Low carb alcohol?

Options
I'm going to a wedding this weekend and was wondering what I should drink? I usually stick to beer as I'm a total lightweight - but it looks like I'm going to have to hit the hard stuff as there's less carbs. Has anyone drank on keto? I heard it lowers your tolerance (and my tolerance is woeful!).

Replies

• sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Distilled spirits don't contain any carbohydrates per serving. Whether you choose vodka, rum, gin or whiskey, any serving of the alcohol is free of carbs. The carb count of a mixed drink, however, can be notably high. If you enjoy the blend of rum with cola, for example, note that a 4-ounce serving of cola contains 13 grams of carbs. If counting your carbs, choose a diet version of your preferred soda, as diet versions are lower in carbs. copied from http://www.livestrong.com/article/449797-carbohydrate-counter-for-alcoholic-beverages/
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Red wine is lower in carbs I believe.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    get a glass of something and just walk round with it in your hand (got that tip from another keto poster)... you don't have to drink it (unless you want to) - that way you look sociable but you don't have to add to your carb count.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Being on keto longer term has reduced my tolerance down to nearly nothing. I'm an infrequent drinker now but it was my birthday last week and I had one glass of white wine. Hello, headspin! The restaurant insisted on giving me a free birthday shot as well, but I couldn't finish it! This never used to happen to me pre-keto. YMMV.
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks for your replies guys! Total oblivion that's a really good idea that I may employ when I'm out for a quiet night but I want to let my hair down! Sarah thanks for that - going to have some vodka I think. Though I thought it was made from potatoes!
  • MariaMia816
    MariaMia816 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Champagne has only 1.5 carb per 4 oz.
    I just had Bai5 & Grey Goose 2 net carbs/10 calories for a whole bottle of Bai5 (16 oz). AND ITS REFRESHING....its going to be my summer time go to cocktail :)
    http://www.drinkbai.com/bai5
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I drink dry red wine, which typically has 3 or fewer carbs per glass. I have a glass every night and still lose weight without any problem.
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh guys. I said I'd better practice before I let myself loose on society...tame night out (by Irish standards. 4 single vodkas)....I've just stopped throwing up about 5 minutes ago. Couldn't keep water down and was just throwing up bile! I think I'll do what the body builders do and car up on the day...I have never felt so rough in my whole entire life :(
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Poor you!