Started today 3/30

Hi Everyone,

I just started 21 Day Fix (21DF) today. I really love these workouts. My confusion is coming from the difference in what MyFitnessPal (MFP) tells me total calories should be a day and what the material that came with 21DF says. MFP is telling me I should be eating 1400 calories a day, that is with the workouts!!! But when I figure everything up with the material that came with 21DF I am in the 1800-2100 calorie bracket.

What does everyone do? Do you follow MFP or 21DF guidelines?

Replies

• dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    I imagine it would be because the 21 day fix you don't eat back your exercise calories - you just eat what you are suppose to.

Whereas MFP has you eating back exercise calories.

I started today - and I am suppose to eat the 1200-1499 bracket. I logged my food for the day already, because I was curious and I am set to eat 1,146. Pretty close I guess.
  • doodlebug32
    doodlebug32 Posts: 66 Member
    I've been following the 21DF guidelines...and not logging my food for the most part.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    nc603 Are you sure you calculated correctly? I only ask because my husband calculated his intake and didn't come to nearly that many calories and he's trying to maintain, not lose, weight. Double check your calculations here: http://teamelev8fitness.com/2014/03/21-day-fix-getting-startedcalorie-calculator/

Now, if you still come up with the same numbers, my guess is that what dkwi04 says is spot on. MFP is going to add calories to your daily amount every time you update your exercise. Your caloric goal will increase as a result. Odds are, when you add in the calories burned doing 21 Day Fix, you'll be falling into that same window of caloric need.
  • nc603
    nc603 Posts: 17
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback!!!

dkwi04 - I think you might be right. I haven't tracked how many calories I burn with 21DF. I am not even sure how to enter it. I saw someone post they enter it on here as Circuit training. How do you enter it?

doodlebug32 - I was thinking of doing that myself. Just not tracking while I am doing 21DF. This is actually my third round of 21DF. I did 2 rounds last year when it first came out. I did lose weight back then. I am eating differently now so I want to make sure I am getting all the calories in I need so my body doesn't think I am trying to starve it. I am really tempted to do what you are doing though.

SatiaRenee - I went to the link and plugged in my current weight and it says the same number that my calculations have me at, caloric need is 1828 calories. So I did figure it out right. Thanks for the double check!!! I will plus in my workouts like I saw someone else do as general circuit training and I see where that leads me.
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    I wear a heart rate monitor to see the calories burned.

So yesterday I ate exactly my containers, and it ended up being 1,150 calories.

Today if I eat everything I have planned to complete the containers I will be at 1,359.

So it is keeping me in the 1200-1499 bracket thus far and I am sure it will all even out.
  • SatiaRenee
    @nc603 Yeah, then it's probably allowing for extra calories because of the exercise you'll be doing. Like @dkwi04, I've found that when I use the containers I'm usually within the range of calories I should be. And I'm losing, not feeling hungry or anything, so I'm definitely happy.
  • nc603
    nc603 Posts: 17
    @dkwi04 and @SatiaRenee - I just entered my food for yesterday and entered my workout and general circuit training. It added the calories that I burned into my total calories for the day. It still only has me eating 1758 calories, which is lower than the 1800-2099 bracket that 21DF has me in. I am going to play with it over the next couple of weeks and see what happens. As long as I keep losing I won't mess with it. :)
  • SatiaRenee
    @nc603 You're doing GREAT! Keep it up and you'll definitely feel the difference before you know it!
  • islae2010
    islae2010 Posts: 37 Member
    I started 3/30 and am loving these first few days. Add me as a friend if you wish!