HRM/Fitness Trackers

Options
c4chaos610
c4chaos610 Posts: 42 Member
Hello all,
I was wondering if any of you wear a fitness tracker during your practices.
I study Judo and was considering getting a wearable fitness tracker, but I'm not sure of which one to get.
It just seems like the default "Judo, tkd, kickboxing" isn't very accurate when I record my exercise.
Recommendations would be great.
Thanks.

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a HRM to classes. But I have a Polar that I wear when I'm working on my own. I have a pretty good idea of how much I burn at what level of exertion, so I either estimate my classes or just log them as "1 calorie."
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I can't image trying to wear a fitness monitor during Randori! It's going to fall off, get broken, and/or bruise you up in the process. I would recommend using the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu rating for the amount of time you are doing heavy drilling or Randori and Vigorous Calisthenics for warmup and technical work.
  • aeribus
    aeribus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've read posts on another board where people have opted to wear their trackers folded inside their belt on other unusual places to continue counting their steps during training. I have a Fitbit Flex and while I did wear it to class a couple of times, I'm not a big fan of doing so. First, especially in arts that involve throwing, falling, etc. your step count is almost guaranteed to be off and likely your calorie burned cout. You also run a fairly high risk of landing on it and either potentially breaking it or hurting yourself or someone else.

I do agree that the default calorie loss listed in MFP most likely isn't very accurate, but personally I'd rather take that and use it as an estimate instead of risking injuring myself or someone else. If you do want a set number, maybe hide your tracker somewhere (in your belt?) for a class or two and try to get an approximate calorie count and then just key it in manually from that point forward. I would just be extremely careful since especially doing judo you'll have a higher chance of breaking it or hurting yourself.
  • Yzfdude1
    Yzfdude1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM while training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I find the numbers are accurate for me. I have the cloth strap and a bluetooth HRM (zephyr hxm) I use athletic tape to keep the hrm puck on the cloth strap and then I wear it a little off center of my chest.

Only had one training partner know I was wearing it. it's sweat proof, and decently accurate while rolling. Not sure how good it would do while being thrown around in judo.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I use a scoche Rhythm+ which wraps around the forearm - it's pretty low profile, sweat resistant, shock resistant.. I seldom use it during partner work, but when I do, I turn it inward to keep it from getting directly hit during sparring (Taekwondo)... I find it pretty useful for tracking calories (albeit with a grain of salt for accuracy of burn rate), and for working on endurance training.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I wear my fitbit clipped to the waist band of my Gi and then tie my belt over it. Never had a problem.