Feet Tingling While Riding

Options
ScrAgnX
ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
While riding today, my feet started to tingle (like they were asleep). I've had this happen in the past occasionally, and never come up with a good solution.

I've loosened my shoes and tightened them to no avail, and I've started wearing technical fabric socks vs cotton. Other internet searches have brought up seat adjustments, but I'm happy with my seat arrangement and not wanting to create saddle discomfort.

I have clip pedals (not clipless), and wear regular tennis shoes. My feet are longish so I'm pushing with my toes more than the ball of my feet. Which is what I think the problem might be rooted. I also tend to raise my heel, and push with my toes; which I'm trying to focus on not doing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? Or is this just be a side effect of being overweight and cycling?

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I would suggest switching to clipless for sure (sounds like you have trouble with for placement) but if you're not ready for that, at least try some stiffer soled shoes.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    definitely get some proper cycling shoes with a more rigid sole - something like the mountainbike shoes that will take recessed cleats would be a good first step. If you still get "pins-and-needles" then perhaps look to trying clipless pedals like the Shimano SPD's.
    -
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    ScrAgnX wrote: »
    ...I have clip pedals (not clipless), and wear regular tennis shoes....

There is your problem. You need to get some stiff sole cycling shoes. Using toe clips is okay if that is what you prefer. Stiff soles are needed no matter what pedals you use.

I prefer mountain bike shoes because they can be worn off the bike for a little walking.

I do not like "walkable" cycling shoes because they have more flex.

• ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Thanks @gooseonabike‌, @thebigyin, and @beemerphile1‌.

I'll have to start shopping for some cycling shoes it seems. Glad to have a direction to go.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Even with cycling shoes, when I get tingling in my feet it has to do with the nerves on the bottom of my feet. More often than not, they do not tingle, but they feel like they are on fire. It is the same thing. I was putting too much stress on a few nerves. What changed it was pulling up on the back pedal. This took the constant pressure off the nerves. You might be able to do this with toeclips and tennis shoes, since that was the point of toeclips-to allow you to pull up. Some one once told me that when you pedal have the foot go in circles, and not just elevators of up and down. This adjust the pressure on all the nerves in the foot.
  • jmasci20
    jmasci20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and solved it with a fitting from my bike guru, which took lots of unneeded pressure off my feet (among other things).
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    jmasci20 wrote: »
    ...took lots of unneeded pressure off my feet (among other things).

There's very little worse than un-needed pressure on your other things...