Connection between weighing, tracking and bingeing

Options
ohiotubagal
ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
I have noticed that for me, there seems to be a correlation between weighing and bingeing. Here's my mindset:

Gain = well heck, I might as well eat, I gained anyway

Loss = Woohoo, let's celebrate!

Not weighing daily causes me lots of anxiety. I find myself wondering constantly if I'm up or down. I guess that's par for the course with an eating disorder (or so I've been told). Sometimes I'll even weigh after a run, knowing that I'll be down, just to see the lower number.

As far as tracking...not sure about that one. I've been doing MFP for almost a year and have tracked every day. I think I would freak if I missed a day.

What do you guys think? Have any similar experiences?

Replies

• ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I actually went through the exact same thing!

If you think this is one of the roots of your problem, I highly suggest checking out the book "Intuitive Eating" because it has lots of suggestions on how to deal with this. I logged for two years without missing a day and weighed every single one of those days before reading that book. It's scary letting go, but remember that it is for the better! I personally no longer own a scale and I have taken myfitnesspal off my phone completely so my only way of accessing it is through my computer.

Stay strong, and remember that you're worth it!
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I like Ryan's post - the goal is to get in touch with our bodies hunger level and to eat healthy. Counting calories, weighing daily, etc., all add to the obsession and feeds the beast. Some can do it sans difficulty. But others of us are wired in such a way that it becomes an obsession.
  • kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I tried doing daily weighing for a bit, but after 3 days in a row showing a gain (while being under calories) I got angry and binged since " I wasn't losing weight anyway". Needless to say, I have stopped weighing daily , now I just do it once a week. I am very tempted to hop on the scale many mornings, but tell myself no, because it can really affect the outcome of my day!!

As for tracking, in the past I have been bad. I would track on good days, and when the binge won my diary would be blank, or half filled if my day started with good intentions. My new year's resolution this year was to track everything, no matter what, and I do think it has helped me. I no longer associate going over a couple hundred calories a "lost cause" (aka excuse to binge!). But everyone is different so you have to figure out what is the best/healthiest (physically AND mentally) method for weight loss. Good luck!
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kge0891 wrote: »
    I tried doing daily weighing for a bit, but after 3 days in a row showing a gain (while being under calories) I got angry and binged since " I wasn't losing weight anyway". Needless to say, I have stopped weighing daily , now I just do it once a week. I am very tempted to hop on the scale many mornings, but tell myself no, because it can really affect the outcome of my day!!

As for tracking, in the past I have been bad. I would track on good days, and when the binge won my diary would be blank, or half filled if my day started with good intentions. My new year's resolution this year was to track everything, no matter what, and I do think it has helped me. I no longer associate going over a couple hundred calories a "lost cause" (aka excuse to binge!). But everyone is different so you have to figure out what is the best/healthiest (physically AND mentally) method for weight loss. Good luck!

I think an important point to take away from Kourtney's post is you need to see what works for you. Tracking works wonders for her, and she's been super successful lately because of it! It's had the opposite effect for me. Keep trying new things, and never become complacent with what you're currently doing if you keep binging.