Anyone lifting weights?

Options
bm1409
bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
I was just wondering if anyone toned their arms by lifting weights. I would sure like to be able to wear tanks this summer and have my arms look good. If you got good results are you using more weights/less reps or more reps/less weights?

Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    No sorry ... I'm not into weights
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have an arm work out, in theory, but I don't do it often enough, I'm always rushing to get out of the gym before traffic gets bad on weekdays. When I do it, I do 3 sets of 12-15lb with moderate weight, plus 3 sets of modified push ups. I do all my stuff on machines, an anti rotation pulley exercise for triceps and a seated rowing pulley thing for other parts of my arms.

I have noticed a slight bit of difference in my arms, but I'm not sure how much is from weights vs. weight loss. I am purposefully losing my weight gradually [goal is 1 lb per week] at a slow rate, in an attempt to help my skin recover as much as it can-- I don't know if that will be successful or not. My arms are noticeably smaller though.
  • bibliocephalus
    Options
    Ignore the lb after the number 15. Typing too fast!
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I am hoping my arms get smaller too. I seem to be maintaining right now. These last 15 pounds dont seem to be going anywhere.
  • bibliocephalus
    Options
    Are you taking measurements too? If you've only recently started lifting, you could be getting smaller and more toned, without seeing a big change on the scale. That was true for me for a couple of weeks in the beginning.

• clensor1955
    clensor1955 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I lift weights in the fall & winter, but primarily run & cycle the rest of the year. Weights definitely help with strength and muscle definition. I maintain core and upper body year round by doing at least one strength training session a week. I do more weight and less reps in the fall & winter, and more reps less weight in the spring & summer. You should try it, but take it easy, slow and steady is the best way.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I have some weights at home & occasionally I use them for working out..
    I understand that weights are as good as cardio exercises. Is that correct?
  • clensor1955
    clensor1955 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Weights build lean muscle and will give you added strength. I think cardio burns more calories in a shorter amount of time. My opinion is to do both. They are both beneficial but in different ways.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thank you I really need to get my act together & schedule more time to exercise..
    I find I walk every day.. But that's not enough.
    I have a few Jillian micheals DVD that incorporates weights..
    Watch this space
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a mix of (45 min-60 min) daily of the treadmill and top it off with 15 min on the recumbent bike or a 15 min beginners dumbell workout (alternating days).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    I understand that weights are as good as cardio exercises. Is that correct?

In what sense?

If we are talking "toning" (sorry but that's an expression that causes teeth grinding to most people that lift!) for arms then weights/resistence exercise will build strength and if done often enough with enough stress on the muscles then muscle mass can be increased over time.

General advice is low reps for strength and high reps for hypertrophy (muscle growth) and strength endurance but it's not all or nothing. Far more important to use enough weight to overload the muscles than worry about reps for most people.

If we are talking calorie burns then there's no real comparison - cardio burns far more.
    (But obviously calorie balance is the deciding factor for weight/fat loss.)

For "toned" arms people will need to take into account muscle mass, the amount of fat covering the muscle and in particular for us 50+ the factor of loose skin.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I was talking calorie burn, sijomial, this is what I concentrate on mostly.. im not really up on all the techno stuff.. basic that me smile:
    You certainly know what your talking about. What do you think would be good for me to do? any advice welcome...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    I was talking calorie burn, sijomial, this is what I concentrate on mostly.. im not really up on all the techno stuff.. basic that me smile:
    You certainly know what your talking about. What do you think would be good for me to do? any advice welcome...

Then for burning calories then there's only one winner and that's cardio. But as you should be eating back exercise calories anyway..... :smile:

Ideally (IMHO) a person's routine should include elements of both weights/resistance and cardio as they confer different health, fitness, strength and body composition benefits.

The 80/20 "rule" applies quite well - the first 20% gives disproportionate benefits but to get to 100% of anything means a lot of dedication and ultimately compromise.

But personal preference and enjoyment makes such a difference for adhering to an exercise routine. No point having an "ideal" exercise regime that you can't stick to.

Should mention that there's a blurred part in the middle where cardio and strength combine. For example Bodypump (cardio with weights), cardio with a big resistance element (rowing for example), weights done in a high tempo circuit training style....
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thankyou sijomial... I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply & advise me.. I will try & incorporate both cardio & weights... let you know how I get on.. :)
  • POHarry
    POHarry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A few years back I did the DVD workout, Supreme 90 (P90X knockoff) and lost 10 pounds in 90 days. Outside of the warmup, which included a little cardio, it was all core and weights. You moved from one exercise to another fairly rapidly and concentrated on higher reps, 10-15. It did have 2 dvds which were cardio. doing that program helped me to conquer jogging that summer.

Now I walk, ride stationary bike, a little jogging and weights. I have lost 10 lbs since January 5. Would like to take off 5 more so I have a range to play with.

It has helped greatly to document my food on a daily basis. I had always tracked my workouts.
  • dv7834
    dv7834 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    More or less what POHarry says. Three yrs ago I took on a personal trainer to help me lose weight. She had me doing cardio 3 x week and weights on alternate days (i.e. one rest day per week). The weight programs were constant motion, no rests, very intense. Here's one of the progs for example:

10 minute warmup on a rower
    10 - 12 reps of 3 sets chest exercises (e.g. dumbbell chest presses, pushups, flyes)
    10 - 12 reps of 3 sets back exercises
    Bench exercises: 10 genie squats, followed by 10 squat jumps, followed by 10 one legged squats (each leg)
    10 - 12 reps of 3 sets shoulder stabilizing exercises (this was because I have bad shoulders that tend to pop out)
    10 - 12 reps of 3 sets shoulder exercises (She had me do some of these while standing on a bosu... think core)
    Bench exercises: 10 step ups each leg, followed by 10 step ups with knee to chest, followed by 10 jump ups onto bench
    10 - 12 reps of 3 sets triceps exercises
    10 - 12 reps of 3 sets biceps exercises
    Bench exercises: 10 burpees, followed by 20 mountain climbers, followed by 20 bench hops
    10 - 12 reps of 3 abdominal exercises (e.g. twists, wood chops, med ball, whatever)
    Cool down and stretch.

This took about 50 - 60 min. Heart rate was always up. None of this sitting around, contemplating the universe between sets

I lost about 30 lbs in 4 or 5 months. I should add that she told me about this site and that i was to track my food (she wanted me to keep my cals at ~ 1800/day). It worked.

But stuff happens, and now I'm back at it again... sigh.

• BBee5064
    Options
    Some excellent advise ... Thank u :)
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info guys!

sijomial - I also have a problem with degenerated discs and I was wondering if you could offer me some advice on how to improve my weight training program. I have just recently recuperated from my back problem and I'm looking to restart my training. In my exercise room I have a universal machine, some free weights and dumbbells, heavy & speed bag and a treadmill.
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    What type of weights are you using? Free weights, weight machine, kettle bells, etc? I've always assumed that free weights are the best for strength, but like weight machines for the safety factor.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have both free weights and a weight machine.