the time to share warm thoughts. I feel a little nervous because keto is such a big topic. but I'm a research aholic. I saw that book on Amazon. May buy it now with your recommendation. Thanks :) Do Keto sticks work after the first few weeks?

I should clarify that although the flexible ketogenic site is helpful, you still need to keep carbs low as an absolute number whatever the ratio ... I don't know about the ketostix but many folk say they aren't that accurate after a while. if I can get into ketosis, you can too.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    I bought a Ketonix - reusable breath meter for ketones. Initial outlay is more, but no refills required (like a blood meter) and no peeing on a stick that decides to quit changing colors after a while in ketosis.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have faith that you can do this, and you said you're ready!
    I started 9 weeks ago, I use ketostix few times a week, as long as they show I have ketons I'm happy. Stick around, ask questions and you'll do great!!
  • New2Keto
    New2Keto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Best of luck with your new lifestyle.

Word of advice though - dont be discouraged in the first few weeks, as your body becomes keto-adapted.

Personally I had bad guts for the first week, then a groggy head and a really short temper for the next two. But after that ... it was like a fog cleared in my head, and my energy levels went through through the roof.

But keep trying to hit your macros every day, log everything that goes in your mouth and chew some sea salt for the headaches.

Good luck!

• msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi DitsyBlond.

That's roughly where I started. Great advice on here already. Read and absorb as much as you can & start with a plan in mind.

Be prepared. The first few weeks can be rough but stay the course. It gets much easier soon after & you will LOVE the gradual but constant weight loss WITHOUT the hunger.

Fat IS Your Friend. :)

Trust me. It really works!!

Good Luck!!