Not fit enough!

Options
punkuate
punkuate Posts: 127 Member
Ok, so I've been trying my best but I'm obese and running is really very difficult for me! I just can't run every time I'm prompted to so I've been running for the first 60 seconds, then just keep walking through the next run prompt and pick it back up the next time. Because I can't manage all the running, I'm doing all of this in one direction and walking back so I'm out for twice as long.

I feel pretty crap that I can't do it yet but if I just stick with week one for a while I'll be able to run all the times I'm supposed to eventually, right? Please tell me I'm not a lost cause!!! :smile:

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Slow down your running speed, seriously slow it down, this will help you last through the runs.
    Persevere with the program and you'll get there.
  • punkuate
    Options
    Honestly, I'm barely jogging. I carry most of my weight in my lower half so it's a struggle to even lift my legs enough.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Walk for now if you cannot run. Eventually you'll build up enough strength in your legs to run small intervals!
  • nala3177
    nala3177 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just slow it down! You can do this! One of my favorite quotes I've seen about starting running is "you may be slow but you're still lapping everyone on the couch" stick with it! You can do it!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. You can do this.
    Try to run slower. Almost all of us start too fast, yet think we cannot go slower. It is possible to run slower than you walk.
    For a week, run every second run segment to give your body time to adjust. Then increase the running segments (run two, walk one). During this time, concentrate on running slow. Then start the program and run every run segment.
    Take time to adjust but don't give up. Running is worth the effort and you can do this.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I'm sure you can if you keep on going slowly and at your own pace. It doesn't matter if Week1 actually takes you 4 weeks. Hey, you started, which is a good thing.

You know what? I'm 41. All through school I could not run more than 200m. I even was completely out of breath after 100m. And now I can run for 3 minutes. That's massive for me.
  • punkuate
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll definitely keep trying. I'm in a whole heap of muscle pain when I get home so I know I've worked hard even if I haven't quite succeeded!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    You succeeded by getting out there and doing it to the best of your ability. Way to go!
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Walking is wonderful too! Add the running in where you can, and work your way up. Just keep moving :) You're doing so great!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    punkuate wrote: »
    Ok, so I've been trying my best but I'm obese and running is really very difficult for me! I just can't run every time I'm prompted to so I've been running for the first 60 seconds, then just keep walking through the next run prompt and pick it back up the next time. Because I can't manage all the running, I'm doing all of this in one direction and walking back so I'm out for twice as long.

I feel pretty crap that I can't do it yet but if I just stick with week one for a while I'll be able to run all the times I'm supposed to eventually, right? Please tell me I'm not a lost cause!!! :smile:

You are not a lost cause at all. I would recommend that you just walk the 30 minutes and try to do it every day, it will build your stamina. Once you feel comfortable with that, then return to the C25k app. Looking at your profile you want to lose a lot of weight, more than I did going from 20stone to 13stone. Take it easy, it is important that you find it enjoyable and doable. Having negative feelings because you think you have failed is not useful. You should be proud that you are active and that you have asked for help. Keep going.

If it helps June 15 last year I couldn't run for 5 mins, last weekend I ran a half marathon. You can do this, it may take time but if you put the time and effort in, you can get there too. If you want some support send a friend request. Good luck on your journey.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I don't really have anything to add to what has already been said. Just keep moving. Walking is great, too! Add in running slowly (very slowly) to your walking intervals. You are doing great by just getting out there and moving!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am a very slow runner too. Actually, I don't even call what I do "running" I call it "the fast shuffle"
    Sometimes I look at my shadow, and it almost looks like I'm running backwards. Seriously. I don't know if I'm just delirious and exhausted or what. All I know is that I am slow.

It's OK.

I've completed this program twice before. (have been inconsistent about working out over the years) and the best advice I've ever received: "Slow down. Waaaaay down"
    This program is not about building speed or to get you ready to win a medal. It's about consistency and building a little bit of endurance.

So the key is sticking with it.
    It is better to have super-duper slow days and completing the sessions. Than having an awesome distance or speed day and then being to beat up mentally and physically that you don't want to do it anymore for weeks or at all.

You can do it!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    When I started I could barely run for 60 seconds, really. I was dead tired at the end of that work out. Now, I can run for 30 minutes straight (covering about 2.25 miles) I never thought I would be able to run for more than a minute, really. It takes time to build up endurance. I started running in October 2014 so it's taken a bit more time than the 9 week C25K program is scheduled around BUT I made some small changes to get me where I wanted to go. I repeated a couple weeks and now I'm scheduled for my first (EVER!!!!) 5K run the last weekend in April.

Rome wasn't built in a day and you won't be able to conquer everything in one day either! Just keep going. Keep trying. Keep running.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    You succeeded by getting out there and doing it to the best of your ability. Way to go!

This, times a million!

I'm currently sidelined by a shoulder issue, but *do keep getting out there*. Don't quit, even if you have to walk. I'm walking and hope to someday get back to running...but until then, I'm not giving up.

You are NOT a lost cause. You ARE worth it!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll definitely keep trying. I'm in a whole heap of muscle pain when I get home so I know I've worked hard even if I haven't quite succeeded!

You should stretch after. I was in agonizing pain the first couple of weeks too, today i stretched after and now I feel almost fine. It is no joke how much stretching helps. Just do some simple stretches like bending over with feet shoulder width apart and hold for 30second. It is a miracle
  • yirara
    Options
    I'm not a fast runner either. I finally managed to run somewhat faster today, and was curious what calories MFP would give me. Found out my pace is not even available here! I'd still need to log walking. Argh! So annoying.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Yirara, when I hit those "in between" paces (which is most of the time), I would put in my time, see the calories that MFP gave me for "if" I had run all that time, then enter my real calories burned as per my GPS watch. I would get a thrill seeing my real calories get closer and closer to the MFP calories. That was how I realized that, slow as I was, I was getting better.
    Do you have a watch or band to count your calories? If not, try logging your run on gmap-pedometer (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/) or some such other site that will calculate calories.
    It's kind of fun to see your calories creep up to MFP's and, eventually, choose a faster speed and start doing this all over again. :smile:
  • yirara
    Options
    I use my own calculations for it anyway, PaytraB, but was curious what MFP would give me. The slowest I found in the data base is a pace of 7:30min/km, while I'm more in the 8:30 range. That's annoying.
  • TaninaFit
    TaninaFit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 27 and I had problems too. I choose to do the first weeks twice, for example, week 1, then week 1 again, then week 2, then week 2 again. You get the picture.
    I'm over 40, very out of shape and didn't want to push myself. Like you describe it I too had to walk a couple of the "run" prompts and I think that is fair. Then I would just repeat the week till I could do all the "run" prompted. I'd rather progress too slow, but still progress.
  • traveling12015
    traveling12015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    nala3177 wrote: »
    Just slow it down! You can do this! One of my favorite quotes I've seen about starting running is "you may be slow but you're still lapping everyone on the couch" stick with it! You can do it!!

I love this quote!! My advice is "persistence not perfection." Just keep at it and you will make your goal. Great advice has already been given. In fact, I'm going to use some of it for myself :)