Junk Food and Mental Health

Options
Braincatcher
Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
Hubby went camping over the weekend, so the kitchen was full of junk food this morning. Being the genius I am, I had a chocolate pudding, a Diet Coke, and a handful of Chikin in a Biskit for breakfast. I kid you not, I felt DRUNK an hour later, and not in the happy fun way. I had no energy at all and I felt like my brain was full of dryer lint. I guess I know now what this stuff does to my body! Oddly enough, though, this is just the feeling I've been trying to fix with medications since I was 19 years old. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Replies

• Minyo67
    Minyo67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually feel the same with junk food, especially sugar. I'm a binge eater and know the feeling well >_<
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes. I get the same way if I eat junk.
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah me too. I feel like I am high off of the sugar, also if I eat any bread it just feels like I have a huge sludge of crap in my belly. Makes it easier to stick to the plan when negative effects happen.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely blaming the crackers for the bulk of the problem--MSG is not my friend. Feeling like a horse's *kitten* did make it easier to pass up the Peeps at the grocery store last night. In other news, I taught my son to read nutrition labels yesterday.
  • 1briannamom
    1briannamom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yup, sugar is evil.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Feeling drunk is the best description.

I fell off the wagon for an afternoon earlier this week and if I had been pulled over while driving, the trooper would have given me a field sobriety test, I swear. What a horrendous feeling. I hadn't felt like that in ten weeks, and I won't be feeling that way again for a lonnnnng time. I was still full the following morning and I had a sugar hangover.

I'm probably diabetic now, according to my newest lab results. I need to talk to the doctor, and my glucose has fallen with a better diet and is now out of range for diabetes, but the A1C test wasn't great.

Just the thought of sugary foods conjures up visions of my old diabetic Italian aunts in their black dresses -- and I've lost the craving.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I feel like the bottom of the garbage can, and then my stomach decides it doesn't like what I did either.