Another question for my lifting friends!

Options
I am afraid to try and do a bench press. What if I can't even press the bar? Where should I start? I don't want to use the machines anymore, and my gym does have a decent free weight section. I am working on overcoming my feeling of intimidation and tuning out the weird looks I get (not so much because I am a larger woman in the free weight section, but more because I am there wheeling an oxygen tank with me) and having some success with that. I no longer get up and leave just because some guy comes into the "area". But bench presses scare me...also, the gym does not have a proper squat rack, only a smith machine, any advice on squats with no rack, and no one to spot, so that I don't end up hurting myself??

Thanks!!!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Injury avoidance is why I do body-weight exercises (and I still tweak my back once in a while).

Can you do a push-up? If so, you should be able to handle a bit of weight on the bench. Find a friggin spotting partner. :)
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can't do a real push up yet :/ As far as a spotting partner goes, there is never really anyone there when I go, and never the same person twice really, so I don't know who I'd ask.
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't stress if you can't lift the bar, you can totally work up to that! Until then, start with dumbbells say 10 lbs (an olympic bar weighs 45 lbs) so grab your dumbbells and grab a bench and perform the exercise just like you would if you were using the bar.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Thank you! I will try that today!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Start as low as you need to to avoid injury, then work your way up, either by increasing weight or increasing reps. Exhale through your mouth on the press, inhale as you lower. That's how you sound like a "real man" in the gym ;) , but it is for a reason.

I'm pressing 35 right now (12.5 each side plus a 10 bar), which my husband keeps telling me is totally ridiculous for my strength but I've wanted to go at my own pace. I don't want a weight I'll struggle with when I train on my own.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with dumbbells or just the barbell by itself?
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    I did it with dumbbells today. Was only able to 15# ones, but it is a start. Not ready for the bar yet as it weighs 45#.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If you did them at the same time that's 30#! So you'd be nearly there!
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You might feel confident doing a pgorgram like Medhi's StrongLifts as everything is performed inside a power rack. You don't need a spotter as there are rails in the rack to protect you. However, your gym has to have a power rack. While you build up your strength with dumbbells, you should research barbell programs like StrongLifts that are designed to be done by a first time lifter without assistance.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    I have looked at his program and like it, but we don't have a power rack, only a smith machine which I have been told not to use as it fosters bad form. I have just sort of cobbled together a routine based on SL 5x5 and Strong Curves, and what I see other people doing. Modified to suit the fact that medically I am a hot mess and there are certain things I can't do at all yet.

@octobubbles I didn't think of it that way, yeah, I guess I am almost there LOL
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned Dumbbells are preferred instead of instead of a bar because using them includes you stabilizing muscles. You can also use them with squats. Dropping Dumbbells when the exercise is too much is less jarring than a bar.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    @parkdad73 I did notice that unless I concentrated very hard and really worked at it, that I wobbled a lot, so yeah, I can see where that would be true. Thankfully I did not drop anything, this isn't a "lifting" sort of gym and they even have a sign posted about not dropping the free weights LOL. I certainly found it much more challenging than the machines!