Help!?? What do I use for breading?

Options
saraphim41
saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
I like crispy fried chicken, pork chops, etc. I saw somebody here write about coconut flour. Does that work for crispy? And what else could I use? Also for thickening?

Replies

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    did you search for keto+ coatings or see the many recipe sites?
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've heard pork scratchings (do you call them rinds in the US?) grind up well, but when I tried them I just got a gooey mess. But you may have better luck!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-crispy-fried-chicken/

I normally just use the parmesan cheese in the green can.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm odd, I've never liked beading on anything. Yuck! I do love my parm :)
  • saraphim41
    Options
    Thank you. I have looked at some. Almond flour is mentioned, and pork rinds. Also coconut flour. There must be soy flour somewhere? There's soy everything else. Looking for more choices.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I like almond flour, myself, though I am going to try crushed pork rinds soon. I have also heard grated parmesan cheese (the kind in the green can) works also. I avoid soy, so I wouldn't try that, personally.
  • corinemarssdorf
    corinemarssdorf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe a mixture of parmesan cheese and crushed macadamia or cashew nuts perhaps? Dip in egg wash, then parmesan/nut mixture. I've heard almond meal is also used (more texture than blanched almond flour). Let us know what you try :)
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-crispy-fried-chicken/

I normally just use the parmesan cheese in the green can.

We made these the other night and they were SO good. They don’t need long in the pork rinds. Quick dip and fry. Yummm.
  • saraphim41
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I was almost afraid to ask--breading in a LC group? But you came through. I just find I miss a little crunch. Seems liquid takes the crunch out of pork rinds and leaves the fat, so maybe not use them for frying, but hopefully will work on "oven fried."

Are almond, coconut flour, etc. available in regular supermarket, or health food store, or?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    saraphim41 wrote: »
    Thanks, guys. I was almost afraid to ask--breading in a LC group? But you came through. I just find I miss a little crunch. Seems liquid takes the crunch out of pork rinds and leaves the fat, so maybe not use them for frying, but hopefully will work on "oven fried."

Are almond, coconut flour, etc. available in regular supermarket, or health food store, or?

Almond and coconut flour are available in the "big box" supermarkets, like Kroger or probably Walmart. I can't speak for other stores, but in Kroger, it's in the organics "Nature's Market" section, with the other baking stuff. There's usually flax meal, potato starch, and gluten free mixes in the same vicinity.
  • saraphim41
    Options
    Thanks, Dragonwolf. Just finished nutritional checks on all of these products. Carbs too high for now (still on induction), but will keep the info for later. Along with anything more that someone may post?
  • hineybuns
    hineybuns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just made a keto chicken parm that my non-keto hubby said was better than the regular version! If I can track down the recipe I used I'll post it. I want to say it was ruled.me but don't hold me to that (there are some really great recipes on there too even if it wasn't this one). It was a combo of crushed pork rinds/cracklins/chicharrones and parm with a little flax thrown in. I'd read that if the breading mixture gets damp at all it gets yucky so I put just enough of the breading to cover the bottom of a paper plate dipped it in the egg/cream mix then placed it on the rinds and poured more on top to pack it on then *immediately* put it in the heated oil to fry it. Oh and don't forget a little salt and paprika, I can never taste the paprika (I love the taste and use tons of it in my paprikash) but without it I always seem to be missing that ethereal "something".
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are going to oven-fry anything with pork rind breading, I would put it on a rack over the pan. I made oven-fried chicken this week, and while it tasted great, it definitely wasn't crispy, I think because it was sitting in the grease in the pan while it cooked. Next time I am definitely trying a rack.