Sooo...I suck. Poorly Trained for HM Tommorow - Run, Walk or Bail??

Options
mom2tripsn2
mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
So, back in December after I had finished my first Half and was psyched to grab my next one quickly, I found a Half Marathon in the end of March on my FAVORITE local trail...a fund raiser, for a good cause, cheap entry even if you didn't fund raise (which, I ended up not)...and figured that signing up for it would be a great way to keep a training schedule through the winter. I was determined that I was going to run "rain or shine", "through snow and ice",etc, etc, etc... I was a big, fat, liar.

December I was a slug. It was the holiday season, it was end of year at work, I had zero time and zero energy. I think, in December, I ran a total of about 5 miles. January was a bit better. I put together my training schedule, even had some speed work and interval training in there to try and get faster, joined a gym and begrudgingly started running on a treadmill...of course, the gym was near work, not home, so while I managed to get in 2 or 3 days a week of 2-4 miles on the treadmill, I did no long runs (because they were scheduled on the weekend). None.

February went even further downhill. Was in the hospital for a couple days the first week, and then started a new job in the second week. No more gym membership (was through work), busy learning a new job, still not feeling the greatest. I don't think I ran for 3 weeks straight. Maybe one or two 3-5 mile runs. The last week of February I got it back in gear and did a couple 3 mile runs during the week and managed to find one nice day outside when the road wasn't completely ice covered and got in like a 7 mile run.

March started off rocky. After 1 good week I found myself back in the hospital for 2 days. I didn't run for a week. Came home, and was, at that point, completely panicked that I only had 3 weeks left to train for the Half Marathon. I was determined to put some sort of steady work in before NOW. And I did...sort of. A couple 3-4 mile runs. A 6 mile, an 8 mile. Nothing super consistent.

So, the point to all the long winded confession of my winter laziness, is...the Half is tomorrow. I would prefer NOT to die. Is it possible to run a Half with spotty (at BEST) training?

Things worth mentioning:

The course is 1/2 mile of rolling hills, followed by 12 miles of FLAT (and not like when people say "flat" and it means "no BIG hills"...this is FLAT...I have run it many times), followed by 1/2 mile of rolling hills...and it's a well groomed trail...not pavement...for those 12 flat miles.

I am running with a friend...who has also admitted to not training AT ALL. Like...not AT ALL. She has been doing crossfit and strength work..but hasn't been running much, and nothing over 3 miles.

I don't mind walking. I don't mind running/walking. It is timed, but not by chip, and I certainly threw the idea of doing even half way decent out the window a few weeks ago. I just don't want to not finish. That would suck.

Thoughts?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to your overall fitness and being open to walking. I did something similar--after my last half in November (and an impromptu 12 mile run on Thanksgiving) I signed up for a half on March 14 with the brilliant (not) idea that it would force me to run through the winter even though I hate the treadmill and have problems getting in outdoor runs when it's really cold or snowy. Well, I mostly didn't, although I did a decent number of 5-6 mile runs and ran 8.5 miles the week before my half. However, I did do a lot of other cardio during my time off--I was training for a biking trip, so did a bunch of spinning and then the trip, and I did a lot of circuit training type classes at my gym.

I ended up telling myself I'd treat the half as a training run, NOT try to do it any faster than I'd do a long training run, and surprised myself by feeling pretty good--I think the other cardio carried me through it.

If you feel pretty fit but just not in running shape I'd recommend approaching it like that. If you are a little less certain, I think walk/running is a great idea or just stopping for walking breaks from time to time. The main thing is not to hurt yourself or set yourself back afterwards.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Make it a practice in trusting yourself to go easy and have fun. Try to count how many dogs are spectators. See if you can find someone to inspire you every mile. Plan to walk mile 8, 9 and 10 no matter what. Bring your camera. This is spring and it is a going to be gorgeous.

be happy that you know you will be able to totally kill your time on this race later this year and think of it as the first step to improvement.

You must go out extremely slow...that means the first 6 miles should feel like you are constantly restraining yourself to run slower. Running with a friend is tricky...If she wants to go faster let her go..sounds like you will certainly catch here later based on your description of her training.

I am doing the same thing tomorrow. My solid training schedule fell off the rails. I've only run one other 1/2 without a race time in mind in my whole life so I'm really looking forward to wearing a cute running outfit and having an easy relaxing day on a gorgeous course. Good stuff
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you can truly manage your expectations and hold yourself accountable for your diminished performance, I say go for it. If you're ok with walking it, there's no sense in a DNS.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'd go for it based on what you wrote. Just go easy and don't stress yourself. This is a beautiful time of year for running or walking so I would go and enjoy myself. I think your friend is the one that is going to have problems if her longest run has only been 3 miles. Hoefully she is in greate shape from the cross fit and strength training.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As long as you are feeling up for it health wise, I say go for it too. I like snowflake's advice. Make a game of it, take a camera, have no expectations and just go have fun! I hope you get a gorgeous spring day!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it will be fun, since you'll be with a friend, and gorgeous since it's a trail in the spring. It also sounds like you want to do it, so I think you should. Don't worry about time, just think of it as a fun, friendly excursion :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I had been training for my half (coming on Sunday) pretty religiously until I sprained my ankle at a 10K at the beginning of March on icy trails. I had hung up t he idea of running the half, but my ankle feels so much better I've decided I'm going to go ahead. Even t hough my longest training run ( a month ago) was 10 miles. I wish you luck and lots of fun. :) Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :flowerforyou:
  • mom2tripsn2
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! So, my friend sent me a text "I'm not feeling so great...think I'm coming down with something...I will let you know about tomorrow". I am PRETTY sure that she is bailing. I am not :smiley: I love all the enthusiasm and support from everyone here and I am going to just go and have fun at one of my favorite places to run and see how it goes...I'll take it nice and easy, not even look at the time, and hopefully come out of it feeling great :smile:

At the end of the day, I think that even a DNF would sit better with me than a DNS....

Wish me luck!!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I did a 5/1 run walk split on very little training as a training run. Got there, Slow time better than DNF better than DNS. The hard part is getting to the start line, try and have fun and just go slow, treat it as a 10 mile walk with a 5k run. Let us know how you get on.
  • mom2tripsn2
    Options
    Did it, killed it....no, wait....did NOT kill it lol sucked pretty badly actually LOL but I got through it and I'm so glad I didn't back out :smile:
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Did it, killed it....no, wait....did NOT kill it lol sucked pretty badly actually LOL but I got through it and I'm so glad I didn't back out :smile:

Congrats, you completed it and.that's all that matters
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing it!
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Well done on going for it, congrat's on finishing.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Congratulations on getting through it. Was it better or worse than the first? Did your friend bail out in the end? And are you ready to do a third to build on the limited training you have done?

Well done again

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Hooray! Good for you.
  • mom2tripsn2
    Options
    They posted results today and I actually beat my time from November by a lille over 5 minutes! :) I have another planned for May, so I am newly determined to train properly....the last 3 miles were ROUGH and i was pretty sore yesterday...but still so worth it..
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yay! Glad you went for it!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    They posted results today and I actually beat my time from November by a lille over 5 minutes! :) I have another planned for May, so I am newly determined to train properly....the last 3 miles were ROUGH and i was pretty sore yesterday...but still so worth it..

Success! Now with new determination to train properly. Double success.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Fantastic, well done

• valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    woo hoo thats brilliant! good woman yourself bet you feel brilliant. Delighted for you