everything you ever wanted to know about devilled eggs

Options
totaloblivia
totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/apr/01/how-make-perfect-devilled-eggs-canape

it's a bit uk based, but i loved this article and am planning to try at the weekend

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Thank you for posting. Neat hints for making them better!
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I love deviled eggs.! :D
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Does anyone have one of those special egg serving platters? I've never Sen one here in the UK!
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Sen??? Seen, I mean!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have one of those special egg serving platters? I've never seen one here in the UK!

Ya, my mom has 2 actually :)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have one of those special egg serving platters? I've never Sen one here in the UK!

I have 4. 3 for using at home, 1 with a lid for taking places. :smile:
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Sen??? Seen, I mean!

I have a pretty gold and white one but I'm in the US, it was my aunts and is at least 30 years old. I never use it because I never make them. My SIL usually brings the deviled eggs in a plastic tray thing so they must still make them.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    cool! Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to have to look online cos I think those eggs are going to be a staple! A small one with a lid would be great for packed lunches.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Yum, yum, yum ! I have an old plastic devilled egg container with a lid, and a tiny funky ceramic one that only holds 6 devilled eggs, and has a ceramic bunny in the middle of the plate, very cute and Eastery.

The only thing is for my devilled eggs this weekend, I will use store bought free range eggs instead of my farm fresh eggs, since the farm ones are impossible to peel without gouging them and making them look like they've been roughed up before laying down on the platter... maybe I'll use my crinkle cutter to make them fancy.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Tupperware used to make the devilled eggs containers. Ebay might have them.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Yum, yum, yum ! I have an old plastic devilled egg container with a lid, and a tiny funky ceramic one that only holds 6 devilled eggs, and has a ceramic bunny in the middle of the plate, very cute and Eastery.

The only thing is for my devilled eggs this weekend, I will use store bought free range eggs instead of my farm fresh eggs, since the farm ones are impossible to peel without gouging them and making them look like they've been roughed up before laying down on the platter... maybe I'll use my crinkle cutter to make them fancy.

The store bought free range are difficult to peel as well. I read somewhere that it's because they are so fresh and typically an older egg is easier to peel.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is true about the age of the eggs. I was supposed to pick up 6 dozen eggs this Saturday, but chose to pick up after Easter instead because I know I'd have trouble with them that fresh, they're impossible to peel when fresh. But I already ate all my previous pick-up eggs, and don't have time before Easter to age them. Hhmm...wonder how old the ones in the store are ?
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    better yet? egg salad. Eggs and mayo GOOD mayo. salt pepper and a launch into heaven.
    Deviled are more work. Just chop 'em up and add the mayo. Same thing.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Check the labels, some will be older than others. If nothing else they still taste yummy even if they aren't pretty :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Right after I read this thread last night I made 6 devilled eggs. I ate 4.5 (9 halves) today to break my fast. Thanks for posting!

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    @DittoDan bet you needed them after your mega fast!