Goals

Options
Carrieendar
Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
When you head into a race you've been training hard for, how do you set up your goals in your mind?

A,b,c goal? Hardest first or last? By level of happiness? Do you base them off a calculator?

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Generally I have a stretch goal, which is unlikely to be met unless it's a perfect race and I pretty well drop one step past the finish line.
    Then I have a realistic goal that I have to work for, but I'm definitely going to be happy with.
    Then the backup goal.
    Times are generally based off a calculator and how I feel my training has been.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Generally I have a stretch goal, which is unlikely to be met unless it's a perfect race and I pretty well drop one step past the finish line.
    Then I have a realistic goal that I have to work for, but I'm definitely going to be happy with.
    Then the backup goal.
    Times are generally based off a calculator and how I feel my training has been.

Pretty much this.

For my first HM a few weeks ago. I set a realistic goal of coming within +/- 5 mins of the target time I had trained for so 2:10-2:20 based on a 2:15 training plan. I had a stretch goal anything under 2:10 but was never going to be under 2 hours. My back up goal was to finish, my view was, if I was outside 2:20 something must have gone wrong and therefore finishing my first was the back stop goal.

Did 2:06 so was deliriously happy.

Good luck on setting your goals, if you are anything like me, I was forever doubting myself and my training in the last 2 weeks. I was surprised I even had a goal I could remember when I turned up, I had changed it so many times. If you are early in your running, try to make it enjoyable and memorable, there is plenty of time to chase personal greatness. Have fun!!

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I typically do ABC goals. The C goal is the one that's definitely doable, B is if I'm having a stellar day, and A is if all the stars align and I forget how to feel fatigue ;) Usually I base my C goal off my long runs and take off 2-3 mins for my B and A goals for a half, ~5 minutes for a full marathon. I also have a D "goal" in mind in case things go awfully and I need to give myself a consolation goal.

Example: I have a half marathon coming up at the end of April which I've been training for since Feb 1 while training for my marathon at the end of May. I ran a 1:55:48 in training the a few weeks ago, so my C goal is 1:55, my B goal is 1:52, and my A goal is 1:50 or better (which may very well be doable as the race is along the Jersey Shore and the elevation chart only goes from 0 to 40 feet!!).

I don't use the race calculator things, because that tells me that based off my mile/5k time, I should run a 3:53 marathon, and that's definitely not happening. That would be fifty minutes faster than my first/only other marathon! I know I've gotten tougher... but not that tough!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

I don't use the race calculator things, because that tells me that based off my mile/5k time, I should run a 3:53 marathon, and that's definitely not happening. That would be fifty minutes faster than my first/only other marathon! I know I've gotten tougher... but not that tough!

The further away the distances are, the more likely the calculators are to error. 5k to a marathon is huge difference in physiological response. 5k should give you a good indicator of 10k performance etc. If you are going for a marathon, you should have a pretty good idea of your best 10k and HM times, these should be your stepping stones, and will give you a better indicator of FM performance. I would not expect to be able to judge Usain Bolt's FM time based on his 100m time, completely different requirements.

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »

The further away the distances are, the more likely the calculators are to error. 5k to a marathon is huge difference in physiological response. 5k should give you a good indicator of 10k performance etc. If you are going for a marathon, you should have a pretty good idea of your best 10k and HM times, these should be your stepping stones, and will give you a better indicator of FM performance. I would not expect to be able to judge Usain Bolt's FM time based on his 100m time, completely different requirements.

The calculators assume equivalent fitness and training for each prediction and the simple truth is that maybe 10% of marathon participants meet this criteria. The vast majority are under trained.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I use the McMillan calculator but - unless there is an obvious round-number target (e.g. sub 3 marathon) - I like to plan my race strategy based on paces rather than finish times. Obviously the two are linked, but especially in a longer race I like to take it one mile at a time and don't even look at the total time till I'm finished. I would usually have a ballpark time in mind that I think is realistic based on my training and other recent race performances and plan to run at more or less the pace that will get me that time. However, I give myself a pace range - target pace, pace not to go slower than (usually existing PR pace unless I don't think I'm really in PR shape), pace I'm not allowed to go faster than unless it's very close to the end of the race.

I wouldn't have a 'C' goal because if I really mess up and can't hit the pace I know should be realistic, it means something has gone badly wrong.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Very true. When I put it in my HM time, it gives me a much more reasonable 4:10 which is right along my 4:10-4:20 goal for my next full (I mostly just want to take 26-30 mins off my last time).
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options

My current 5K time predicts a slower marathon than my current marathon time. It's possible to have all the times match if you train for them. Of course someone running her firt 5K then trying to predict a marathon time with it wouldn't be able to run that...

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    @Training2BeFast - When is the last time you really ran an all out effort in a 5K race?
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

My current 5K time predicts a slower marathon than my current marathon time. It's possible to have all the times match if you train for them.

I agree with this - you need to train for each distance specifically if you want them all to match. I couldn't line up my 5k time with my (much better) marathon time or even with my half marathon time until I really dropped my weekly mileage and devoted several weeks to much more targeted speedwork. And four weeks out from my next marathon there is no way I'd be able to match that 5k PR right now.
  • JustWant2Run
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »
    @Training2BeFast - When is the last time you really ran an all out effort in a 5K race?

March 2014 haha... But it's also predicting a slower half than the one I ran one month later in April 2014.

I honestly have 0 interest in racing a 5K anytime soon, for the same reasons than Litsy just said. I don't want to devote a training block to 5K specific speedwork/training.

But I am racing a half in 3.5 weeks and I'm hoping to get a new PR to put into McMillans :)
  • JustWant2Run
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When you head into a race you've been training hard for, how do you set up your goals in your mind?

A,b,c goal? Hardest first or last? By level of happiness? Do you base them off a calculator?

And to answer the original question... I usually set up 3 goals.

A: is the one I would be over the moon with if it happened (In my case sub 3:30)
    B: is my "real" goal (In my case BQ)
    C: is my "I will still be happy but a bit disappointed goal" (PR)

I will train for my B goal, but might decide closer to race day if A is doable or not, depending on how my training went, how I feel prior to the race and things like weather etc etc...
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The calculators make me laugh. I use them as my "take this time add 15 seconds per mile & maybe that can be your A goal".. But I think I establish goals based on training paces & past experience. If I can NOT hit 6x 1 mile repeats at a certain pace, I probably can NOT run a half at that pace or faster. If I can run a 20 min "tempo" at 6:25 pace, I should be able to run 6:00 5k pace. Just using workouts & past experience for A & B goals.. For the C or D goals it's basically "what can I shoot for that gives me a reason to finish ".. For Boston, my A goal might be 3:15.. My C goal might be 3:35.. My D goal might be finish lol ;-)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My mcmillan prediction is 3:02 and I'm going for sub three. But I want to control my expectations. I like the a,b,c goal idea but I almost think of it like this in my head:

A-PR/easiest goal
    B- the goal that happens if I can't run negative split
    C- the goal goal

A-sub 3:10:00
    B-sub 3:05
    C-sub 3:00

Or maybe in ascending order of happiness:

Sub 3:10- happy
    Sub 3:05- elated
    Sub 3:00- happy crying at the finish line
  • JustWant2Run
    Options

I like that!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Sub 4:10- happy
    Sub 4:05- elated
    Sub 3:00- I was riding a bike

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My mcmillan prediction is 3:02 and I'm going for sub three. But I want to control my expectations. I like the a,b,c goal idea but I almost think of it like this in my head:

A-PR/easiest goal
    B- the goal that happens if I can't run negative split
    C- the goal goal

A-sub 3:10:00
    B-sub 3:05
    C-sub 3:00

Or maybe in ascending order of happiness:

Love it too!

Usually my "happy" goal is a goal I am almost certain I can achieve.
    My "elated" goal leaves me feeling like I gave it my best effort.
    "Crying at the finish line" goal is "Did that just really happen?". I only had that once and that was after my HM PR last October. I was so convinced that it was a fluke that I was afraid to even try to beat it on my next HM. Coincidentally, I was only 1:20 slower on a harder course while the whole time I was telling myself to relax and have fun because I wasn't going to PR. Taught me a good lesson and next time it's "PR or Die trying!"

• briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't race much however when I do I like to set up A, B, C goals based on how I feel my training is going. My marathon in 4 weeks is a bit different as it is my 1st in over 12 years and I have absolutely no desire to "race" it or push myself in terms of pace. It is absolutely a "go out and enjoy it the best you can" type race. My goals are then:

C - not to have an asthma attack ;)
    B - Sub 4:00
    A - Sub 3:50

As long as C happens then B should be no problem at all. If I am feeling good at Mile 20 then I plan on picking it up a bit and hopefully finish closer to my A goal. Really though I would be elated with just C! lol

Come May I want to start training for an August HM for which I have actual racing goals for (A - 1:32-1:33, B - 1:35, C - 1:40).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Sub 4:10- happy
    Sub 4:05- elated
    Sub 3:00- I was riding a bike

Mine would be:
    Sub 4:10 - riding a bike
    Sub 3:00 - I apparated Harry Potter style

I've never run a marathon so I kid.
    I plan on running on next year (October 2016) and my current goals for it are such:
    A - finish without dying
    B - finish without walking
    C - (I have no C goal for this lol)

I've got a half coming up in less than 2 weeks. I just want to beat 2:06, preferably by a minute or two instead of just seconds lol.
  • JustWant2Run
    Options
    For my full in 8 weeks...

Sub 3:40- Happy
    Sub 3:35- Happy crying at the finish line (BQ!!)
    Sub 3:30- HOLY *kitten*!!!

I like that instead of letters :)