How do Zero Carb-ers get vitamins?

Options
gsp90x
gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
Hey there,

So... I've been snooping around the internet a while and can't find what I'm looking for. Someone direct me?

I'm of the mind that it's a perfectly viable option to go zero carb, in whatever fashion that means to you, but.... I've been on low carb for about a month and I know my vitamin C is suffering because I'm starting to get weird bruises. I started a Vit-C pill and they're not appearing any more. This has happened in the past.

So I'm wondering if you can explain or point me to some info about how the zero carb people are keeping up their nutrition, not just loosing weight.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    An excellent resource, when talking Vitamin C and scurvy in particular, is "The Fat of the Land" by Stefansson. http://highsteaks.com/the-fat-of-the-land-not-by-bread-alone-vilhjalmur-stefansson.pdf

You're welcome to ask me. But, my answer is going to be "we get all the vitamins and minerals we need for health from meat." Does meat provide the full RDA? Nope. But, the RDA is based on the assumption of eating a varied (carb including) diet. For example, it provides no vitamin C at all. Yet, scurvy not only is avoided on a diet of only fresh meat, it can be cured with just a diet of fresh meat. You get less thiamin than is recommended, but you're not processing carbs (which consumes a large portion of your thiamin intake).

The simple fact is, we don't know the RDAs of nutrients on an all meat diet. What we do know is that people eating all meat diets don't suffer from deficiencies or exhibit signs of lack of proper nutrition. We have whole populations who have survived on nearly meat only without problems. We have some people who lived decades (Bear was meat-only for over 50 years) without problems.

There's also a Facebook group. But, they're not exactly going to go out of their way to provide all the references and studies you want. There are files that lead to more. And most are willing to talk about how long they've been doing it and how their health has improved dramatically, and not deteriorated.
  • gsp90x
    Options
    Holy moly! Ok. I've read only 17 pages of that book. Not the most exciting, I have to say. It's going slow. But I'm sure there's reassurance, studies and historical info that will help. Like how we got to the "don't eat fat" rule. Thanks! This *is* a good ressource.
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    You're welcome to ask me. But, my answer is going to be "we get all the vitamins and minerals we need for health from meat." Does meat provide the full RDA? Nope. But, the RDA is based on the assumption of eating a varied (carb including) diet. For example, it provides no vitamin C at all. Yet, scurvy not only is avoided on a diet of only fresh meat, it can be cured with just a diet of fresh meat. You get less thiamin than is recommended, but you're not processing carbs (which consumes a large portion of your thiamin intake).

The simple fact is, we don't know the RDAs of nutrients on an all meat diet. What we do know is that people eating all meat diets don't suffer from deficiencies or exhibit signs of lack of proper nutrition.

That. Is interesting. About the Thiamin. Huh! Very interesting indeed. And also about RDAs.

Thanks FIT goat! I've got some reading to do!

• gsp90x
    Options
    As an aside, how long have you been eating only meat? Or is that what you eat? I know you've said you don't eat.... plants? Do you eat dairy and eggs?

Could you give me a timeline on what you started eating or what you now eat etc.? Or not. Just curious.

Thank you!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »

^^ :smile: ^^ mmm, broth...
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well, the time-line will be a bit varied. It's also a long story. Might want to grab a cup of joe.

Around 10-12 years ago, I was a vegetarian. Yes, your friendly neighborhood carnivore once tried to live without flesh. I knew eating "normal" food wasn't working for me. I was fat and unhappy. I thought the vegetarians had the answer. When I stayed fat and got sicker eating that way, I gave it up.

A little over 4 years ago, I was all CICO. I had been already. But, I joined this site determined to finally make it work by really counting everything. I lost some weight, rapidly, by pretty extreme restriction. At one point, I reached 75 kg (165 lbs). That was the lowest I could get. I don't have the exact time line, but it probably came off in 8 months. I then slowly, painfully, regained most of it due to lack of will power.

About 2.5 years ago, I fell into the primal/paleo thing. I cut a lot of carbs, but kept the "good" ones like potatoes, rice, plantains, fruits. This didn't really help me lose any weight. I probably continued to gain during this time.

About 1.5 years ago, I read about real carb restriction. At this point, I had realized that the potatoes and other "ok" carbs from paleo/primal weren't helping me. I started a ketogenic diet (at about 92.5 kg -- 204 lbs). From almost the start, I was very low carb. I also ate vegetables, but not very much. I ate them out of an "obligation" that I thought I had. They're what made this high-fat diet healthy, right?

Late January/Early February 2014 (a few months after going keto), I stumble across the above book. I am instantly hooked by it. I remember rambling about it at length during a family get together. There's an email from March 7th, where I email the book to my father. So, it had to be sometime before that. At that point, I had read it and was already very close. I had already cut a lot of my vegetables down. I was even logging vegetables, that I planned on eating, but never actually eating them. So, I was very close. I was still not sure.

March through May 2014, I repeatedly attempted to go full meat, and then wimped out. Sometimes it was because I had massive cravings (I still included nuts and artificial sweeteners). Sometimes it was because I was worried that this wasn't actually safe. Was I going to kill myself? Was I going to be "that guy who got scurvy in the year 2014"? I knew the science said it wouldn't happen, but how could I be sure.

I had found other groups and other resources about this way. There's a mega-thread when one guy (Bear) talks about living this way for over 50 years. I read through that. I found the ZIOH forums. I started reading those. They were *kitten*. LOL, I still think they are at times. I love them all. But, they're not always nice or tolerant. They were talking about how artificial sweeteners, nuts, plant oils, and all this other stuff were unacceptable and would cause problems. I decided for a month long "proof" that they were wrong. I was going to eat, at a minimum, one Atkins/Detour/Quest bar (or some other heavily sweetened fat bomb keto-approved treat) every single day of June.

I was going to continue to eat ad libitum. That is, I didn't restrict daily calories during keto. I tracked, but I ate as much as I felt like and stopped when I was full. That's why I was logging vegetables I *might* eat. So, I knew what amount I had to eat under. The rest of the stuff was "eat until done." June was not a good month.

3ee7jguv2rte.png
    You can see the two months leading up to June. I was losing. The rate is actually 0.46 kg/week (a little more than 1 lb/week) for those two months. It was pretty typical for the whole time I had done keto. June, I gained at a rate of 0.46 kg/week. Yep, it was pretty much the equivalent of a 1,000 calorie swing. I did eat more, but not that much more.

After reviewing that month, I decided they might have a point. They clearly weren't sick or dying. Some had done it for over a decade. I waited a couple weeks. I forget why. I had gone back to my old way of eating, with minimal sweeteners. But, I had a couple veggies during those two weeks. I can't, for the life of me, remember why I kept the veggies those two weeks. I knew I was going to try the hard-core for 30 days after my June thing. Maybe I just needed a mental rest before starting.

On July 17th, I stopped eating plants. It was going to be for 30 days. Give their method a shot. I never stopped after 30 days. I currently eat eggs, cheese, cream, and meat. I drink water and coffee. I've actually not eaten any dairy for about a month. It's mostly coincidence. I just haven't bothered to buy any. I haven't really wanted any either. Most of my diet is beef. I tend to eat lots of ground beef and roasts/steaks.

I've eaten this way without supplementation since that date. Well, I did have a few nuts and a couple Atkins bars during a moment of weakness after my honeymoon. And, let's not talk about the honeymoon. My wife begged be to "eat normal and not stress her out" during the honeymoon. I still ate mostly meat, but I did drink a lot and included some other stuff. One night, I tried to eat a whole 4 pound burger with a pound of cheese on it. The killer for me was the bun and fries. I didn't even come close. That period was probably the most significant deviation, and no vegetables. The carbs were junk carbs and booze.

What's funny, by the end of the week, my wife told me that she couldn't wait for me to go back to "eating the way you normally do." Why? She had forgotten that I never have gas when eating just meat. LOL. In all honesty, I would have been so much happier to just stick with it. I was pretty miserable that week from the food. I didn't feel good. I just felt like I was running on low-octane gas. It also hit my weight pretty significantly. It's coming back off, but my weight spiked and stayed pretty high for a while. Plus, my cravings were back in force for a couple weeks after.

That's pretty much it. I eat meat and eggs. I drink coffee and water. There's nothing sweet in my diet. There's no plants (except some spices, if I feel like them). I don't count anything, not even carbs. I'll eat liver, knowing there's carbs, but not worrying about tracking. I just avoid plants.

I think that answered the question. I'm still very much a "newbie" in the eyes of most carnivores. I'm only at 8-9 months. They consider a year a good start. And really, 5 years is a pretty common benchmark time-frame for being considered truly experienced.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Oh, and I say "I'll eat liver" and not worry about the carbs. But, I do not include liver in my normal diet, nor do I eat it for the vitamins or minerals. I haven't actually had liver this entire time. I will eventually have it. I would need to go buy some first. And, to do that, I would probably need to work up a craving for it. I say that I'll eat it, because it's not the carbs that stop me from eating it. It's mostly that I don't know if I'll enjoy it without all the onions I used to fry it with. So, I just haven't had it. It's not out of the picture though.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Oh, and I say "I'll eat liver" and not worry about the carbs. But, I do not include liver in my normal diet, nor do I eat it for the vitamins or minerals. I haven't actually had liver this entire time. I will eventually have it. I would need to go buy some first. And, to do that, I would probably need to work up a craving for it. I say that I'll eat it, because it's not the carbs that stop me from eating it. It's mostly that I don't know if I'll enjoy it without all the onions I used to fry it with. So, I just haven't had it. It's not out of the picture though.

I'm not very keen on liver and onions myself, liver and bacon on the other hand... I usually buy lambs liver as it is a bit milder in flavour - soaking liver for a couple of hours in milk can make the flavour a bit less strong as well (I don't usually bother with lambs liver though). I usually cut the liver into thin strips and stir fry with the bacon. I'll have that with veg ;)

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Slice liver as thinly as you possibly can and then fry it. I probably overcook it. I know that ruins some of the benefits but, if it makes it palatable...
  • gsp90x
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »

Thanks Sajyana!! I was actually thinking about just this thing last night laying in bed. My heart was racing and I kept getting these head rush/passing out feelings even though I was laying there with my eyes closed. I've come to learn that feeling is low blood pressure from not enough electrolytes. So I got up and forced down a bunch of salt mixed into mayo and globbed it onto cheese. Took about 20 min. but everything went back to normal. I did debate making some broth but the though of just drinking broth at that hour (middle of night), made me gag. But I was definitely thinking of all this and thinking I should start making some! THANK YOU!!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    I did debate making some broth but the though of just drinking broth at that hour (middle of night), made me gag. But I was definitely thinking of all this and thinking I should start making some! THANK YOU!!

I boil my bone broth down until it's concentrated. I can dump some into a cup & add in hot water from my kettle & have broth, or I can just stick a spoonful of the jelly in my mouth & swallow, or I can cook with it.
  • gsp90x
    Options
    FIT goat!! My hero!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of that!

Like you I was a vegetarian and when that didn't help, I went vegan. Looking back... what was I thinking. I just got more and more sick and more and more fat!! It was debilitating. Literally. I was 325lbs! Then came Atkins (and a relationship break up with my vegan fiance-best decision EH-VER)

Anywho, I think we are likely cut from the same cloth you and I. When I look back at things... I rarely eat vegetables, and only then because I think... yeah, I suppose I should. That's the healthy thing to do. I actually laugh now when people use the word "healthy". WTH does that even mean now anyway?

I'm feeling so empowered. Like this WOE, though most would consider it "not normal" is actually allowing me to finally feel normal :blush:

And this community is really, the best place I've found in all my years of learning about WOE.

Thanks guys.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    The funny thing is, I rather like vegetables. Mostly as a butter or cheese transportation device, but even on their own. If I hadn't seen such a dramatic improvement in some areas (mainly digestive), I probably would still include them. But, eating vegetables is a sure way to induce my gut to make noises that suggest a starving demon is trying to chew its way out. Later, there will be waste fumes that suggest the aforementioned demon has died and is rotting. I'll feel "bleh" and just be off. I'm also more inclined to desire sweets (which is weird). Remove the plants and all those symptoms resolve and don't return.

I didn't even know how bad it was, until it suddenly wasn't bad. It was just my "normal" to always be dealing with stomach issues. I have even recounted how an ex-girlfriend could accurately predict what I had eaten, while talking to me over the phone. She could predict it from overhearing the background noise of my stomach. Yeah, even with that, I didn't really piece together that what I was eating wasn't right for me. When I finally went free of all veggies, I realized that my stomach got better. After a couple weeks, I realized that I had forgotten the last time it caused me issues. When I had some broccoli (eating out), it was back with a vengeance and stayed for a few days.

Now, I just ask myself, "is some [insert vegetable] really worth sleeping in the spare bedroom for 2-3 nights because my wife can't stand to share a room with me?" Usually not. It was always bad, but when she realized what life was like without dealing with the side-effects of my digestive issues, her tolerance for it dropped dramatically. I joke with her about it whenever she worries about how healthy my diet is. I remind her that she's asked me to go back to all meat to avoid civilian casualties in my body's chemical warfare against plants.
  • gsp90x
    Options
    Wow! That really is interesting! Who would have thought. I don't think I have that problem. So I think I might keep eating green things. They ARE much better transporting fat though, aren't they? I've never heard such a story. Fascinating. I have to say my partner (Mr anti-fat) is relatively concerned about my new WOE but, as your wife, seeing the undeniable change for the better, is supportive. And he comments almost daily about the changes for the better so... :) Something is working.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    This is also a pretty good video to watch:

http://youtu.be/YdRBFiBWQZQ

She's obviously of the opinion that some amount of vegetables is fine. But, she asked the obvious question: what is the absolute minimum needed for health? And, the only answer that you can really find support for is none. All plants have some defenses against their main body parts being eaten.

I always thought I handled vegetables well. I hadn't really considered otherwise. I blamed it on cheese and dairy. Even when I cut it out as a vegetarian and most of my issues stayed the same. I just assumed the fact that it improved a little was proof it was the dairy. It's only after they're really all gone that I see how bad it still was. Dairy still confuses me. I can ( had have ) drink a whole cup of heavy cream. It won't bother my stomach at all. I've never tried higher lactose dairy. I'm too nervous. But, I may have wrongly assumed that it was the problem. As it is, I don't do cream a lot because I find it easy to overdo ( again, I've drank whole cups of it before ).

In the end, I think everyone should find what works for them. When in doubt though, there is a baseline that almost everyone can be healthy on. Meat and water. Some can add more to that than others. It's not fair. But, life's not fair.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Really interesting thread! I had a night out in Shimbashi (Tokyo) last night -- we ate yakitori, and the best bit was the grilled chicken liver bits! small 2-cm chunks on a skewer, roasted outside and kinda pink inside, so it was juicy and not tough at all. You could do it under a broiler. The meat may have been marinated, I could not tell.