low carb substitutes

Options
lauradeluna_
lauradeluna_ Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
so since I've only been low carb for about a week I imagine eventually I will hit that point of boredom and want to cave back to pastas and bread. I'm trying to be proactive and find some good substitutes for these things now, ahead of time.

I just saw a recipe for pasta in which she melted mozzerella cheese an added an egg yolk to make the noodles. I have also been seeing many versions of this "oopsie" bread / "cloud" bread.

do any of you have favorite keto/low carb substitutes, recipes, or ideas ? thanks !x

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I substitute beef for bread and pork for donuts.... Fat for sugar...
  • lauradeluna_
    Options
    I substitute beef for bread and pork for donuts.... Fat for sugar...

lol that works I guess.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I love my zoodles and spaghetti squash and cali fried rice.
    I've made some Oopsie but wasn't too thrilled as they are a bit eggy.
    I'm planning on making some bread with flax and other seeds, just need to find a recipe I had saved somewhere. While I love pasta I can't even bother now :)
    You won't get bored if you play with different variety of foods, and get creative. I've never ate things I eat now and I like it.
  • lauradeluna_
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    You won't get bored if you play with different variety of foods, and get creative. I've never ate things I eat now and I like it.

since I'm new to this lifestyle I'm still experimenting and finding new things :) I just feel like right now it's like smoothie, salad, bacon, eggs lol. I'm not sick of it by any means I just feel like I should be eating more of a variety :neutral_face:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The muffin in a minute was good as long as you realize that polyscillium husk is AKA laxitive...
    LOL... It did keep me..."going" though.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Well, breads and pasta can be boring too, right? The less you eat junk the better you'll be. Once I get to my maintenance stage, I will up my carbs slowly up to 50, because I would like to add more fruit, but will not touch anything processed from the box :)
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You will see cauliflower rice mentioned in a lot of places. It never really "did it" for me, the rice made from konjac doesn't really "do it" for me either, BUT, combine the two? Oh heavens, my mind doesn't realize it isn't eating real rice. and it act's like real rice too. So you can use it in soups and under curries etc.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Quick fix that will let you add some more variety - pork rinds + food processor=bread crumb substitute. Perfect for making breading on chicken or holding meatballs together, anywhere you'd normally use breadcrumbs. Also works with pork rinds + freezer bag + rolling pin if you don't have a food processor. they're pretty fragile. Buy extra if you're going to try it, though. Mostly air, so one bag doesn't go all that far making crumbs. We can usually get enough from a bag to make 2 dozen chicken nuggets or 6 decent size pork chops.

• Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I found some good low carb recipes on the Atkins website, and by googling low carb recipes. This adds some variety for me:)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    You will see cauliflower rice mentioned in a lot of places. It never really "did it" for me, the rice made from konjac doesn't really "do it" for me either, BUT, combine the two? Oh heavens, my mind doesn't realize it isn't eating real rice. and it act's like real rice too. So you can use it in soups and under curries etc.

How do you combine them @JPW1990‌ ? Just mix them cooked?
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Rinse the konjac rice, make the cauliflower rice and mix them well.
    Once their mixed I serve up what I want and heat it in the microwave covered (to steam it a bit ).
    I suggest salting the serve too. The konjac rice is pretty blah
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Squash is very versatile, whether its summer, spaghetti, zucchini, etc. Most of it goes well with pasta sauces or just sautéed. I make a dish with raw zucchini shredded with pesto sauce and grape tomatoes that goes over well. Its certainly a good substitute for pasta salad.
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am also a huge fan of Zoodles. I used zucchini mostly. I also will use English cucumbers and make Cuke-Noodles to make a pasta salad. I just add oil/vin and herbs to it. YUMMO!
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I adore zucchini noodles sautéed with a bit of lemon juice and olive oil. I use Miracle Noodles brand fettuccine or rice as well, and love cauliflied rice stirfries. I also make a flatbread using finely riced cauliflower as the base (recipe on my blog). I make a wonderful roasted cauliflower and leek soup that tastes (to me) as good as any creamy potato soup.
  • heartandsoul1
    heartandsoul1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    raventwo ,how do I get to your blog?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    so since I've only been low carb for about a week I imagine eventually I will hit that point of boredom and want to cave back to pastas and bread.

Actually most people experience the opposite: the longer you do it the less cravings are an issue.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    raventwo ,how do I get to your blog?

If you go to my profile, I have the address to it there.