Pork Skins

Options
I found some BBQ pork skins that I like (Jay's). After eating half a bagful over a few days, I read the ingredients. Wheat flour! Maltodextrin! Soy! I had checked the carbs--zero--so I thought they were ok. With that stuff in them, no wonder I ate more than usual...Lesson learned: read not only the carbs, read the ingredients. ;)

What's your fave pork skin brand?

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Mission .... Hot or BBQ
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You're better off with pork cracklins if you can find them. They have more of the fat included than pork rinds which are just the skin. Pork rinds are one of the most protein dense foods (per ounce) so you really need to watch out with them because it's very easy to over do your protein for the day.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Always check the ingredients on anything you buy. We have several brands in the stores, but most have the bad ingredients you listed above, along with MSG which I try to void at all costs. I live in Canada, and I have found that I have to find pork rinds in a health food store to get them plain. But even the bad ones are kind of hard to find in most stores here due to fear of eating high fat foods. So when I find the ones with just pork rinds and sea salt listed on the bag, I buy them when I see them.

I tried to make them myself a few months ago from the raw material, and they were not the same as the packaged ones, so i continue to buy them.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. This is my first time around for pork skins/cracklings and your help is appreciated! I sure won't be making them! :)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The ones I've found that I'll actually eat on their own don't have an actual brand name on them. Yellow bag at Walmart that just says "Original". It's not even WM's store brand. Normally I only use them for making breading/bread crumb substitutes, but those are the first I've found that I don't think taste burnt.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bacon's Heir makes flavored pork rinds ("pork clouds") that aren't full of junky ingredients. But they are kind of expensive and for some mysterious reason they are cooked in olive oil instead of lard.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky I'm in Texas...I get Hill Country Fare (HEB grocery store) Original Chicharrones.
    The label says, "Pork Cracklins * Fried Out Pork Fat With Attached Skin".
    Ingredients are, uhhhh...
    Fried out pork fat with attached skin, salt added.
    BAM.

Maybe see if you can find a Mexican market?

-T.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    yep - second the mexican market.
  • fzermer
    fzermer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    I'm lucky I'm in Texas...I get Hill Country Fare (HEB grocery store) Original Chicharrones.
    The label says, "Pork Cracklins * Fried Out Pork Fat With Attached Skin".
    Ingredients are, uhhhh...
    Fried out pork fat with attached skin, salt added.
    BAM.

Maybe see if you can find a Mexican market?

-T.

Same here @Teneko‌ - HEB Chicharrones - The best!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I buy mission, or some others, really whatever has ingredients that are some variation of pig skin&fat, and salt.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I find the PLAIN ones all taste about the same. The chemically based ones I leave in the store. While I do not live on them I do like them especially when traveling by car and I am skipping a meal.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I've only managed to find 2 brands here in Perth. One is fried in canola oil!!!!! The other doesn't say, which seems very odd to me because surely the quantity of oil/lard/fat is large enough to require reporting? Both are ultimately made by the same company, PepsiCo.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    edited March 2015
    Options
    With all the varieties, it sure does make sense to read the labels. Seems ridiculous to fry pork skins in canola oil--don't they even think?

I'm not crazy about the taste of these things, but they are a great pick-me-up when I'm feeling like I need a little somethin'-somethin'. A couple pieces curb hunger for quite a while.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I :heart: chicharrones!
    Dipped in avocado garlic mayo or super-dip... NOM...you people always make me so hungry.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I :heart: chicharrones!
    Dipped in avocado garlic mayo or super-dip... NOM...you people always make me so hungry.

@baconslave I've yet to successfully make any kind of dip like this - more savory. I made a roasted red pepper dip that was good but naturally too sweet for me. I'd love to hear a recipe for your avocado garlic mayo or super-dip!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Why do I get the feeling the recipe is "Avocado, plus garlic, plus mayo, to taste!"? ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Why do I get the feeling the recipe is "Avocado, plus garlic, plus mayo, to taste!"? ;)

LOL - likely, but that "super-dip" is intriguing. And as someone who is "new" to "playing" with mayo, I'd love more direction.

In my former high carb life, mayo always made me super sick. I grew up with miracle whip as tolerable. However, since going LCHF/Keto and making my own mayo, restaurant and homemade mayo do not make me sick, so I'm getting more adventurous, but I know aoli's and such can be complicated, so I'd love some advice from those more mayo-adept.

Thanks in advance, everyone.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Ok. Sorry, missed this yesterday. The TOM-provoked chronic fatigue smacked me in the face.

Avocado garlic mayo. 1 avocado mashed, mayo (as many tbsp as there are oz of avocado), garlic, salt, pepper, and a tbsp of lime or lemon juice. Ridiculously simple, and ridiculously delicious. I have to be careful not to lick the spoon too often. :blush:

Super Dip isn't all that special. The kids called it that. Sour cream and mayo (about 1/3 c each maybe), tbsp or 2 of ranch, seasoned salt, and whatever spices are your fave. Simple but yummy. I make it different every time. Did it with Caesar once instead. Hubby came up with it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2015
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Ok. Sorry, missed this yesterday. The TOM-provoked chronic fatigue smacked me in the face.

Avocado garlic mayo. 1 avocado mashed, mayo (as many tbsp as there are oz of avocado), garlic, salt, pepper, and a tbsp of lime or lemon juice. Ridiculously simple, and ridiculously delicious. I have to be careful not to lick the spoon too often. :blush:

Super Dip isn't all that special. The kids called it that. Sour cream and mayo (about 1/3 c each maybe), tbsp or 2 of ranch, seasoned salt, and whatever spices are your fave. Simple but yummy. I make it different every time. Did it with Caesar once instead. Hubby came up with it.

Thanks! The first sounds like just a variation on guac with mayo...so that should be easy...

Super dip will have to be just for me... My guy can't handle sour cream that hasn't been cooked/warmed. Something in the processing cultures or something makes him sick. Might try it with a 1:2 ratio of cream cheese to mayo though for him...